SAU Community

Rb26 On A Rx7

Have you seen rotary guys giving it a go? I have... They push just as hard as piston drivers do...

And the OP admitted his one letting go was a human error issue, not a mechanical flaw...

Agreed :nyaanyaa:

Ping & ROTAR = ONOES :nyaanyaa:

It's actually amazing as i was having a very similar discussion with my mates yesterday over a few beers as one is looking to buy the others FC and turn it into a 1100kg track car for shits & giggles!

^+1

I thought all they did in the states was 2j everything...either way...you don't need 1000hp for a drift car. Can get reliable usable power out of both :)

I have a huge soft spot for rotors...my next daily is tossing up between a gti-r pulsar or some sort of rotor...just worried i would get carried away...

Awesome conversion either way....hope you can work it all out

Aiden

A serious question.. why did you go for the rb instead of a 2jz?

I'd take 6 throttle bodies over 1 any day.

The RB26 I think is a better designed engine. Fair enough it has cast pistons, but thats not the be all and end all. Its not all about power.

Have you seen rotary guys giving it a go? I have... They push just as hard as piston drivers do...

And the OP admitted his one letting go was a human error issue, not a mechanical flaw...

yeh i get what ur saying.. i know it was human error.. but im more than 100% sure they would be thinking "f*k this things gona blow " at the bak of their heads while giving it to a rotary rather than "its gona blow " in a piston engine lol its known fact a rotary will neva last as long as a piston engine...

They cost 1/3 the cost to rebuild. :)

Detonation is the major issue with rotary's, it's not as easy/forgiving as a piston motor so very important.

Hence even a good tune can be bad, you need an excellent setup to complement a rotor is the only issue.

There is no way anyone would think "this things gonna blow", no way in the world mate. That's just silly rumour style of view from uneducated people outside the rotary world :)

If you have a decent setup, and a tuner that is on the ball, they are no more unreliable than a piston motor IMO.

• Like 1

They cost 1/3 the cost to rebuild. :)

Detonation is the major issue with rotary's, it's not as easy/forgiving as a piston motor so very important.

Hence even a good tune can be bad, you need an excellent setup to complement a rotor is the only issue.

There is no way anyone would think "this things gonna blow", no way in the world mate. That's just silly rumour style of view from uneducated people outside the rotary world :)

If you have a decent setup, and a tuner that is on the ball, they are no more unreliable than a piston motor IMO.

Detonation is definately the killer - and when you see plenty of RX8's that detonate on std ECU with the knock sensor still attatched and in "good working order" you start to realise that if the factory cant detect knock then most tuners aren't going to have a chance.

well if you built a 13b and squice 412 hp to the wheels, and on the last dino pull it blows up, and the apex seal takes your $1500 turbo on the way out. you will think twice to do it again don you think...

i would ask the question why it blew up. Folding an apex seal would either mean it was chattering it ass off (detonation) or built wrong as 412 is hardly pushing the envelope. Many many, many years ago the first engine in my FD died after my first track day.... the engine builder forgot to tell me to run premix... needless to say the next engine lasted without a hitch @ 320-350rwkw with the right 2 stroke mix :).

That said nice project, i would have gone the ls2 route but being differrent is often half the challenge.

Good luck with it.

^+1

I thought all they did in the states was 2j everything...either way...you don't need 1000hp for a drift car. Can get reliable usable power out of both :)

I have a huge soft spot for rotors...my next daily is tossing up between a gti-r pulsar or some sort of rotor...just worried i would get carried away...

Awesome conversion either way....hope you can work it all out

Aiden

The states don't have a large supply of RB's over there.

From memory the 33 and 34 can NOT be driven on the road, hence, tuning houses know SFA about them.

That being said, the RB26 in Australia has the exhaust on the correct side for big pipes clearing steering racks etc. The 2JZ does not.

In America, it is the opposite...

thanks man. it is fun, but the problem is that i don't now what chassis this engine came out of "i now is not a r34 lol" and the info in the US is very little. wiring harness is a must.. haw can i determine this out?

Do a search for "nissan fast" there is a thread where people will put the details into the fast program and should be able to come up with what car you engine came out of (or you could download the program of torrents), just get all the numbers you can off the engine and post them up there.

i would ask the question why it blew up. Folding an apex seal would either mean it was chattering it ass off (detonation) or built wrong as 412 is hardly pushing the envelope. Many many, many years ago the first engine in my FD died after my first track day.... the engine builder forgot to tell me to run premix... needless to say the next engine lasted without a hitch @ 320-350rwkw with the right 2 stroke mix :).

That said nice project, i would have gone the ls2 route but being differrent is often half the challenge.

Good luck with it.

+1, im a ford man but there is no arguing with the benefits in weight, torque and power of an LSx engine.

Edited by W0rp3D

IT IS A fc s5 NOT A fd

True that! I honestly didn't look @ the pics... kinda just assumed it would be a FD :(

You can get a FC to around 1100kg's without heavy stripping (loom etc) and the factory rotary (1000kg's if you really get serious)...

So it'll be interesting what you get yours down too in terms of weight once you fit motor/gerabox. :(

True that! I honestly didn't look @ the pics... kinda just assumed it would be a FD :(

You can get a FC to around 1100kg's without heavy stripping (loom etc) and the factory rotary (1000kg's if you really get serious)...

So it'll be interesting what you get yours down too in terms of weight once you fit motor/gerabox. :(

lol i toke the glove box out as part of me getting the dash out and jut the glove box weight like ten pounds...

Nice project you have there. It's good to be original but the truth is that almost every engine conversion has been done these days, and you get an extra 5 seconds worth of attention for being original lol. I had a Mercedes Benz in my workshop the other day with a 13B in it! I've been original with cars and modifications before and it's fun...but having tried both that and copying what everyone else has already done - the latter is much cheaper, easier on the head and often just as fun.

so your saying..... 4age>LS2?

LOL.

post-71026-1268579796_thumb.jpg

this is a other rx7 with a L67 im swapping on a fc it is a 3.8 supercharged out of the Pontiac GTP front wheel drive so i make it rear wheel drive don't ask me way, i like to do the unusual stuff the more difficult the better it is if that makes any sense

Interesting, I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these front wheel drive L67 for a shoehorn into a Calibra. Did you know we have these engines in rear wheel drive configuration here in Australia? They came out in our VS and VT Holden Commodores. Very underrated engine IMO. You can unleash quite a bit of power doing roller rockers and swapping the supercharger pulley.

Nice project you have there. It's good to be original but the truth is that almost every engine conversion has been done these days, and you get an extra 5 seconds worth of attention for being original lol. I had a Mercedes Benz in my workshop the other day with a 13B in it! I've been original with cars and modifications before and it's fun...but having tried both that and copying what everyone else has already done - the latter is much cheaper, easier on the head and often just as fun.

lol weight till i get mi hands on a VW v10 TDI

Interesting, I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these front wheel drive L67 for a shoehorn into a Calibra. Did you know we have these engines in rear wheel drive configuration here in Australia? They came out in our VS and VT Holden Commodores. Very underrated engine IMO. You can unleash quite a bit of power doing roller rockers and swapping the supercharger pulley.

yep ones more we in America don't get the cool cars to play with. im doing a stage 3 cam, fuel rails, headers and a 2" pulley had to cut the fire wall cus the TB now is in the back an did a custom "intake" its pity cool...

Edited by mazda power by nissan