SAU Community

Parking Safety Cameras

sloutch

It was actually in Perth, and it was a clubbing area so parking are really really hard to find or gonna cost like 5 beers to park the car at the pay parking area. :D I could have refund but I needed a new battery anyway so no harm to my hip pocket :D

Nah, I was just saying that IF you didn't need the battery :D That would actually be a good way of getting out of it :)

I wrote a letter when I was stopped for 30 seconds in a no stopping zone, I didn't get out of it. However my partner's car broke down, he moved it somewhere he wasn't supposed to for a few days, copped a few parking fines, wrote a letter and had them pardoned. Not much he could do when the car wouldn't move.

Usually if you can provide a towing recpeit and similar - you can write a letter and the fine/notice will just be passed off.

I've had fines struck that was a few times over the years without issue.

However if you are just stopped there, you ain't a lot of room to move on that one.

Sucky situation but I think the wording is, "no standing" meaning you can't be stopped there even for a second in the car, and "no parking" where you can be stopped but must be in the car with it on...

I pulled over to a no standing zone so I could get a look at my GPS and I had a cop come up to my window telling me to move my car or he'd fine me...was pretty fair of him but tight to be doing that over 30 seconds of stoppage, it's not like I couldn't move in the scenario that space is needed...

^^ That's the difference between no standing and no parking. No standing often is set because stopping there would obstruct traffic or view of traffic, both of which are safety issues. (Rather than inconvenience issues).

tell them that you ran out of petrol and that, it was the safest place to leave the car. you couldn't start it to move it. then sit back and let them prove it.

Well, i wasn't parked on on NO STANDING area...the sign had LOADING ZONE and that's it..

Anyway, i've managed to arrange to see my 'pictures'... We'll see how it goes from there..

$117 doesn't come out from my pocket that easily :down:

I got done for stopping in loading zone at Stud Park while I was in car and just picked up my wife as she came outside. Only stopped for about a minute.

The stupidest story of a parking fine being issued was about 8 years ago in Burke Road, Camberwell the parking inspector fined an ambulance for being in a no standing area.

• 2 weeks later...

I got done by the Maribyrnong safety cam for waiting for a person leaving their parking spot.

Apparently if I was waiting for longer than 90 seconds then it is considered Double Parking, eventhough they clearly can see that i ended up parking on the spot I was waiting for. i've never heard of this before.

Can anyone tell me whether that is the law everywhere else or just the shitty marribyrnong council by-law?

cheers

note: my strategy is to ask for a warning if it is only their by-law as I 'm not aware at all

What about stopping under a sign then getting out to read the bloody thing to see if it is OK to stop or park?

Sometimes they have so many signs and so many with tiny writing etc that you can't really read it safely whilst at a moving pace. You really have to stop so you aren't blocking traffic, then get out and have a look before deciding if you can stop/park or not. If I got booked in that situation I would be PISSED off.

That's what happened to me the weekend before (just get the infringement notice today). I pulled over to an empty parking spot and looked up at the sign. When I saw it was a 'Loading zone', I moved off straight away. I didn't get out of my car, and the time the car stayed static is only a few seconds. However, according to the Safety Road Rules: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/con...09208/s179.html, "A driver must not stop in a loading zone ...". Am I not allowed to 'stop' in order to read the sign? I'm going to write a letter to explain the situation. Yup, it's with Maribyrnong Council.

It's ridiculous that they term these "safety" cameras to try and justify them having a necessary impact on the preservation of human life...shouldn't it be "inconvenience" camera instead? As far as I can tell the only threat it poses is a loading vehicle unable to park where it normally does...do these delivery drivers have a reputation for going postal when they discover a full loading zone?

for anyone who got done for "double parking" while waiting for a car to leave a parking spot, according to this link http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/con...09208/s189.html, as long as the driver ends up parking, it is not double parking. it doesn't say anything about 90 seconds time limit.

I hope that helps anyone got done for double parking.

Marribyrnong council have been on ACA and Today Tonight in relation to these cameras... ...and they always ask if they are just for raising money... ...Which it seems to me like they are...

Here's the Vic Roads site for loading zones and what Marribuyrnong council say their laws on the loading zones are... ...Sadly it looks to me like the fine will stick under the Vic Roads laws... ...But I'd still try and fight it if I was you...

They also say on their site here that the cameras will get you while you wait for someone to come out of a parking space... ...Which I feel is total crap...

People double parking is a real pain along Kingsway, Glen Waverley. It blocks up the whole road all the time. I normally just move people on but those who are there picking up food etc and just leave car for sometimes 5 minutes deserve a fine.