SAU Community

Comparing Australian R31 With This Model

teng

Images are from a Japanese spec KCR31 (from vin)

What i want to know...........does any Australian KCR31 look like the attached.

Thanks.

post-48477-1277210631_thumb.jpg

post-48477-1277210838_thumb.jpg

Looks alot like a Normal HR31, But is that motor A carby RB30? or Maybe an Rb20e?

RB30S. We don't get any Skylines with a RB30E nor RB30ET. Just a High spec RB30S or low spec CA20S.

RB30S. We don't get any Skylines with a RB30E nor RB30ET. Just a High spec RB30S or low spec CA20S.

Hi Teng,

The engine cover looks like all our RB30 motors, i.e. single cam RB Motor (not a CA). All RB Engined cars in Australia (both GM Holden and Nissan) were EFI (i.e. RB30E). The only cars available directly from a Nissan dealer with a twin cam RB motor are the R32/33 GTR Skylines, with RB26DETT. There are many RB20DET and RB25DET cars in Australia, but they have all been imported as used cars from Japan.

The Interior shots look like a Series 1 R31 Skyline.

Almost all R31s in Australia had solid (live) rear axle. Only the HR31 (i.e. rare 2 door) had Independant Rear Suspension.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Sorry to hijack thread,

How come they chose to have live axle in Australia?

It seems quite odd seeing as my car (C210) and even the C110 all have IRS and R31 being newer should really continue that.

and all Australia could muster was live axle even 10 years after the japs did IRS on the C210?

You would think Australia could do better than that.

I searched all over and it seems Australia didn't have the coupe version (2-door). Even the GTS is a 4-door version. Why is that? I did find out that there are numerous trim levels from Japan and Australia versions. The RB30S is not sold in Japan and more like a export model which is why we can't get any information or parts from Japan. Even FAST doesn't work with any of the vins which has the RB30S Engines.

Over here we get the;

PJR31 CA20S 4-door

CR31 RB30S 4-door

KCR31 RB30S 2-door which is the one i have, as pictured above.

post-48477-1277381246_thumb.jpg

Edited by teng

I think its possibly due to a small market here for the R31 back in the day. They didn't sell as well as the VL commodore. Im pretty sure the top of the line model sold for about $30,000 back in the 80's which back then you could have bough a house for in some areas.

What exactly did you want to know about them?

Just information on the EFI system on the RB30E. Maybe doing a conversion next year and i will need to source alot of parts from Australia. The intake manifold from a VL is the same as that on the R31 so that's settled as i have one here at a local wreck about 100km from where i am lol but that' about it. Other things like injectors, ecu, full uncut wiring harness, sensors, afm, airbox and the lists go on. But i'm getting there slowly. lol

Thanks for most of your informations.

Just information on the EFI system on the RB30E. Maybe doing a conversion next year and i will need to source alot of parts from Australia. The intake manifold from a VL is the same as that on the R31 so that's settled as i have one here at a local wreck about 100km from where i am lol but that' about it. Other things like injectors, ecu, full uncut wiring harness, sensors, afm, airbox and the lists go on. But i'm getting there slowly. lol

Thanks for most of your informations.

You can buy an R31 for almost nothing if all you want are parts... what we call wreckers, 'auto parts recyclers' will charge you a fortune if you buy bits and pieces, but you can buy a whole car for $Au500 easy... much easier than worrying about which parts from a Holden VL will fit a Nissan R31, when you can easily buy the whole Nissan R31 and get all the bits you need...

While it is true that the VL Commodore outsold the R31 Skyline by a lot, there are still plenty of Skylines about... Also, because Holden are shit, when they put the RB30 into the Comodore, they put the head lower than the top tank of the radiator... VLs always got air in the system and blew head gaskets while Skylines didn't... That is the Aussie Car Industry for you, can even take someone elses reliable engine and screw it up... so there are probably more Skylines on the road now than VLs...

Computer, Loom, Manifold(s), throttle linkages, Fuel Pump.

Often non-EFI cars don't have a return fuel line, so check your car...

I am sure this would be the easiest conversion you could do, and unless you are running multiple carburetors now, should give much better drivability and some horsepower gains...

Would it be difficult/expensive to import a whole cheap standard parts car into Brunei??? might not be worthwhile, (assuming you would pay a few thousand in shipping)... Otherwise, buy one on eBay in Western Australia, jump on a plane with your tools, drive it to the airport car park, strip it and leave it :lol:

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Importing a car for parts is outta the question. The laws are quite strict here especially when i don't have an import licence and it's not easy to obtain one either.

When the time comes to salvage parts, i hope someone here at SAU will help me gather the bits and pieces that i need to convert it to EFI and turbo. I will need someone with access to both R31 and VL parts.

Will make a new thread when the time comes. Be sure to find a big box cause it will be filled up. lol

Importing a car for parts is outta the question. The laws are quite strict here especially when i don't have an import licence and it's not easy to obtain one either.

When the time comes to salvage parts, i hope someone here at SAU will help me gather the bits and pieces that i need to convert it to EFI and turbo. I will need someone with access to both R31 and VL parts.

Will make a new thread when the time comes. Be sure to find a big box cause it will be filled up. lol

I didn't realise you were thinkng RB30ET...

If you were doing that, I would be thinking of going RB25DET or RB26DETT....

Yeah, well RB30ET will be unique here as there is no such engine here. Plus it will be on a KCR31 coupe.

Maybe easier to just buy and RB25 head and everything and convert your bottom end than find and RB30ET...

Not sure how difficult fitting the turbo manifold etc from a Holden to a Nissan would be..

Should be fairly easy, a lot of GQ patrol drivers throw away the carby and put the EFI manifold and turbo bits on for more power. Will most likely work the exact same way. You're going to get some serious squat in the rear end with all the torque.

Should be fairly easy, a lot of GQ patrol drivers throw away the carby and put the EFI manifold and turbo bits on for more power. Will most likely work the exact same way. You're going to get some serious squat in the rear end with all the torque.

I thought the Patrols were L30s, not RB30s...

and all Australia could muster was live axle even 10 years after the japs did IRS on the C210?

You would think Australia could do better than that.

Just a bit of information to add to this;

The government of the day (Bob Hawke) had no choice but to continue with the orders made by the Fraser government 1975~83 that any locally made & sold cars had to have a minimum local content so that they could get the imported parts & cars into Australia with tariff protection (Customs by-laws) and the chosen local diff supplier was Borg Warner and they didn't produce an IRS style diff & LSD's were something of expensive options.

Hence the Aussie R31 had a live BW rear axle, same as Ford & Holden of same era.

Mind you, there is only one Aussie Skyline, it's a bit of a pig except for the Gibson cars S1 & S2 GTS's compared to previous and later models.

Stick with an R30 & you can boast you own the original R34.

Cheers, D

I think my diff is open as well. Will need a LSD option fitted when my project starts. Hard to find one nowadays. Don't know if mine's 25 or 28 spline axle's. Maybe the Australian Silhouette version will fit. I heard it has 28 spline axles.