SAU Community

At What Point Do You Replace/upgrade The Fuel Pump

Hi folks, I have a fairly mild R33. Mods are limited to a full 3inch catback exhaust, std airbox with custom ram air scoop and BMC filter as well as an R34 intercooler.

I plan to doing the free boost mod in the short term to get 7-8psi the whole time. (maybe 9-10 given my supporting mods?)

Will the std fuel pump flow enough for this setup or will it need to be upgraded? If so what is the reommended part numbers?

My current fuel pump appears in good nick, not noisy, and the car does not appear to be running out of fiel up top, pulls strong and no missing or running issues.

Thanks

Jason

I got in my car one day and it wouldn't start. That is when i replaced my fuel pump lol

+1 for "do it for peace of mind".. i bought mine second hand (but new in box) for about $180

i had a strange miss at idle one day so it put a new Walbro fuel pump in and has been great fixed up the miss at idle i was pretty sure it was on its way out :)

there are a lot of fake walbros though so be careful but for $180 bucks its cheap upgreade knowing your not going to run out of fuel

If it ain't broke don't fix it doesn't apply to old fuel pumps. If it leans out or fails at high revs bang goes your motor. There is a Walbro with the skyline fitting kit:

http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/store/walbr...mp/prod_80.html

or the Bosch 040 in tank.

Had it 4 years like this

Any part on a car can fail at any time be it new or old

Edited by jjskyline79

The problem with fuel pumps is if they go from working to failure instantly while driving around normally it's usually fine as the car will usually just stall on you or simply won't start as others have said. It's when they slowly begin to fail and it gradually leans out more and more due to a loss in fuel pressure or when you start giving the car a bit of a thrashing, that's when it can take an engine with it.

PM-R33 is spot on. if it fails this is OK as the engine stalls

its only when you are pushing power out of it, and it cant keep enough

the engine has enough fuel to run, but not enough to be safe, so it leans out

your engine goes bang

we've seen a GTR R34 do this with a pump that couldn't keep up, costly rebuild and dangerous fire

i have basically the same mods as you and my pump is fine.

even though it is still working ok i am going to change it very soon.

i figure for $150-$180 it is a very cheap assurance.

and going by the recommendation of well known skyline mechanic, the walbro is fine to use.

there is one guy in this country who has gone through 4 engines in the last 3 months. he kept rebuilding the engine and was not interested in searching for the reason it is happening.

He is now asking for my help. Pump will be replaced and AFR's will be checked now ;)