SAU Community

Importing A R32 Gtr

dreGTR

Hey guys im new to this forum, was just wondering what would work out cheaper.. buying a r32 gtr below 100 000kms over something like carsales etc.. or would it be cheaper to import? as im limited with money just trying to workout the cheapest option.. thanks all help will be appreciated

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys im new to this forum, was just wondering what would work out cheaper.. buying a r32 gtr below 100 000kms over something like carsales etc.. or would it be cheaper to import? as im limited with money just trying to workout the cheapest option.. thanks all help will be appreciated

Depends on your budget and what exactly you're looking for.

Have a look at this thread on the 'new' import rules: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Im...l&p=4760984 :

to be honest if you want an R32 project car you could buy a rough one in aus that is already complied, imported etc for probably as low as $15,000 or even less from a desperate seller with a less than perfect car. even if you bough a GTR in japan for say $5K it would be more than $15K to have it imported, complied and on the road.

personally i try to avoid importing cars with an 'on the road' value of less than $20,000. purely because there are a number of fixed costs with importing. it gets to the point that the actual money you are spending on the car in japan becomes such a small part of the total cost that you are way over capitalising on that car. buying really cheap dirty cars to bring in is not worth it. you can buy them already here and save the time and money!

Hope this helps.

If you just want any GTR and dont care about the condition its cheaper from carsales. if you want specific oreder with history of genuine klm and the choice of what you want and to own the car as the 1st owner in Australia its better to import.

Current pricing in Australia is getting a lot cheaper for these older inports allready been in australia a long time but its for certain look at the car and its condition never regard the klm as genuine.

unfortunately carsales is full of alot of shit unless you are prepared to pay the big bucks

i went down the import road due to me wanting an overall clean stock car which seemed quite hard to find in aus at the time

thanks everyone for ur help, i dont want it to be thrashed or anything, and my budgets only like max $20 000 as im stil only 17 and waiting to finish my hsc which is in a few months til i get one.. dont really mind bout the whole turbo charged rule p platers have lol.. i was shocked when i saw r32 GTR's going for like 5-6k on auctions in japan, then someone told me bout the added on costs ends up being like double that, but then again r32s on carsales rarely go below 20k unless they thrashed, il guess il just keep researching for the next few months and find the cheapest option

wow - i get that you joined yesterday and skylines are new to you and you're 17 and what not - i understand your enthusiasm.. no really, i do..

but a few things, you're 17. where are you attaining this 20 grand (max) budget? is it a bank loan? because you'll be paying very very high interest on it if it is.

furthermore, the R32 gtr is what, 14 / 20 years old now? you honestly think you're going to get a car that old that has "never been thrashed?" think about it - even you said yourself GTR's can go at auction for 5-6K... you honestly think someone is going to spend that little on a car in J that has 4wd 2600cc of twin turbo fury and NOT thrash it? face reality - EVERY gtr has been thrashed. at some point in it's life. and for an extended period of time, too.

not to sway your decision away from it - i'm just saying, you want one that's never been thrashed, you're looking at paying about 45-50K for one, as beer baron once said. reality is - R32 is becoming a nostalgic japanese car... their popularity is growing again because they're just getting SO old now a-la kpgc10.

please search the forum for common faults with the GTR and you can expect to learn a thing or two in "what you can expect to run into" when owning a GTR, bearings, warped cylinders, engine rebuilds are all commonplace.

not to say they are bad cars - i mean, if you have the wallet and dedication for it... i'd say these would be a very rewarding car to own (can't comment myself, never owned one!)

"dont really mind about the whole turbo charged Pplater rule lol" ok - why? are you from WA? or do you physically get a "rush" from being pulled over and having your license confiscated..

gtr goes for 5-6K at auctions, and added costs are twice that amount

well

yes and no

yes because it's more than that amount

but no because - here's a price breakdown.

car - let's be REALLY lean on the budget and 600K yen freight on board - it'll cost more than this for a good one but let's go 600K

so

500K yen for the car

95K yen for freight on board (this means de-reg in J, and transferred to the boat)

600K = $7,200 for the car ready for the "next frontier"

allow a grand for brokerage fee (trust me. GET A GOOD BROKER. phil (primo) Aaron (import monster) and Kris (iron chef) and the guys from J-Spec all frequent this site and are VERY VERY helpful people. use them. the amount these guys charge is NOTHING compared to the piece of mind, convenience industry contacts and experience these guys all deliver. do NOT TRY TO TAKE THINGS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS.

let's round it back now to 8 grand.

allow about another grand for taxes, import duties, customs and GST (it WILL be more than this but let's just call it a grand for now)

shipping and wharfage and possible storage fees - give that a healthy 2 grand.

compliance - depending on what state you're in - you're looking at about $2,200

so for your budget you could get a car worth 800K - 900K yen and still fall in under 20 grand... butttttt

then again - you're 17. so allow extra money for things you're going to break on the car. such as the door card you rip while trying to install "lambo" doors

or the electrical repairs needed for when you invite mates around to install the stereo you bought from your mate you work with at coles and install yourself because it "can't be that hard" and forget to earth it and somehow end up shorting out your ECU

or the power window motor you will break when you make a joke and try to wind your mates head up in the electric window.

or the bolts you're gonna have to buy because you got bored one day n thought you'd try your hand at a vinyl re-upholstery job on your seats and undo EVERYTHING and end up losing stuff.

not to mention the insurance you're going to get charged for. oh wait - you're 17. NO insurance company will insure a >25yo for a twinturbo. so you won't even have to worry about that.

i tell you what. you have a budget of 20K. instead of spending 20K on a car you can't really drive at all, i tell you what... you can just pay me 7 grand and i'll fly to what ever state you live in, catch a taxi to your house and just punch you in the throat then make myself a cuppa tea and fly back to my house. that doesn't sound good at all. but it's about as much fun as you'll have being a 17 year old that owns a GTR.

in all seriousness

you are 17. turbos are out. you want a car your friends can get driven around in, you have a falsified budget of 20K. you want something fast n sporty

... get an EP3 type R. it's legal, easy to insure. MUCH newer. more fun to drive and less repair bills.

jdm-ep3.jpg

Edited by Mr Eps

you're from WA though - we lucky fu(kers don't have p-pate restrictions!

but - what suburb are you from. 50 bucks for a throat punch for you! haha

not to whore this topic though - but you're a P-plater from WA. have you got any mates that are jealous of your car and want a fcking wicked import? that's pretty cheap for what it is?? PM me - i'll give you a hefty spotters fee. i'm not joking.

Eps - you forgot something.

17 year old + GTR + mates = showing off

GTR + showing off + inexperienced driver = GTR wrapped around pole.

I'd do the whole 'learn to walk before you can run' driving experience talk... but if the kid is saying 'don't care about p plate laws' then he's obviously too hektik and far too hard_xXx_core to care about my opinion on what his first car should be.

Let's just hope he doesn't write it off when he kills himself, his mates and the people in the other car while ripping sick skids.

Good old P plater's thinking they are to awesome for the turbo restriction laws. I hope you never injure any one in the car that is banned for you or mummy and daddy will be paying lawyer fees for the rest of their lives.

thanks for the help lol..i think all u guys got the wrong idea.. iv been dreaming of owning a GTR since i was like 9-10.. and i dont want to wait another 2-3 years till i can legally drive one because i want it that bad..not because i think im some hero. i am aware of the fact im not allowed to legally drive one, i will obviously restrict myself from driving it around alot and will rather be doing work on it till i can legally drive it...i am not getting one to act like a "hard k*nt" with my mates or do stupid things with it that would get me killed..i may be 17 but im not stupid. iv just always loved the GTR and absolutely cannot wait any longer to own one.. jumping to conclusions bout me killing myself in one or being a "hard k*nt" to the cops and my mates dosnt achieve anything.. was just asking what the cheapest option was.. thanks..

Edited by dreGTR

But you can't drive ot legally on the road.

Cheapest option = buy locally. But as said, old cars = things go wrong, unless you've gone and bought a more expensive one with decent work done.

Edited by Ten Four

i was just like you, except my options were a 'fully hectik' mazda 323 or a hyundai 'hard k*nt' excel.

then later on when i decided to get something ill hold on a bit longer (3 odd years) i thought about the R32 GTR, did a bit of research (thanks to the very helpful people on this forum) and came to a conclusion that there was no way in hell i would be able to afford one, not for atleast 4-5 yrs. So i accepted it, cried, then bought my beloved GTS-t :)

dreGTR - i never said you were being a hard cunt or anything of that nature - you wanted one since you were 9/10 years old? cool story, bro.. doesn't make it legal for you to drive. ever

imagine this scenario.

you're driving your GTR

cops pull you over because they see a provisional plate

cops say

"any reason why you're driving a turbocharged vehicle in NSW on Pplates there mate?"

"well i wanted one since i was like 9 or 10 and simply couldn't wait any longer cos i really wanted one"

"oh really? oh well in THAT case i had no idea - please, continue driving the way you were, after all - how was i to know? silly me, sorry to bother you continue... please!"

OR - imagine this scenario

"any reason why you're driving a turbocharged vehicle in NSW on Pplates there mate?"

"well i wanted one since i was like 9 or 10 and simply couldn't wait any longer cos i really wanted one"

...*police officer looks at partner in the squad car, nods his head* "sir, Please step out of the vehicle and place your hands on the bonnet"

which of those two sounds more likely?

you're 17, you want a turbo. what your intentions are doesn't change the law. you break the law, you get dealt with, same as the rest of the state you live in.

clearly (no offense) you have not much of an idea of what it's like being a young driver who wants a turbo. to put it bluntly. you can't have one until you're off your P's. get a non turbo. like the rest of everybody.

...sorry man

you're from WA though - we lucky fu(kers don't have p-pate restrictions!

f**k you

on a more serious note

DONT BUY A GTR MAN!

coming form another 17 year old..

if your in a state that does have p plater restrictions, you WILL get reamed

as eps said. its an old car, shits gona break so you have to put a fair bit of effort in it to keep it 100%

your inexperienced, you will probably smash it

solution-

that gay civic

r32 sedan(legal in vic now)

na cars

VL

i understand where ur all coming from, my plan was to just not put p plates on at all and pray to the son of rajab i never get pulled over lol.. and not drive in redhot areas at night like laperouse if your from sydney and stuff like that.. as much as id love to take it out in areas like that to show it off.. the self satisfaction of just owning one would be enough till i can legally drive it lol

everyones told me the exact same thing bout its stupid to get a turbo charged car on your P's because its illegal and im inexperienced.. and you probably are all right.. but like i said before, i dont think i can wait another 3 years to get one, i dont mind if it spends half its time in the garage till i can legally drive it..

and i dunno non turbo skylines are out of the question for me.. il feel like abit of a idiot and a poser driving one of them..

but ye thanks everyone for ur help.. iv decided im not guna bother importing as not bothered for all the hassle.. il just try my best to find one off carsales in the best possible condition i can find i guess..

ps- is there any possible way to get an exemption for one if iv got more then 1 car in my family??

Edited by dreGTR