SAU Community

Project Im Working On - Automation A "car Tycoon" Game

daffyflyer

Hey, long time lurker (im from MX5cartalk) but never posted here

Just wanted to get you guys to have a look at the little game project im working on.

Its pretty much a game where you run a car company, but unlike other game ive seen its got a fair bit of detail for the car nuts, designing your own engines and things like that.

Its not even close to done (perhaps a year away?) but if you guys want to come have a look at it and spam me with ideas and comments etc on the forums that'd be sweet.

www.automationgame.com is the website.

Mods: Hope this isn't considered advertising, im not trying to sell anything, though if the project goes well it might get sold eventually, if im out of line feel free to bin this thread

Edited by daffyflyer

This looks interesting. I am not sure if you will check back here, but i am keen to play a beta or demo. Being able to drive the cars will be nice to see how you could implement that. I like the sound of the people behind this game too =p

Occupation: Using daffyflyer's money to bake cakes, play computer games and sit on the internet. Also occasionally looking for jobs.

Keep up the good work =]

This looks interesting. I am not sure if you will check back here, but i am keen to play a beta or demo. Being able to drive the cars will be nice to see how you could implement that. I like the sound of the people behind this game too =p

Keep up the good work =]

Yeah, there will be a demo at some point, it will most likely take form of just the engine designer to play with at first, then a more fully featured one later.

Being able to drive the cars might be possible in the far future, but its a pretty big job to do it realisticly (which we would want to)

Keep an eye on the website if you want to see the latest on it ;)

This looks interesting, just checked the site out and looks like it is coming along. The engine designer looks pretty cool, its pretty similar to a game I bought on ebay called "Street Legal". You would start off with 20k or something buy a P.O.S. car and you could literally strip the car down. take quarter panels off and doors and even the engine. You basically had to figure out how the engine went together and and build it up from scratch. street legal 2 took this further by being able to fine tune cams, idle revs, redline, a/f mixtures and stuff like that.

Would be interesting to compare your game to this one. If you havent heard of it check it out. It was a complex game but I think most of the attention went to the build up feature and not the physic coz the cars were terrible handlers.

You should working hard at refining it, was very addictive building up engines and tuning them.

Street Legal Images

Yeah, we actually had a play with "Street Legal" to get some ideas.

It was an interesting concept but felt really unfinished, we hope to get things a bunch more polished than that.

Should be fun building engines in this if we do it right, but it will be but one aspect of the game, there will be all the manufacturing and sales side plus of course designing the rest of the car :(

Feel free to come bug us with questions and ideas in the forum, we like it :bunny:

Saved to favorites.

What sort of freedoms will be allowed / not allowed,

Things like bore v stroke and rod ratios affecting power, reliability, and suspension design and things like that.

Saved to favorites.

What sort of freedoms will be allowed / not allowed,

Things like bore v stroke and rod ratios affecting power, reliability, and suspension design and things like that.

Pretty much the rule with detail from a design standpoint is "As much detail as is still fun"

So far engine design is fairly realistic, but with some simplified stuff, as an example you pretty much just have a "Mild to Wild" duration slider for cams, plus a slider for cam lift (which is basically a power to valve train reliability tradeoff)

Reliability is affected by things like how highly stressed the engine is compared to how strong it is and that sort of thing, and indeed long stroke motors will be more highly stressed when turning the same revs

Suspension design will most likely be a bit simpler as its just not as fun as engines, basically choosing a suspension design, then some springs and dampers for it, perhaps with some suspension tuning sliders.

We pretty much aim to cover every aspect of the car industry that will interest people, watch the website for updates as we work things out :ph34r:

P.S: Join the forums and post suggestions there damn you all! :thumbsup:

Edited by daffyflyer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We have been working away on the game, and here is the a picture that shows the myriad of options available to you within the Engine Designer Demo. The demo only pertains to the Inline 4 engine configuration, the full game of course will cover a wide range of configurations. The game will also cover various forced induction, but this will not be covered in first release of the demo. We know how much people love their turbos and you will get them!

EngineParts.png

• 4 months later...

looks very well done

but seems like more of a modding game? car tycoon to me implys a form of micromanagement with cars, like a car sale company or something

just watched the engine vid, thats awesome, id even like a program that was just that by itself if the figures are accurate

Edited by ClutchBurndout-:(

[quote name=ClutchBurndout-:(' timestamp='1308628291' post='5875702]

looks very well done

but seems like more of a modding game? car tycoon to me implys a form of micromanagement with cars, like a car sale company or something

just watched the engine vid, thats awesome, id even like a program that was just that by itself if the figures are accurate

Yeah, its about running a car company - but you've gotta design the cars before you can sell them :P

this game looks pretty cool. just the engine building department would keep me occupied, not to mention trying to design the rest of the car and trying to sell the damned thing. i hope the forced induction side will be very complex and detailed (manifold design, housing specs, wheel trims, thrust/ball bearing, intercooler/intake design. centrifugal/twin screw etc etc etc etc)

• 1 month later...

Video of building a car start to finish.

And to answer some questions, no mac version, and we don't have any 8s or 6s yet, but the final version will.

We shall see how complex forced induction gets, but it'll be about as complex as the rest of the engine design process

Edited by daffyflyer