SAU Community

R30 Project

hello, i am new to skylines australia and am hoping to find out some infomation on my r30. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the engine and slowly modifing the body. I would like to know if there is anybody here that has also had an R30 that they have worked on and if they could fill me in on some things.

Does anybody know where to get a body kit for this model or if R31 bodykits can be modified to fit.

what type of power would i get if i was to put a tripple carby on the L24e engine, and the cost.

where am i able to find parts for this car because they seem to be almost no existant these days.

and really anything i should consider really, thanks heaps guys

hey mate where you located?

You will probably get around 150HP depending on tuning, engine heath etc.

thats not bad, but i've came along an <h1 class="vi-is1-titleH1">FJ20 TURBO ENGINE!! </h1>for 15 hundred bucks. but will it fit straight in?

you wont get tripples in there legally as they wont pass the emissions for that year of car.

EFI turbo is easy, just need to collect the parts.

RB conversion isnt too hard, same for VG30det

bottom line is to decide what you want the car to do, and aim for a power figure, then budget to suit.

HP costs $$$ theres no other way around it.

There are no off the shelf bodykits except for Jenesis Japan, and ADThree and a few other 'exotic' Jap companies. The R31 kits that URAS make can be shortened/modified to suit. Costs a f**k load though.

Engine wise, tell us you power figure and we'll tell you how to get there. My personal optinion is get an RB30e freshned up and slot that in. very easy to do. could easily be done for under $1000 and will outrun any L24e there is. unless its turbo!

thats not bad, but i've came along an <h1 class="vi-is1-titleH1">FJ20 TURBO ENGINE!! </h1>for 15 hundred bucks. but will it fit straight in?

I can help you out with an FJ crossmember, but it goes further than that. The FJ motor doesn't use the stumpy R30 gearbox & if your going to try to wind up an FJ motor, you best get a bank loan coz your gunna need a new box and they aren't cheap. Your going to need at the very least an R31 RB20DET box, better off with an R32 RB20DET box, but better still, your looking at a modified Z32 box and one of these will set you back about $1500.00 plus modification.

If you want some serious poke, do as Mags suggested, do the RB30E conversion & spec it up to GTS2 spec and you will have 140 of the cheapest kilowatts around.

The VG30E engine conversion has only been done once that I know of and it wasn't easy at all and I think expensive to boot.

Mags suggestion of EFI turbo is easy is partially correct, it's the finding of the parts that are expensive and extremely difficult, as the source is very thin. The people that have the parts are very reluctant to part with them because of their rarety and one day they just aren't going to be available anymore, so they stockpile the parts for Ron.

The sky is the limit when your chasing HP, but remember for a road car, it's not shear HP that you want. Torque is the answer and there is no substitute for torque like cubic inches.

There are some R31 body kits about in Australia, everyone forgets about FibreMaster at

16 McCormack Street, Arndell Park (Blacktown)

they do side skirts & rear wings and other things for local R31 sedans and the dimensions of the Aussie R31 and the R30 are very similar.

Cheers, D

what type of power would i get if i was to put a tripple carby on the L24e engine, and the cost.

where am i able to find parts for this car because they seem to be almost no existant these days.

Answer to this specific question...

About $1800 for a set of second hand Webbers on a decent manifold... and about $500-$1000 to dyno tune it... In itself I would say that you might get 10HP over a standard EFI settup... but if you are doing other mods to the engine (cams, porting) you will probably quickly reach the end of the standard EFI capability...

All totally illegal of course...

Cheers,

Daewoo

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've got an mr30 and am going to be doing a rb30e transplant soon. Sick of trying to find parts for the l24 and rb30 stuff is just everywhere and also extremely cheap. Also cheap/ easy to turbo and start modifying with tons of info out there.

Should be easy enough but I'm struggling to find good solid info on strut/hub/brake upgrades for the r30!

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why you want to go with Weber carbys (for the sound maybe) but if you go dedicated LPG, emissions are no longer relevant as they are not tested with an LPG setup.

My car is proof you do not need to spend huge $'s to get performance. I will be at the Nationals on the 11th at Colley reserve. come and say hi and we can chat.