SAU Community

Hoon Laws Revamped?

Serg

Here's a way to resolve it even better. You get caught hoon driving and go to court. 1st time loss of Licence for 2 years and large fine. Second offence 6 months Jail and loss of licence for 5 years and 3rd offence permanent loss of Driver's Licence and Jail for 2 years. Let them keep their car and let the family drive it as they will never be allowed.

The only way to get through to any offenders is making SERIOUS consequences for their actions at court. Why is there so much crime at present and more and more serious crime by the day. Simple .... becasue the courts give them NOTHING.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They had a single airbag didn't they? And if he's taken out the airbag and replaced with a SC Auto spec wheel that would explain them not bothering to get the thing in roadworthy condition for sale...

Cars should be sold to wreckers and listed as write offs, not crushed. Crushing is just a vindictive waste of time. Doesn't get done to drunk drivers' cars, but that's because their cars aren't really a pride and joy to be stomped on...very immature solution.

i totaly agree COULD not be better said!.

I'm all for serious punishment for serious callous crimes.

Car crushing for having fun in a car is ridiculous. There should be some lenience given for attitude, and mainly for an actual amount of risk/danger that the behaviour actually causes.

Doing 160kmh in a 60 zone, prob not advisable

Doing 130 in a 110 zone, very low risk if you're even semi awake

Accidental burnout at the lights = rolled eyes, and practically no danger.

Chances of something like this being implemented = 0

Here's a way to resolve it even better. You get caught hoon driving and go to court. 1st time loss of Licence for 2 years and large fine. Second offence 6 months Jail and loss of licence for 5 years and 3rd offence permanent loss of Driver's Licence and Jail for 2 years. Let them keep their car and let the family drive it as they will never be allowed.

The only way to get through to any offenders is making SERIOUS consequences for their actions at court. Why is there so much crime at present and more and more serious crime by the day. Simple .... becasue the courts give them NOTHING.

Whilst I would like to see harsher penalties throughout our entire legal system...that sort of punishment opens the doors for law enforcement corruption to really f*** up someone's life. Right now, the worst a cop with a chip on his/her shoulder can do to me, without evidence, is impound my car and issue me with some defect/NOU notices along with appropriate fines. To implement what you suggest, lawmakers would really need to better define the use of the term "hoon driving", because right now it's too discretionary/subjective term...therefore easily abused. I would like requirements for some serious evidence of someone doing stupid things in a car before we consider revoking their licence for 2 years...talking video tape of them doing a burnout or a slide...

Accidental burnout at the lights = rolled eyes, and practically no danger.

It's idiots like this who can't drive for shit which cause these rules. La Bomba would also be in a flaming wreck by now if we could burn from lights legally.

Legalise! :(

Accidental burnout at the lights

now this one confuses me - if someone ACCIDENTLY (genuinely) lets the clutch off a tiny bit too fast or loses traction in the wet is that still going to be classed as a 'hoon' offense?

and their car impounded?

or im guessing it depends on the officer?

I'm pretty sure they have dual airbags and ABS - my older brother had one years ago, it was early model Executive btw.
The ABS was standard, dual airbags was an option on the Exec :(

My grandfather has the 2000 model olympic edition...no ABS. found out the hard way lol

now this one confuses me - if someone ACCIDENTLY (genuinely) lets the clutch off a tiny bit too fast or loses traction in the wet is that still going to be classed as a 'hoon' offense?

and their car impounded?

or im guessing it depends on the officer?

I would say it depends on the officer... Just like how they pull u over for random breath tests and pop the bonnet while there at it looking for defects instead of pulling over cars with only 1 head light or tail light... :(

My grandfather has the 2000 model olympic edition...no ABS. found out the hard way lol

LOL Commodore fail. Your right it was the VX that finally made ABS standard on all models. I cant believe it took them that long to make something standard considering it was available since the VP Commodore in 1992.

really is that the way to stop global climate change crushing cars so new ones have to be made

Its not really that an efficient use of resources is it.

come on police lets be a bit ecological minded please

lol, well feel free to replace accidental burnout with accidental loss of traction, shit I know (in the rare times ive actually had my car) that in the wet, taking off from lights when I am sitting on a tram track that this can happen.

I doubt thats gonna hurt anyone. I also really dont think I should lose my car over that. Could have happened in anything, but being an import the chances of you getting owned by the lovely police is supposedly a lot higher.

I just think the 'hoon' regulation should f**k off, culpable and reckless driving really should cover all road offences.

lol, well feel free to replace accidental burnout with accidental loss of traction, shit I know (in the rare times ive actually had my car) that in the wet, taking off from lights when I am sitting on a tram track that this can happen.

I doubt thats gonna hurt anyone. I also really dont think I should lose my car over that. Could have happened in anything, but being an import the chances of you getting owned by the lovely police is supposedly a lot higher.

I just think the 'hoon' regulation should f**k off, culpable and reckless driving really should cover all road offences.

+1

In the wet in my old commodore auto I spin the wheels on a fairly regular basis accelerating away from the lights in the wet, you have to be on the throttle exactly the right amount otherwise you either go no where or end up spinning the wheels down the road like crazy. My mate got done for "hooning" by a copper who he dealt with previously a little bit of wheel spin accelerating away from a pedestrian crossing and bang he got done, the cop just had it in for him since he got called to a party my mate was at . At the party there was a bit of scuffle between my mates and some other guys, so my mates walked away and went to hang out in the street then this cop came up asked if they were the guys who were involved in the scuffle and the cop proceeded to mouth off about how they are all "jobless bogan c***s who if there parents gave a f**k about them wouldnt be the f**k up's you are today". My friend took offence to this said to "f**k off and leave my parents out of it" then the cop grabbed him spun him around and smashed his body and his head against the side of his car, then proceeded to arrest him until his partner came over and said thats enough.

I thought my mate was full of shit until my brother showed me a recording of the conversation he secretly taped on his phone. Some cops just let the power go to their heads and like Birds said I dont want them having any more power of us than they already have.

it's all a crock. The magistrates should have the ultimate discretion, not the cops.

An example that sticks in my mind is me parking in my old SS at the ATM at 5am on my way to work, go to do a u turn, diff locks, wheels chirp a bit (not enough to leave any tyre marks), there's a cop who happened to be turning into that street, forced me to take a 20km/h over the limit fine or otherwise I'd get my car towed. I put it down to being a P plater in a V8 (was NSW licence so shit was kosher).

VicPol are a joke when it comes to this stuff. I see bogans doing well over 150 in a 60 zone every friday night and the old cops come in to the carparks to harass us. Waiting to see the first 3rd strike locally so I can see an American style high speed pursuit (bit of an inevitability given how many people I know personally who have already had 2 strikes!)

It would be nice to see more of a focus on actual crime rather than trying to revenue raise.

Edited by bozodos

Whilst I would like to see harsher penalties throughout our entire legal system...that sort of punishment opens the doors for law enforcement corruption to really f*** up someone's life. Right now, the worst a cop with a chip on his/her shoulder can do to me, without evidence, is impound my car and issue me with some defect/NOU notices along with appropriate fines. To implement what you suggest, lawmakers would really need to better define the use of the term "hoon driving", because right now it's too discretionary/subjective term...therefore easily abused. I would like requirements for some serious evidence of someone doing stupid things in a car before we consider revoking their licence for 2 years...talking video tape of them doing a burnout or a slide...

I was going to post something like birds in response to your electric chair solution but his post summed it up exactly the way I wanted to. It is up to the officers disgresion in relation to the hoon laws. Leaving it up to an officer to have the power to imprison somebody for 2 years is just obsurd. The little power they have now gets abused left right and centre, I can tell you that first hand as I'm going through this all as we speak, getting 'done' pretty much because as the cop said 'cos I can, I can get anyone anytime for anything if I feel like it'. Even so these hoon laws are looser than paris Hilton, no clear definition and "open to interpretation" which leads to these laws being manipulated and twisted. In saying that, politicians put pressure on police and as a chain reaction the police are under the pump to perform a certain quota of fines/charges whatever and as a result the public cops it as the police interperate these laws to benefit themselves and fill their quotas and become Nazi-like rulers of the roads. Soon if they don't like the colour of your car it's it's too yellow you'll end up in court the way this is going.

My post was a night shift response with my frustrations at other things showing. I totally agree that the court should impose all fines/punishment in any case that is not of a minor nature that can't be settled with a penalty notice. They have made impounding even easier for us now days. Initially any vehicle impounded the offender/driver had to be taken to court but now we can impound car and issue fines for speed 45+ over and fail to have full control of vehicle (burn out)

makes it a 5 min paperwork job to impound a car. Only need to wait for the tow. Little wonder that impounds have gone thru the roof!

I agree that there is too much interpretation that can be up to the police to determine when it comes to loss of traction.

The cars I have impounded were doing 70 km/h over speed limit and one was also suspended at the time. I also think that repeat unlicensed driver's should also fit impound criteria.

I'll be the first to say that it's nuch easier for us to deal with a traffic offender and have WAY more powers when it comes to traffic and most traffic offenders are punished way more severley than crime offenders.

It's little surprise that most members would prefer to spend 5-10 minutes writing out 2/3 penalty notices to someone and issuing $1000+ in fines than spend 5 hours doing paperwork taking person to court and then they get 100 fine instead.

We never have quota's and never will but end of the day everything is shown in stats. Everytime I do traffic car shift and hand out 20+ fines I get good work e-mail from all my bosses.

I process good offender and do search warrants and remand him and take 12 hours to get everything done. I get asked why I couldn't have done it faster as I cost force overtime and its only 1 brief stat at end of day.

You CAN get your car crushed in the uk if you have no tax insurance or mot

Or have it seized under section 59 basically any thing the copper sees as being "asbo" useing a motor car that course alarm harassment or distress.

No three strikes your out!!

Just 14 days to pay the release fee plus holding fees charged per day