SAU Community

Decision Issues

I would go S14.... if you looking for lowend power and more of a boost hit then i would pick teh S14 as i think an SR20 has a snapper feel to it when it hits boost compared to a R33 which sort of builds

Plus factory comparison to factory comparison the GTR's usually have slightly less lag than the RB25's because of the twin turbo setup.

I've driven an R32 GTR with Garrett T28's and the engine still had plenty of grunt and full boost by around 3200rpm. Was excellent. Mind you I haven't driven an R33 GTST so can't really compare.

What the hell..?

Full boost by 3200 RPM? That was quick LOL!

I'd say full boost by 5000+ RPM...

No surprise with the Garrett T28's as they are stock turbo's for the R32 GTR...

Were you thinking they were aftermarket?

:)

i am probably incorrect about the GTR having only driven as a passanger in one once or twice....

unfortunantly though they are extremely over my budget so as much as I would like consider them, there is no pooint :)

fair enough - we got the wrong impression...

5000rpm?

No it would've been around 3200rpm.

These were modified (high flowed T28's) with a different intake wheel

He was running 12psi. Nothing major.

What the hell..?

Full boost by 3200 RPM? That was quick LOL!

I'd say full boost by 5000+ RPM...

No surprise with the Garrett T28's as they are stock turbo's for the R32 GTR...

Were you thinking they were aftermarket?

:devil:

I've owned 2x R33 GTS25t Skylines and now have a 180sx.

I found the R33 more comfortable. The RB25 feels really smooth and has an awesome gearbox compared to the SR.

The s-chassis feels alot more agile and responsive than the 33 though. I also found the 33s to have more bottom end power or torque though.

My r33s would pull well from low in the rev range and at 100ks in 5th gear you could put your foot down and they would still respond ok.

My 180 does not pull very well under 3000rpm and at 100ks in 5th gear if you wanna speed up in any sort of hurry you really need to downshift.

But my 180sx does have a GT2860RS .86 so is probably a bit laggier than a s14 or s15 with standard t28.

If you want something to take alot of abuse and comfort is a priority I would go R33.

If you want something cheaper on parts to just play around with and like it to handle well for pretty cheap I'd go S14.

Either way I think they are both great cars and I doubt you'll be disappointed with either. I think a nice S15 is probably a bit out of your price range though.

Just throwing it out there:

WRX

Evo 5

Both would be like bullets off the mark.

Could also look at Aristos, Chasers, Legnums, Soarers (rare in manual) or an earlier series RX7 (obviously not so great down low).

I'd personally be getting an Aristo or something similar. 2J is one torquey beast and VERY easy to get power out of. They're subtle, don't stand out and

a very comfortable cruiser.

Just throwing it out there:

WRX

Evo 5

Both would be like bullets off the mark.

Could also look at Aristos, Chasers, Legnums, Soarers (rare in manual) or an earlier series RX7 (obviously not so great down low).

I'd personally be getting an Aristo or something similar. 2J is one torquey beast and VERY easy to get power out of. They're subtle, don't stand out and

a very comfortable cruiser.

thought about the wrx evo IV's great looking cars with nice interiors, fit right into my price range also (althought a bit more pricey than s14's n r33's) but i belive the s14 n r33 are easier to get power out of as opposed to a wrx?

I've owned 2x R33 GTS25t Skylines and now have a 180sx.

I found the R33 more comfortable. The RB25 feels really smooth and has an awesome gearbox compared to the SR.

The s-chassis feels alot more agile and responsive than the 33 though. I also found the 33s to have more bottom end power or torque though.

My r33s would pull well from low in the rev range and at 100ks in 5th gear you could put your foot down and they would still respond ok.

My 180 does not pull very well under 3000rpm and at 100ks in 5th gear if you wanna speed up in any sort of hurry you really need to downshift.

But my 180sx does have a GT2860RS .86 so is probably a bit laggier than a s14 or s15 with standard t28.

If you want something to take alot of abuse and comfort is a priority I would go R33.

If you want something cheaper on parts to just play around with and like it to handle well for pretty cheap I'd go S14.

Either way I think they are both great cars and I doubt you'll be disappointed with either. I think a nice S15 is probably a bit out of your price range though.

thanks man, that's very helpful exactly the kind of review i was after. cheers

I've owned an s14a and 34 gtt.

I think both have really good engines, both are reliable.

Silvia is lighter and does feel a bit cheaper than the skyline.

With your budget I'd go for the R33 you could pick up a nice s2 with 200rwkw. S14a's are nice and they are locally delivered which I personally see as better. But they also seem to be a bit overpriced in general.

I've owned an s14a and 34 gtt.

I think both have really good engines, both are reliable.

Silvia is lighter and does feel a bit cheaper than the skyline.

With your budget I'd go for the R33 you could pick up a nice s2 with 200rwkw. S14a's are nice and they are locally delivered which I personally see as better. But they also seem to be a bit overpriced in general.

thanks mate, i do prefer the front end of an s14 but i think the reliability and ease of power from the r33 seems to be attracting my attention a little more... i get my fulls end of this week, and i will start test driving sum cars this weekend, should be fun

I don't think you've driven the right one.

The R33 GT-R is so much more upgradable anyway - and it can stick like glue around a corner.

A GT-R is a GT-R. When Shoisman took the R33 GT-R around Nurburgring in less than 8' & Kirosawa in 8'01" those cars were stock.

Nothing else could touch em at the time.

So to increase low end power, go for Propellers like 2530s, HKS-SS, GT2860-5s, and don't forget to get 700cc injectors, fuel pump, yaddayadda

to increase low end power.... get 2860-5s'??? um.... (cough, cough)

anyone care to cough with me........

narrowed down to S14a and R33, leaning more towards the R33 now having done a few more searches, i think the Rb25 has more of what i am looking for interms of power delivery (general consensus is that they deliver a more smoother even flow of power [correct me if im wrong] ) the sr20 seems to start a bit slow and then suddenly want to kill u when full boost is on... difficult to put into words, but the way a sr20 performs (not in terms of power, just overall) it seems the more fragile engine compared to the rb25?

in terms of appearance s14a kills the 33 imo, BUT the back seat space of the 33 is something i'd rather use since i dont drink i am usually the DD and dont wanna have to listen 2 whinging..

i am turning my 15k into hard cash to i can start genuinely test driving some cars, up until now, i was hesitant because i hated time wasters wanting to c my car just so i could "rev it to vtec" only to realise vtec just made noise and then i had to change gear and do it all over again, so i didn't wanna waste peoples time for making comparisons lol

i am turning my 15k into hard cash to i can start genuinely test driving some cars, up until now

I don't really know what you mean by turning your 15k into hard cash but go the 33 man. They're really cheap, fkn hard to break and have heaps of potential...

The price differences between the S14 and S15 have really dropped recently. You may be able to find an S15 around your budget but it generally will not be in the best condition. A good condition S14 is probably more realistic.