SAU Community

R33 Gtr Brakes On R34gtt

hi guys i wanna get some r33 gtr brembos for my r34 gtt would they be a straihjt fit?

if not what do i have to do to make them fit?

thanks

julz

Pretty average upgrade for the money to be honest with you.

there is some data on the interweb ... i cant remember where i found it, it was very compelling..

it showed the differences of a wrx with different brake setups... from stock, stock with good pads and discs.. all the way up to F40 calipers and discs..

the bigger brakes remained more consistent and had more power over more stops.. whereas the stock brakes would fade out.. but this was in a pure racing type environment..

the intitial stopping power of the f40s was not much greater than the stock calipers with good discs and pads.. and along with the extra expense of the bigger calipers comes extra weight aswell.

if you go the brembos, you'll also need to figure out which master cylinder suits the calipers and there will be messing around there aswell..

if youve done everything you can to your stock brake setup.. and you're standing on the pedal and its not slowing down, then you need to look at bigger brakes.. but until youve exhausted your standard setup.. its just wasted money.

cheers

Linton

That was me that posted up the summary of an article...

................................................................................

.................................................................................

Talking to someone again the other day about brake upgrades...and how when i win lotto want 343mm front rotors with AP 6-pot brakes and 328mm rear rotors with AP 2 pot brakes:)

However....my pet ramble:) is how these sorts of brake setups are massive overkill for most of us, even ppl that do track work in cars.

Something i posted a while ago that came to mind again today whilst dribbling propoganda with another forum goer...

Car & Driver did a test a few years ago testing StopTechs brake kits against some more recognised names, showing similar results.

Test Car was a WRX (US Spec which only uses two piston sliding caliper, not as good as Nissan 4 spot or later Model WRX 4 pots)

So tested kits were, std car, std car with upgraded pads and fluid, Brembo F50 Kit, Brembo Lotus Kit (Similar to as fitted to GTRs, 44/38mm pistons), Stoptech it and Prodrive Kit (Alcon)

Stopping Distances 70mph - 0 , 3 Stop

Brembo F50;_____________ 185 / 183 (Average / Best)

Brembo Lotus; ______________ 200 / 196

Prodrive; __________________ 198 / 194

StopTech;__________________ 187 / 186

Stock; ____________________ 205 / 196

Stck with pads and fluid; ____187 / 184

The above figures are all in feet, one stop difference between pad and fluid upgrade to crappy sliding caliper brake setup and massive Brembos is 1 ft...lol 30cms:( And over 3 stops the average is 2 ft...lol 60cms:)

So you can see the one stop max of the upgraded pads and fluid is damn good when you consider the $$$ to % difference.

Stopping Distances 100mph - 0 , 25 Stop

Brembo F50; _____________ 299 / 288 (Average / Best)

Brembo Lotus; ______________305 / 294

Prodrive; __________________ 308 / 295

StopTech;__________________ 297 / 290

Stock;_____________________ 340/317

Stck with pads and fluid;_____316/299

Not the world of difference you would be led to believe by the "you need 6pot caliper 343mm rotor crowd."

Specs of the kits:

Rotor Weight (pounds) Size in inches (diam / thk)

Brembo F50;.................15.8......................... .13.1 / 1.3

Brembo Lotus;..............12.9.......................... 12.9 / 1.1

Prodrive;......................16.5...........................13.0 / 1.1

StopTech;...................13.9..........................12.9 / 1.1

Stock;.................. ......14.2..........................11.6 / 0.9

Caliper Weight , Piston Size, (mm)

Brembo F50;..........8.6 pounds...........40 / 44, Leading / Trailing

Brembo Lotus;.......6.8.......................36 / 40

Prodrive;...............9.1..................... 34.9 / 41.3

StopTech;.............9.3.....................36 / 40

Stock;.................10.8.................. .43 / 43

...and COST!!!

Brembo F50;.......................US$2,995

Brembo Lotus;.....................US$2,595

Prodrive;.............................US$1,999

StopTech;...........................US$1,695

Stock with pads & fluid;....... US$130

And remember thet US Spec cars dont get the same 4 pot calipers that WRX get in Aus. And the aftermarket setups have much bigger rotors then the std WRX setup.

So would expect better performance from OZ Spec WRX or Nissan 4pot calipers with pads and fluid.

It seems the main benefits of the big brake kits are reduced operating temperatures, and more feel and firmer pedal. The reduced temp means the rotors arent being knocked around near as much, and you can run a nicer pad which means there is likely to be less wear on the rotors. And of course less likely to boil and ruin the pricey brake fluid

There is no doubt that the big brake upgrades offer great improvements in feel and consistancy, but they dont reduce stopping distances like people imagine. Thats what a combination of good tyres, suspension and brakes do.

Food for thought when you are shopping for the 2nd hand GTR brake calipers:) They offer improved feel, but wont really do much regarding stopping distances and fade. But they do look hell cool and i still want a brake upgrade :D

But they do look hell cool and i still want a brake upgrade :D

Surely thats all that matter's???

An awesome write up, thank you. You have made my mind up, i will go the pad, rotor, fluid road on the 34. As its mainly going to be sprints and drifting for now and there only 3-5 laps a time, no difference in stopping distance worth noting for the $.

"If and when" i want to go further towards IPRA or tarmac rally stuff then i might go bigger.

:down:

ok so im reading your sig... so you have RDA discs and EBC pads... and you also have Pirelli Corsa tyres....

so you should have some pretty good stopping power there... maybe look into a caliper spacer and fit some bigger rotors, as youve got heavy 19" rims so that will affect the braking in a negative way as the rotors are for a 16/17" rim.. the red stuff pads are a hard compound street pad at best though.. and ive heard good and bad things about them from different people.. i had some RaceBrakes pads in my r33 and thought they were fantastic.

the 19" wheels have big wide tyres i imagine?? also what is your wheel alignment like?? are you able to really push on the pedal or does it start to feel sketchy and wobbly like its going to lock up and whip around.

for shits and giggles, swap the wheels for a set of r33 stockers with some 215 or 225 semi slicks and see how it pulls up then.

the biggest enemy of stopping power is weight and momentum..

hay dude

my vs-kf weigh less than my standard r34 rims by alot. tyres are 235's on the rear and i think 215's on the front for a nice stretch look (and so they fit under the already heavily rolled gueards)

however at the moment my car is undergoing a lot of upgrades to all aspects of the car including the rims.

i will be purchasing a set of the te37 sl in 18x10 and 18x11 from otr and running semi slicks on them as the car will be my toy only and retired from daily duties.

in saying that though i do get a bit wobbly when i have a fair bit of pace with the 19's so they will be used on my daily most likely.

i was think to also upgrade to a cusco brake master cylinder what kind of affect would one of those have

cheers

julz

Edited by GUN_METAL_GTR32

stretched tyres arent a problem... but if you have lots of rear camber at the back... that will make it very squirrely.. the weight transfers to the front, and theres less weight on the rear wheels... and if you have alot of camber, you are basically driving on 185's... and if the tyres are stretched.. it can be even less..

its not so much the physical weight of the wheels.. but the larger rotating mass and momentum.. you are trying to pull up 19" wheels with 17" brakes..

my mates wrx is a perfect example of not enough brakes.. it just will not lock up the tyres no matter how hard you stand on the pedal (in a spirited driving instance).. it has semi slicks, and the friction of the tyres will over power the brakes.. its easier to push through the friction of the pads.. this causes intense heat and brake fade.. and eventually toasting the pads and discs.. and it has the standard lightweight 16" wheels with standard sized tyres.