SAU Community

Paint Protection

Can you tell me what the best product is for paint protection , my car has a perfect paint job already

yes i have read many topics in regard to waxing and paint protection , so many i am really confused ,

my car just needs protection/coating from sun and rain without altering the surface with an abrasive product .

Should i be using a tech wax or has anyone heard of tough seal - any good ? something else ???????????????

Edited by NISSAN GTR

Simple answer for you wanting something to protect it from the sun and elements, a coat of 100% carnauba wax.

Complicated answer, I will be typing to much and don't want to at the moment lol. How much knowledge do you currently have in car care products? Ie differences between synthetic/natural waxes, polishes etc?

Edited by PM-R33

Simple answer for you wanting something to protect it from the sun and elements, a coat of 100% carnauba wax.

Complicated answer, I will be typing to much and don't want to at the moment lol. How much knowledge do you currently have in car care products? Ie differences between synthetic/natural waxes, polishes etc?

The previous owner in Japan used a rain x style product to coat the whole car -which he sprayed on and buffed out --- weird ?

My understanding is natural carnauba wax is also used as shoe polish , surfboard wax ,chewing gum . Will it be long lasting , as my car is used once a month . Whats a good brand . cheers

Carnauba wax is the most long lasting natural protectant known to man hence why it is used in many things.

Most polymer/synthetic type waxes have a much better shine, better application, however usually don't last to long. Like I said, there is a lot to know about car care, and I would no way call myself an expert, however it is a bit of a passion of mine. Used to have talks to all the reps (Mothers, Autoglym, Meguiars, Bowdens etc) about their products while working at Autobarn over the years and I use a bit of each brand for something depending on how easy it is to apply, the overall look and how long it lasts. The price usually doesn't bother me since car care products last a decent amount of time so forking out for something decent that lasts you a year aint to bad.

Living in North QLD definetely tests your cars paint protection from the sun and I like to think for the age of my car the paint looks pretty damn good.

Personally for a decent "cheaper" natural wax I quite like the Mothers Carnauba liquid wax. I find it lasts quite long and is easy to apply without leaving to much chalky residue. However you will find most of the good brand 100% Carnauba waxes are nearly identical. These days I switch and try different synethetic waxes such as the Tech Wax 2.0 by Meguiars or the Reflections by Mothers.

Has your car just been painted or is it just well maintained factory paint? If it's factory paint I would hit it with a clay bar and prewax cleaner after a wash to clean the surface and prep it for the produts. The preperation of the paint is the key factor to getting a glass finish. Then hit it with some Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine to really get the depth from the dark colour out and then seal it with some of the wax I recommended. On dark colours the combination should leave a rich, deep look.

Edited by PM-R33

Carnauba wax is the most long lasting natural protectant known to man hence why it is used in many things.

Most polymer/synthetic type waxes have a much better shine, better application, however usually don't last to long. Like I said, there is a lot to know about car care, and I would no way call myself an expert, however it is a bit of a passion of mine. Used to have talks to all the reps (Mothers, Autoglym, Meguairs, Bowdens etc) about their products while working at Autobarn over the years and I use a bit of each brand for something depending on how easy it is to apply, the overall look and how long it lasts. The price usually doesn't bother me since car care products last a decent amount of time so forking out for something decent that lasts you a year aint to bad.

Living in North QLD definetely tests your cars paint protection from the sun and I like to think for the age of my car the paint looks pretty damn good.

Personally for a decent "cheaper" natural wax I quite like the Mothers liquid wax. I find it lasts quite long and is easy to apply without leaving to much chalky residue.

Has your car just been painted or is it just well maintained factory paint? If it's factory paint I would hit it with some Autoglym ultra deep shine to really get the depth from the dark colour out and then seal it with some of the wax I recommended. On dark colours the combination should leave a rich, deep look.

Yeah dude its factory paint , my mate keeps rattling on about Tough seal - sealant products ,

heard anything about them . i think your suggestion with Autoglym and then wax is the go .

• 2 weeks later...

my opinion - don't go anywhere near products that say they'll last 3,5,10 yrs etc etc.

Most (not all) of these long life sealants show up some kind of wear well before that time, and are an absolute b!tch to remove, or they simply don't work at all.

Personally, if you're after a nice seal that does last and is tried and proven, give Zaino a go. Its regarded as one of the longer lasting sealants 9-12 months, is pretty easy to apply as well, so you're not paying someone ^^ $475 to put fark knows what on your car claiming that every detailer in the world has got it wrong and their new wizz bang special sauce is the best sh!t since sliced bread.

Zaino has a pretty good sealant called Z-CS. Very very easy to apply and it lasts. So far am pretty happy with it. Even 5-6 months after applying everything just slips off.

From Zaino

Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal is an advanced total synthetic polymer protectant that is simply wiped on. You can achieve a Zaino award winning gloss and protective durability in one simple wipe on step. Wipe on, and walk away, you’re done – No buffing – No final wipe down. Just apply & let dry. Zaino is pioneering the industry with Z-CS, a self curing transparent sealer that doesn’t require any buffing or final wiping. Z-CS dries clean and without residue and can be used on paint, glass, wheels, plastic, or trim for the protection, durability, slickness, and gloss that Zaino is most popular for. All surfaces are protected against potentially damaging exposure to sun or ultra-violet light with our best UV inhibitors.

For up to 9 months protection, use Z-CS to top coat Zaino Show Car Polish protectants, or use Z-CS by itself. You can even use Z-CS as a top coat to add high-gloss and improved durability to any other manufacturer’s product. Z-CS extends the gloss and durability of any previously applied products however should never be applied over uncured waxes.

Paint protection or sealant is just a fancy name for wax.X-kote is a liquid polyerathane that bonds into the paint.It is used in the U.S.A ,Canada,France,Spain,Holland and now Australia.On aircraft,boats and all automotive.we have done over 100 cars since April and not one complaint

Want some awesome marketing advice? Learn to use the space bar! Proper grammar will help sell a product.

On Topic

If you're worried about the state of your paint prior to waxing I would possibly look at having a good panel shop/detailer to a buff/clean of the paint. Might cost a little bit but the results would be worth it.

Don't bother with the so called 'paint protection' products.

1. You pay a fortune for something you could do twice a year. Proper fortnightly washing techniques, a claybar once a year and a quality LSP (Last stage product: wax/sealant) will protect your car each year.

2. The manufacturers claims are misleading. The 3/5 year guarantees require the customer to return at certain intervals (quarterly/yearly) for an inspection to top up the product used. The product itself does not last 5 years with that single application. Otherwise I could say my wax has a lifetime guarantee....provided that i re-wax my car at regular intervals for the rest of my life.

3. Instead use a QUALITY wax or sealant to protect your car for 4-6 months at which you can re-apply. My recommendations for Sealants: Zaino products. For Waxes: Collinite products - They are one of the most durable waxes available.

Available resources: www.detailingworld.co.uk

www.detailparadise.com.au

Edited by tranman

Agreed..

Personally i use a good carnuba wax, (california gold, not sure they sell it anymore) maybe once a year or so, but use a light coat of an easy spray wax (pressure can type not spray bottle) every couple of months or so when i wash it...water still beads and i havent washed it for 2-3months

If you want serious protection get this..

http://www.goopguys.com.au/product_details.php?id=9

So serious you have to peel it off... :yes:

• 11 months later...

Wrong, NO wax and I mena NO wax is 100% carnauba. 100% carnauba is a solid wax and un-usable for anything other than say a paper weight, you can even buy this from DODO Juice.

Companies who say 70% carnauba wax would be 70% carnauba by volume so if you have 200g wax which all waxes are made up of a variety of things and in the 200g there is 80g of actual waxes well 70% of that 80g is carnauba. Or some can play it as out of the 200g there is 30g of wax in there and all of that is carnauba so its 100% carnauba by their claim.

Most polymer/synthetic type waxes have a much better shine, better application, however usually don't last to long. Like I said, there is a lot to know about car care, and I would no way call myself an expert, however it is a bit of a passion of mine. Used to have talks to all the reps (Mothers, Autoglym, Meguiars, Bowdens etc) about their products while working at Autobarn over the years and I use a bit of each brand for something depending on how easy it is to apply, the overall look and how long it lasts. The price usually doesn't bother me since car care products last a decent amount of time so forking out for something decent that lasts you a year aint to bad.

Personally for a decent "cheaper" natural wax I quite like the Mothers Carnauba liquid wax. I find it lasts quite long and is easy to apply without leaving to much chalky residue. However you will find most of the good brand 100% Carnauba waxes are nearly identical. These days I switch and try different synethetic waxes such as the Tech Wax 2.0 by Meguiars or the Reflections by Mothers.

Has your car just been painted or is it just well maintained factory paint? If it's factory paint I would hit it with a clay bar and prewax cleaner after a wash to clean the surface and prep it for the produts. The preperation of the paint is the key factor to getting a glass finish. Then hit it with some Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine to really get the depth from the dark colour out and then seal it with some of the wax I recommended. On dark colours the combination should leave a rich, deep look.

Wrong, Polymer sealants, nano sealants and synthetics generally have a LONGER life than carnauba waxes this is why people that know the product generally lay down a coat or two of a sealant then top it with a wax. Synthetics are generally easier to apply but DONT shine as much or give a depth of gloss like a proper wax.

You would not use a paint cleaner/pre wax cleaner after wash prior to polishing or paint correction.

Want some awesome marketing advice? Learn to use the space bar! Proper grammar will help sell a product.

On Topic

If you're worried about the state of your paint prior to waxing I would possibly look at having a good panel shop/detailer to a buff/clean of the paint. Might cost a little bit but the results would be worth it.

CORRECT, many people "polish" their car but generally this is by hand with a heavier compound using a cloth and leaves swirls in the paint and rub marks. See my website www.immaculatereflections.com.au to see a proper polishing job and paint correction which multipul types of pads polishes and machine polishers and process's are needed to achieve.

Don't bother with the so called 'paint protection' products.

1. You pay a fortune for something you could do twice a year. Proper fortnightly washing techniques, a claybar once a year and a quality LSP (Last stage product: wax/sealant) will protect your car each year.

2. The manufacturers claims are misleading. The 3/5 year guarantees require the customer to return at certain intervals (quarterly/yearly) for an inspection to top up the product used. The product itself does not last 5 years with that single application. Otherwise I could say my wax has a lifetime guarantee....provided that i re-wax my car at regular intervals for the rest of my life.

3. Instead use a QUALITY wax or sealant to protect your car for 4-6 months at which you can re-apply. My recommendations for Sealants: Zaino products. For Waxes: Collinite products - They are one of the most durable waxes available.

Available resources: www.detailingworld.co.uk

www.detailparadise.com.au

Search Opti-Coat reviews online this is a product that will last that long with proper care and i was a non believer until I used it and saw third person reviews on it.

Most waxes will only last 2-3 months with regular washing, There was a large sealant test done with a horse carrier sectioned up and around 40-50 sealants applied as directed on the bottle and the ones that lasted longest still only lasted 7 months. Unfortunatly this was done prior to opti-coat being readily available.

Search epic sealant test to find it.

Please dont take anything i have said as being rude or arogant, I am simply correcting some things you have got wrong. Trying to stop others using wrong or having the wrong idea on car care and detailing.

Check out my thread here.. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/369354-detailing-and-car-care-de-coded/ ask any more questions if you please.

Regards,

Mitch

HI guys,

I more than happy to help out with any question you may regarding waxes, sealants and coatings to protect your car.

A few things to consider are;

- How often would you like to add protection to your car ie, do you like waxing your car once a month or apply a spray wax every wash or would you prefer to apply it once a year?

- Are you after protection for your paint or is a higher priority the look that a wax can give your paint.

Once you know what you are after I am more than happy to recommend options at different prices.

Let me know if I can help.

HI guys,

I more than happy to help out with any question you may regarding waxes, sealants and coatings to protect your car.

A few things to consider are;

- How often would you like to add protection to your car ie, do you like waxing your car once a month or apply a spray wax every wash or would you prefer to apply it once a year?

- Are you after protection for your paint or is a higher priority the look that a wax can give your paint.

Once you know what you are after I am more than happy to recommend options at different prices.

Let me know if I can help.

+1 for that.

I have spoken to Antonio of many occasions for guidance and new product info. Always great and willing to help!

Regards,

Mitch

Mark, as per prev advice, SEAL

do all the usual, wash, decontaminate, wash/cleanse, polish, wash/clease etc...

you seem to suggest you have got the paint to the level you want and just want to sus out the LSP, last step product.

Try Final Inspection Seal Regular (Strong prob a bit fiddly for you to apply by the sounds of it), put a few layers down (need 72 hrs cure time in between off the top of my head).

Maintain with QD like Boost, or layer a carnauba wax ontop for a little extra gloss and another sacrificial layer in between washes.

Mark, as per prev advice, SEAL

do all the usual, wash, decontaminate, wash/cleanse, polish, wash/clease etc...

you seem to suggest you have got the paint to the level you want and just want to sus out the LSP, last step product.

Try Final Inspection Seal Regular (Strong prob a bit fiddly for you to apply by the sounds of it), put a few layers down (need 72 hrs cure time in between off the top of my head).

Maintain with QD like Boost, or layer a carnauba wax ontop for a little extra gloss and another sacrificial layer in between washes.

Sorry i have to STRONGLY reccomend against. I have used and know people who have used the FI sealant and found it not good in durability and sheeting. There was a HUGE test done on sealants and Klasse AIO and Sealant combo lasted 6 months on a horse carrier in the UK winter as did Chemical Boys Jetseal109.

You can buy Klasse from waxit.com.au who are also a supporter of the forums and club....support those who support you!

Alternativly chemguys.com.au you can get jetseal from

Topped with a nice wax like colli or P21S carnauba would be great! these can be bought all together as one from waxit.com.au btw do a search on reviews on all detailing items before you buy its your best guarantee.

Regards,

Mitch

I use SEAL regular ... 3 coats and it lasted my sisters hyundai accent about 7 or 8 months - probably washing it once every 2 months and left outside in the open

it sheeted water very well, better than any other wax or sealant ive tried before and it was incredibly easy to apply :)

i also did it on my dads volvo and the protection is still there (this one is maintained a little better than the hyundai - but still probably only a wash every month or so) and its lasted a good 10 months at this stage i think? I did it in October last year .. that would make it 9 actually

and it still has that slick feel wub.gif

ok, test started last 2008 and finished early 2009 - a few things

-FI Seal wasn't even out yet

-I've used a few of those products that finished at the end of the test and FI Seal lasted as long if not longer, so what does that mean? In the biggest test ever, Seal would have been there at the end?

-That test isn't a great one because he has applied sealants to all areas of the horse box, and different areas of the car/vehicle cop it more than others and the LSP in those areas will definitely deteriorate quicker than the rest. For a good test, you'd have to say divide up the bonnet and roof, would be an even test.

I fail to see how you could "STRONGLY" recommend against using a product that has shown on many occasion to perform just as well if not better than others out there. That's something you would say to someone asking if they should use Nu-wax or buy the FW1 cleaner from the servo.....

The application process is a little fiddly, making sure you give it the correct bonding time, check to see if it's sweating etc, but get that right and it's been better than any other sealant i've used.

I'll happily use what works best on my car, and have a bunch of non-FI products, but if i find the FI product to be just as good (in most cases better) then i'll switch.

Like Menzerna, i wouldn't use anything else, brilliant polishes but CAP range was better, so i switched.