SAU Community

Launching R32 Gt-r

Hi guys, i recently purchased an R32 GTR from Japan. Ive had it for 2-3 weeks now. The problem is I used to be able to rev to 6-6.5K rpm, and drop the clutch and the car would just rocket start off the line . Pure traction. A week and a bit later, (I probably did around 10 launches :thumbsup: ) and it wont do it anymore. It will just spin the rears up, Not like in RWD mode, ive experienced that, but just feels like i have real shitty tyres now and doesnt get grip, but still tells me that nearly 50 percent tourque is going to the front. Meanwhile the tyres have excelent tread levels at all 4, they are 255 width Potenza RE01-R at all 4.

Any ideeas?

Oh and sometime after hard driving through the mountains the 4wd light would go on. I just turn the car off and back on and it goes back to normal. Also the ATTESA fluid is on max.

Thanks guys.

From memory there is a small leak somewhere in your Hicas system that triggered the light.

As for the launches, there could be too much AIR in the clutch system (?) or the clutch packs are worn? Best to take it to a GTR doctor, i used to take mine to Racepace in Bayswater but its totally up to you, go to the Vic section to see their contact details.

....Oh and sometime after hard driving through the mountains the 4wd light would go on....

I think the car is telling you what's up already. take it in and get it checked out.

Edited by istdercollen

My problem is that it feels like my clutch is slipping, lots of revs but not much go (at least not by GTR standards). I'm moving to Bayswater this week so racepace sounds like a plan.

I would say your case is a new clutch.. if you don't change it soon, you will be like me a few years back. I had a clutch die in an S2000 and to avoid towing costs I drove it to the shop 40kms away doing 9000 rpms in 6th gear just to go 90kmh.

I would say your case is a new clutch.. if you don't change it soon, you will be like me a few years back. I had a clutch die in an S2000 and to avoid towing costs I drove it to the shop 40kms away doing 9000 rpms in 6th gear just to go 90kmh.

LMFO :)

Sounds like your clutch packs in the transfer case might be worn, Check all the hydraulic actuation stuff first (bleed attessa, check for leaks and check attessa code on computer in the boot, see if it's flashing). There's a simple test you can do to see how well the transfer is gripping, if your mech knows about GTR's or has a workshop manual for it it's easy to suss. If you end up needing replacement clutch packs for your transfer case let me know- I've just done one and if you want to halve the cost you get quoted I can do a swap job for you.

Fair enough mate , that probably sounds about right. Clutch seems ok but transfer is a bit iffy.. I just went in my mates R32 and it grips much better than mine in the same situations. His 1st and second grip in the rain, I step out in 2nd lol.. And what do you mean by swap job brother??

whats the simple test you can do to see how well the transfer is gripping?

Thought I'd seen it in the workshop manual and it's not there, i'm sure I've seen it somewhere. Don't want to give details yet as if it's not what I think it could be a little unsafe. I'll keep looking.....

• 4 weeks later...

It's not too bad, just clutch packs are fairly simple, not too much disassembly- but you'd really want to check the shimming on the clutch hub and maybe replace a few bearings while it's out, you be thinking of doing it yourself?

Oh still can't find the factory test - I'll try and devise something that'll give some sort of indication of wear