SAU Community

15 Year old Imports Review

Nathan

Here we go again………

I received a copy of a letter from DOTARS (Department of Transport) today, asking for expressions of interest in changing of the rules for 15 year old imports as of the 1st of January 2005.

DOTARS main concerns are:

• The sharp increase in 15 year old import approvals

• Businesses that are establishing/trading in 15 year old imports

• Safety and emission concerns where these vehicles don’t meet Australian Standards, with a special mention about Japanese Imports.

• The impact on the new SEVS/RAWS scheme.

DOTARS remedy is for us to tick one of three choices.

1/ Leave it as it is

2/ “Cap” the system to 01-01-1989 so no vehicles after this date are eligible (NO R32)

3/ Change the rule to 30 years or older.

I would suggest that the sharp increase is because the vehicles eligible as of 2004 are more commonly desirable, R32, Z32 300ZX, Q45 Infinity, MX5, Series 5 RX7, Celsior (LS400) etc.

If these vehicles were not in the Australian Market under full volume (Poverty Pack), they were here under the old CPA scheme. All vehicles (with the exception of the “Aussie Icons??”) are modified to meet Australian Standards, regardless if new or second hand imports and all must have an SAE Engineers endorsement.

Secondly, I dare say that the majority of RAWS have already bought 15 year old imports.

If this letter is anything like the previous correspondence regarding the transition from CPA to RAWS/SEVS, the decision has been made in our interest…NOT!

If you guys feel the same way I do I can put the email address up on the board so you can forward your views directly to the person instigating this discussion?

Velcome to Australia Comrade

i think the 15 year rule is dumb...even NZ have tightend up their rules.....and we just allowed them.

I have a 88 VR4 Galant that had 54k on the clock. The interior looks like it is about that milage, but the car looks like it has been auto washed 100,000 times. The compliance is a joke. the intrusion bars are badley welded and the fuel filler is not ulp.

I bought this car for $9k as a thrasher for 6 months and i have seen several 15 year cars.....they should not be here. it has killed the second hand market and they are dangerous.

sorry for the rant

Mal

I got an email from prestigemotorsport about the changes.The reason they are reviewing the 15 year old rule because the number of 15 year old imports being brought to AUS has doubled

2002 = 5,703

2003 =12,291

I think the more imports the better!!! :headspin:

I do not know why people think this 15 year rule is good. yes you can get some unusual cars and some really hot cars, but most have little or no service for 2 years and only get done shen shekken (sic?) is needed, and I am sure there are dodgy places over there like there is here......The japs must think we are stupid.....most of the cars that will come here will cost less than the shipping.....we are getting trash, they should limit the numbers or it WILL kill our local 2nd hand market. This is why you can get skylines r33's in nz for under $8k. All your cars will be harder to sell because the insurance and easy availability will reduce their market appeal. before skylines were rare, gtr's even more so, but now they are everywhere. I hope the gov realises how dumb this idea was and close it down.

ta

mal

culling the rule

you people are furked !!!!!!!!

going to kill the price of your r32 and 33 skylines..... all the people who have a cry about that why dont you go and ask the people who bought australian r32 gtr's what happened to the price of there cars when you brought in your import

if they can the 15 year rule you wont be able to bring in all the classics like the old r31 gts ect

everyone needs to get of there arse to keep the 15 year rule

pete

Go the Gloria too ! yeah baby 15 year old, but goes good ! 45,000 original kms ! The motor has just been run in ! (yes log books and service records too)

If they change the 15 YO rule in Jan 2005 - I'm gonna buy me a 32 GTR this year ! Pay half now (cost of the car) and half later (cost to ship).

Then I'll have 3 turbo Nissans ! Yeah !

I believe the only changes to the 15 year rule should be to allow only cars that are between 10-15 years in a rolling window, are inspected and meet roadworthy and have a specific minimum power to weight ratio or unique nature .

perhaps we could use this thread to get together solid ideas DOTARS may listen to....then we can get as many ppl to make these arguaments as possible.

No point saying "DOTARS is fcuked" We all know that (they took 6 weeks to process my application the bastards). I don't think telling them this will change their mind!

So.....who's got good solid reasons not to change the rule?

ok, on an actual logical level/lets keep everybody happy who make bucks out there it doesn't make sense.. as you're right, it could hurt the 2nd hand market, provide kids with cars too fast for them at too cheap a price, and possibly pollution although i think that is the very last of the "real" reasons for the changes.

What needs to be done is a more stringent control on what cars can actually be brought in, rather than such draconian measures listed. It won't have a huge effect as long as their are controls over what the cars that can be imported, and it should be tightened up. If you can bring in ancient n/a lancers, old 4WD or whatever, or cars that were sold here to some extent it will kill the market BUT for those cars that WEREN'T available here its not gonna make a lick of difference.

Its hard to argue that a car with an RB26DETT in a 15 years old car that it wasn't designed for sounds like a scary thought.. but that doesn't mean that me, other people out there, or whoever wouldn't be after them.

Ag ! anyhow, i can't think now, I want to write a letter and put my views forward at some point and have a say. Its a losing battle I think, but one that needs to be fought. Even not for this issue, just to give a wider insight in the "owners " and enthusiasts view of the *entire* import issue.

4doorGTR: you mention this on your car, but have you driven any aussie car that is 15 years lately? Not accusing, just asking... A lot of the time the people going "they are rubbish, they're deathtraps" are driving brand new cars or cars less than 10 years old. For those that AREN'T are they any worse than what is available here?? that is the question..

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the 15 year old rule cause I want to be able to buy parts and upgrade/fix my car as it gets older. Cheap OLD imports are a good thing, cause I might like a model that only becomes affordable to me under this scheme.

Most cars depreciate, you pay a heap already for maintaining your import, so its not cheap to own cars. Don't buy a car if you don't want it to depreciate.

If you want to maintain your high priced car you can keep upgrading to a newer model and should because you don't mind paying more for a car and for compliance and the fact that it is rarer because nobody can afford i t.

Just worry about the fact that the next car which could be a replacement after you smash it will cost more! If you want to spend more just buy a newer model. It isn't fair to say to people that you can't bring it in.

The price of repair parts goes up too!

As for paying the gov't more money for compliance fees, ARE YOU JOKING - they already rip us off with speed cameras. Most people are buying 15yo imports because they represent higher technology for lower price.