SAU Community

Just Wondering? What Happens If I Dont Pay My Speeding Fine In 28 Days?

SL33K

Hey guyz, i was just wondering what will happen if i dont pay my speeding Fine in 28 days?

Just got fined for driving at 61 in a 50 zone. :D

Do i have to pay right now? or do i get further 28 days after the 28 days?

cheers,

Vish.

160?!?! Drivel I say!

I'm not so hot on organisation, your fine will go up by the pricely sum of either 12.50 or 13.50, I can't remember. You can also not pay it for several months, each time incurring the same thing, until you go to court and basically get told to pay it.

2nd notice the fine will go up by 12.50 or so

the 3rd one will be at the fines registery which will be 50$ ontop of the original fine + 12.50

The next one after fines registery actually processes it would be another 130+ ontop i think

have always wondered. could u just say u never got it. because its not sent registered mail so couldn't u just say well im sorry i would have payed i just didnt get the fine

because apparently u can do the same thing for jury duty. i have never tried it i just get a doc to sign a form saying i cant attend. i wish i could do that with everything :)

160?!?! Drivel I say!

Just dug out my folder of bills.. got confused..turns out that $160 was a transperth fine for buying a concession ticket without a concession smart rider..

Thew all their letters in the bin, until I got one that said pay this one or see you in court D:

Student card just wouldn't cut it :)

R32 DRIVER is right, it was either 112.50 or 113.50 lol

If not paid within 28days, you get a final demand notice for the fine + $13.50. If that total amount is still not paid within 28days, it is then referred to the Fines Enforcement Registry. If not dealt with through FER within a further 28days, FER can place a driver's licence and/or vehicle registration under fines suspension for non-payment of fines.

So in short, pay on time :(

28 days on the initial pay up or goto court sheet, then

28 days late notice, still police dept, then

(random amount of time to get to fine enforcement; at this point you are deemed guilty of the offense and the demerits if any are deducted)

28 days from the fine enforcement dept, then

28 days late notice sheet, then

suspended licence.

keep this in mind if you only have a couple points left and you're due for some back in the next 12 months -- you can use the late notices to your advantage, i've once delayed points being deducted off my licence for 14 months... then i handed in my licence and left the country haha

if you elect to take it to court it will take 2-8months for the court date to come through (recently they gave me a october 2010 court date for a november 2009 offense)... and since you are not yet guilty no points will be deducted.. and even once the court date comes in, you can just tick the box to plead guilty.. and the points aren't deducted until the magistrate signs off on it. of course you'll have to pay court costs (~$115 extra) but it's a small price to pay if it's between that and no licence

Edited by ohno1

i am going to pay it for sure. was just wondering if it was ok to pay after the 28 days... like 10 days after that. just have some things to pay up first.

You won't be able to use the original first, you would have to wait until the 2nd notice that's that ~$10-$15 more people are talking about. I don't know because I've only ever had 2 fines lol

You could do that....or you could just man up, pay it, and get it over & done with instead of dragging it out.

my point was that if you're in limbo between losing the last points on your licence and receiving some points back you can use the system to your advantage

my point was that if you're in limbo between losing the last points on your licence and receiving some points back you can use the system to your advantage

Ohno1 you unfortunately cant use this to your advantage anymore. I've seen a guy first hand at the dpi centre in willagee try that. what happens is when you pay the fine those points get back dated to the offence date. At which point you lose licence for 3 months or double or nothing.

eg. If you had 2 points left and you lost 3 before you get anymore back you would be at 13 points and would so lose licence regardless of how long you take to pay up. When u eventually pay it. they will look all the way back to the offence date. realise you had 2 points left then take 3 points from that date. Not the date you pay up.

It was a loop hole which may have worked. But unfortunately it doesnt anymore. (ps. the guy saw trying it on stood there arguing it for a few hours with no luck) hope this helps