SAU Community

Speeding On P's

drive_guy

i actually drive a vl, but thats besides the point

edit

taken from a gov website.

Penalties for excessive speeding

If you are caught travelling at 45 km/h or more above the speed limit, you will incur the following penalties:

* automatic loss of licence for six months

* six demerit points

* expiation fee.

Your licence will usually be suspended if you are detected going over the speed limit by 25 km/h or more.

Your vehicle may be immobilised or impounded if you are travelling 45 km/h or more over the speed limit, or at more than 145 km/h.

The police may give you a warning if you are doing less than 10 km/h over the speed limit. See ‘Police action’ in ‘Possible outcomes for traffic offences’ (link below).

All excessive speed offences attract demerit points. See ‘Demerit points’ (link below).

Can I stop my licence from being suspended?

Your licence can be saved if the magistrate believes you were driving less than 25 km/h over the speed limit, at a speed less than 130 km/h. Otherwise the magistrate has no choice and must suspend your licence.

If your licence is suspended, the minimum suspension period depends on how much over the speed limit you were driving:

* 25 to less than 35 km/h over the speed limit – one month

* 35 to less than 45 km/h over the speed limit – six months

* 45 km/h or more over the speed limit – 12 months

Edited by drive_guy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're f**ked. From what you've just said.

If your licence is suspended, the minimum suspension period depends on how much over the speed limit you were driving:

If you are caught travelling at 45 km/h or more above the speed limit, you will incur the following penalties:

* six demerit points

* expiation fee.

That means you'll lose your license for 12months, THEN an additional 3 (or is it 6?) months for running out of demerit points.

You're f**ked. From what you've just said.

* six demerit points

* expiation fee.

That means you'll lose your license for 12months, THEN an additional 3 (or is it 6?) months for running out of demerit points.

I think thats right, plus the additional 12-15 months added onto the probationary license thanks to the "graduated licensing system", which punishes getting fines and rewards a clean driving record.

Just to add another little rule.

If you get caught at 130 in 110 zone your license will be suspended for a month.

Thats retarded. According to the Vic police website:

"Excessive speed is defined as driving 25 kilometres an hour or more above the speed limit, or at 130 kilometres an hour or more (if the speed limit is 110 kilometres per hour)."

So I can drive at 64km/h an hour in 40km/h school zone and keep my license and just get a fine, yet if I do 130km/h in a 110km/h zone on the drive from Sydney to Melbourne I lose my license.

Once again the burecrats have screwed up royal.

Just for the record I know you dont make the rules Graeme and your in just as crappy position as the rest of us, if not worse as you have to enforce these stupid laws and then cop the backlash from the public.

I guess the only rationale with that rule is that 130 km/h is deemed too fast according to the rule makers and you lose your license. I know this rule from personal experience, I lost my license for going 131 in 110 zone and at the time in all other speed zones you had to be 30km/h or more over the limit to lose it. Imagine how I felt.

I was lucky to get accepted into force with that. I know now days you can't get in for at least 5 years after having license suspended. At the time I spoke to a s/sgt that I was friends with and he didn't even know that rule.

And you're the one that just got your P's?

Very smart :(

LOL!!!!

{hint}

silly stuff like that is exactly wat make reast of us look bad, i wouldnt be posting stuff like loosng ur license for speeding on the forum. :(

I guess the only rationale with that rule is that 130 km/h is deemed too fast according to the rule makers and you lose your license. I know this rule from personal experience, I lost my license for going 131 in 110 zone and at the time in all other speed zones you had to be 30km/h or more over the limit to lose it. Imagine how I felt.

I was lucky to get accepted into force with that. I know now days you can't get in for at least 5 years after having license suspended. At the time I spoke to a s/sgt that I was friends with and he didn't even know that rule.

Was just thinking about that...I thought it was a clean record though? I.e. no points or suspensions. A mate of mine who was in the academy said he had to have an absolutely clean record in order to get accepted in and it was bloody hard to keep it that way lol.

I've heard that Drink Driving prior means you will most likely never get in. License suspension may be a 5-10 year wait with a clean record after that. I have also heard of people getting knocked back as had too many demerit points (only more than 6) and had to wait until demerit points reset. I only here these as I try to assist recruit/applicants on certain forums.

Then again I know one member who has been lodged for drunk twice and had about 30+ speeding fines in 10 years and he got in (bloody motorcycle rider) lol. Now he wants to go to TMU and fines everyone for everything.

i think i may have an option of a good behavior bond, which is 1 point for 12 months? correct me if im wrong. im certain i was doing under 105, i like to hope so anyway

LOL is that a serious question? Do you not see this the same way as everyone else?

You were doing 40km over the speed limit and had your liscence for 4 weeks...... have fun trying :nyaanyaa:

If you require your liscence for work, start preparing the documentation to get an exemption for work purposes ONLY! with that sort of speed you may also be rejected, although normally they can be pretty generous

that only applies if you've used up all your points, not an immediate suspension sentence.

but 130 and losing licence? that's bullshit man, 130 isn't even all that fast.

im pretty sure i will us up all my point because i got done again last night which is utter bullshit. it was a red light speed cam, i couldnt stop in time because it was wet, i was more than half way and i got flashed, mind you it was still amber when i went over the line. Im contesting this one for sure.

Im just the luckiest guy out huh.

^^ lol i dunno how this is going to look? yer pretty unlucky maybe slow down a bit!

GL with it all, keep in mind u only got 3 lol

You do realise that u need to enter and LEAVE the intersection before you get fined! hence u always get 2 flashes