SAU Community

Merli's Japan Pics :)

Merli

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan was unreal, the best place I have visited by far. I too suffered slightly with the language thing, however the japanese people are patient with "aliens" and had some fun with us.

I miss the place so much, I am going to start learning to language so I can go back and do even more.

I didnt make it to hiroshima, however if I had known it was only 4 hours on the shinkansen (sp?) I would have made more of an effort to get their!

Next time..

My girlfriend lived in Japan for a while and has been trying to talk me into doing a year long working holiday there on an english teaching program. This thread makes it seem alot more appealing showing how interesting living with a huge cultural difference could be. Every time i start self learning some japanese i always seem to get lazy and dont stick with it though. Thanks for the pics anyway Merli!

• 4 weeks later...

Great Thread.

I am saving for a trip to japan for a few reasons, and plan to go about some time.

I have a few questions, Im 18 almost 19 whats the legal age for most things there?

How much was your trip, I plan on taking 5k for the trip expenses for about 2 weeks?

Is 2 weeks long enough?

How long does it take to learn Japanese?

How do, did people who live in Japan get a job? Wwas it easy to get a job and 'live' in Japan?

"I have a few questions, Im 18 almost 19 whats the legal age for most things there?"

20. But my 19 year-old brother-in-law never got asked for ID at the million bars we went to. I'd think, being gaijin, you would be very unlucky to get asked.

"I plan on taking 5k for the trip expenses for about 2 weeks?"

That's do-able, especially given the current exchange rate

"Is 2 weeks long enough?"

sure.

"How long does it take to learn Japanese?"

properly? a long time. Basic 'survival' japanese - not too long, but don't expect great conversation :)

"How do, did people who live in Japan get a job? Wwas it easy to get a job and 'live' in Japan?"

Answer to your second question is no (if you want a good one). Pre-requisite is a university degree. Without one, it becomes exponentially harder.

I lived in Tokyo for a couple of years....life as a gaijin in Japan is really cool. I'd recommend it to anyone! The more Japanese you know the better but you can get by without it.

Japan is like nothing else you'll experience in the world. So different, so intriguing and the people are so wonderful.

If you go over there you'll go thru phases of love/hate as DCD described, basically because it's so different you love it but then get a bit homesick so hate it.

If you want an experience, go and teach English over there! They organise accomodation for you and set you up with an easy, good paying job that gives you enough cash to see the entire country. Nothing beats the shinkansen ride at 300kmph past Mt.Fuji into Kobe then Hiroshima.

Oh and go climb Mt Fuji!! To reach the summit of Fuji-san is seen as a healing process to the Japanese and is highly spiritual. It is not easy! It took me 10 hours to do it. (that was after a previous night on the vodka so while climbing my BAC was prolly about 0.07!! LOL)

Top Thread.

Its great to read all your experiences on Japan. I have been to Japan maybe more than 9 times since I was a kid. I have relatives there in Kobe and Osaka. To the people out there still questioning about going, Let me tell you will have the time of your lives!!! I probably visit Japan every 1.5 to 2 years and have NEVER got bored of it. There is always something to do or see. In all honesty the cars would make up only 20% of what Japan had to offer to me, there is ALOT more to Japan than that. Make sure to take over a "decent" amount of cash if you plan on going as certain things are not all that cheap... Such as transport but you certainly get what you pay for, the trains and buses come EXACTLY on time, to the minute.

What about the gangs!!! I couldnt believe what I saw!!! I can honestly tell you that I have NEVER seen any gangs in any of my visits... maybe because I didnt visit the rough areas, but as someone said, let them do there business and you do yours simple as that.

Safety? It has to be one of the safest places on earth. everyone is welcoming to you and since your a Gaijin there sometimes tend to be alot more friendlier towards you. You CAN walk down the street at 3am and not worry about whos following you or if some pricks going to rob you, just the ocasional glance from someone wondering what a Gaijin is doing walking down the street of his neighbourhood!!!

Well thats what I have to say about Japan and my experiences. I will try and post some of my pics if I can find any...