SAU Community

Please Help Im Ready To Burn This Gtr

hi all

i am having a great deal of bother with my R32

GTR clutch

was driving fine but slowly became hard to select gears.

it got to the point that the car would creep forward in gear when clutch is totally depressed.

i adjusted the clutch peddle and all problems went away for about 100km's but have come back worse than ever.

the clutch will not disengage at all now

start the car in neutral and can not select any gears

start the car in gear with clutch peddle depressed and car lurches forward!!!!

i have replaced clutch master, clutch slave (nismo) and have removed the damper system with the use of a braided line.

still same problem

the clutch peddle feels good, the clutch slave has good movement.

So to summarize

clutch is Direct Racing twin plate

clutch pressure plate fingers look good

clutch pivot does not seem to be broken

entire hydraulic system is new and been bled many times

the only thing i can think of is the clutch fork

but i can not see any sines of damage

i pulled the gearbox out for the car 550km's ago when i rebuilt motor and all looked good and has been working fine for 500km's and now this please help me

I would say the pivot point on the clutch fork has broken. When you press the pedal, the cracks in the fork pivot simply "opens up" and doesn't push the thrust bearing fully onto the pressure plate.

Alternatively, the clutch pedal box has broken.

I would say the pivot point on the clutch fork has broken. When you press the pedal, the cracks in the fork pivot simply "opens up" and doesn't push the thrust bearing fully onto the pressure plate.

Alternatively, the clutch pedal box has broken.

Very good reply,well done,need more of these. :action-smiley-069:

could be a warped friction disc or pressure plate.

I had all world of issues with an exedy copper mix I got from japland. Im assuming the package was dropped HARD on its way over. Replaced with an OEM for test sake and had a perfect working system again. Could not tell the copper mix was faulty tho.

Before you munch out your gearbox in frustration (as you sound like me and would probably be provoking the wound to try pinpoint its cause) drop the box and inspect the clutch.

Best thing you can do is throw in a stock clutch and flywheel if you have one lying around. A weekends work is cheaper than a new gearbox when you mince that one. Do this simply to see if the clutch itself is the problem as you know a stocky definitely WORKS.

GL

Hi mate, I've got EXACTLY the same thing happening with my R32 GTR and I too am ready to burn it ! Have done the same thing with hydraulic system too and no fix. I'm running an OS giken 5 speed with the giken R3C triple clutch (both very new) and it seems not all plates are disengaging. You can hear only a slight rattle when clutch pedal is pressed instead of the full rattling noise which indicates whether the plates are free or not.

I'm ripping the box out as we speak to find the problem. We are leaning towards a damaged spigot bearing picking up on the input shaft as I've had this happen on my R33 GTR when I converted to a push setup for a ATS/carbonetics triple. This had defintely picked up on the spigot on my 33 but also had a bearing carrier that was 2mm too short causing the problem. Now I know the carrier in my 32 is correct according to OS giken so I'll let you know of my outcome, but my money is on the spigot being damaged or fork damaged.

Edited by BK

i have sence pulled the clutch fork boot out and reinstalled the clutch slave so i can see the clutch fork and pressure plate in action and everything seems fine.

i can not see any twisting, warping or cracking of the clutch fork or clutch fork pivot.

Your just gonna have to pull the clutch out mate. If everything is ok like my car sounds like your clutch plates are warped enough to stop it disengaging. Do you launch it much ?

My OS giken R3C lasted 12 runs from new and the warpage of the metal intermediate plates was enough to not let the clutch totally disengage. The plates are blue and the run out is over 0.5mm per plate. Checked everything else - hydraulics from master to slave ok, didn't pick up spigot bearing, release fork ok. I guess 520rwkw is too much for a giken triple heat wise. Another carbon triple to the rescue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I had totally forgotten about this thread !!!

Long story short the retaining ring on the pressure plate (holds the fingers to the plate had snapped.

Clutch rebuilt

All good :)