SAU Community

How To Tell Which Series Rb25de?

Hey guys i have an RB25DE laying around ready for installing on car but i can't seem to figure out which series it's from and it makes it very difficult to buy parts such as AFM and service parts etc. So if you guys can just have a quick look and drop a comment that would be nice :)

Wrecker who i bought it off says it's series 1 (from my experience they're not very knowledgable), but from this forum i read that series 2 doesn't have the ignitor on the top of the engine as it is built into the ECU. Attatched is some pictures of my RB25DE and i have tried searching everywhere.

Thanks.

post-71802-1275045645_thumb.jpg

post-71802-1275045695_thumb.jpg

post-71802-1275045993_thumb.jpg

Looks like you have a Series 1 but the ignitor is missing. Its usually mounted at the rear of the coil pack cover.

:D

Hmmm how are you sure? I've seen some R33 engines where there was a stand just like the one on mine at the end of the coil packs cover but however it was 2 plugs joined together (the stand was to hold the joined plugs up) instead of 2 plugs on each side of the ignitor... :)

Edited by TyresBro

Hmmm how are you sure? I've seen some R33 engines where there was a stand just like the one on mine at the end of the coil packs cover but however it was 2 plugs joined together (the stand was to hold the joined plugs up) instead of 2 plugs on each side of the ignitor... :yes:

After a closer look I think you are right actually. The stand you are talking about is there (I didnt notice this before), in place of where the ignitor would normally be mounted and the plugs look different too.

Heres a pic of my old Series 1 outlining the ignitor and plugs:

Picture%20068.jpg

To be 100% sure, Id check the coil packs. If you post a pic of one up here I'll let you know for sure. :D

I would say it is a series 2 engine. The plug is the same as my series 2 as it dosent need the igniter. The series 2 is about 4 pins across and 2 down. And the picture of the series 1 ^^^ that has the igniter has a different plug (looks like 1 row of 8 pins) that looms off to coils. hope that helps

I also think it’s a S2 motor however I am unsure if the non turbo RB25 follows the same conventions as the turbo version. The TPS is the 2 plug type which S2’s have. Also, the S2 motor has a pink label on the AFM, not a green one which would be for the S1.

I through that S2 RB's had the eno head's on them

soo wouldn't it say it somewhere on it........

Thought that was for R34s? NEO technology was only introduced at 1998 onwards. Please correct me if i'm wrong someone.

I also think it’s a S2 motor however I am unsure if the non turbo RB25 follows the same conventions as the turbo version. The TPS is the 2 plug type which S2’s have. Also, the S2 motor has a pink label on the AFM, not a green one which would be for the S1.

+1 for being s2. the tps is the first thing i looked at

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys i have an RB25DE laying around ready for installing on car but i can't seem to figure out which series it's from and it makes it very difficult to buy parts such as AFM and service parts etc. So if you guys can just have a quick look and drop a comment that would be nice :P

Wrecker who i bought it off says it's series 1 (from my experience they're not very knowledgable), but from this forum i read that series 2 doesn't have the ignitor on the top of the engine as it is built into the ECU. Attatched is some pictures of my RB25DE and i have tried searching everywhere.

Thanks.

definately a s2 , it has no ingnitor for the coils , which means you'll have to change your ecu , it's built in to the ecu

the ignitor on the s2 motors IS NOT built into the ecu. it is built into the coils. some people on this forum may say that the ignitor is in the ecu, those people are also wrong. this is the reason why s1 and s2 r33's have different coil packs. i have personally run a s1 ecu with an s2 motor, so i can 100% garantee that it can be done.