SAU Community

Should I Buy An Imported R35?

diggo

Hey guys, I just signed up to the forum!

I'm in the market for a new car, and had my heart set on a C63 AMG, but now I am taking interest in the new GT-R.

This week I found a 2008 GT-R with 3,000kms for $130k.. but it has been imported from Japan.

The price seems too good to pass up, but I'd like to know the disadvantages of buying an import first. Is it true that there will be no warranty? Anything else I should be wary of?

The car has been cobb tuned, upgraded ECU and exhaust. Is $130k reasonable, or should I avoid the risk?

there are a few disadvantages. the JDM models still have some menu items and dash buttons etc in japanese. it's not a real problem though but can be a minor annoyance.

yes there is 100% no warranty if you buy a JDM car.

if you think the price saving is significant over an ADM car then personally I don't have any problem with owning a JDM. I have owned one (and imported 3) and it didn't keep me awake at night.

you just need to decide how important things like factory warranty are to you. a good condition used JDM car at the right price is still a good buy I think. given the small differences though it should definitely be slightly cheaper than a comparable ADM model.

they are a fantastic car. enjoy. ;)

I have owned a JDM for over a year now and am very happy with the car.

There isn't too much in Japanese and all of the major buttons are in English. It is mostly Sat Nav buttons in Japanese (that doesn't work here anyway).

I think the decision depends a lot on your personality. I like being able to service my car where I want, put an exhaust on the car, use a different transmission oil etc. without the fear of losing the warranty. I don't have a warranty, but I didn't pay for it!

If you are going to track an ADM car often, you will need to take the car in for pre track and post track inspections and change the fluids with Nissan (expensive) items to maintain your warranty with respect to those parts.

Bear in mind that if something does break on a JDM, it may be expensive and time consuming to repair. However, there is some excellent after market support for the R35 in Australia now.

I would recommend that you talk to some of the workshops who look after R35s to see if you are comfortable owning a car tha Nissan may refuse to support or service.

Edited by 70RTY

Hey guys, I just signed up to the forum!

I'm in the market for a new car, and had my heart set on a C63 AMG, but now I am taking interest in the new GT-R.

This week I found a 2008 GT-R with 3,000kms for $130k.. but it has been imported from Japan.

The price seems too good to pass up, but I'd like to know the disadvantages of buying an import first. Is it true that there will be no warranty? Anything else I should be wary of?

The car has been cobb tuned, upgraded ECU and exhaust. Is $130k reasonable, or should I avoid the risk?

No need for a $130k import...you can get a low km Aus delivered car for $130k. The guys who have theirs advertised for $140k+ will die with them.

$125-$130k is where it is at if they want to sell.

Kev

Thanks for your help fellas :D

Ok so the sat nav and Japanese buttons are fairly minor issues, which won't bother me at all. Not having a warranty does worry me a bit, but I guess I have to weigh up whether it's worth paying $10k/20k?? for an ADM with warranty.

What are the potential major problems going to set me back? I'm guessing that parts for Nissan will be a lot less than the Merc?

Speedah, virtually every GTR in Australia is asking for over $140k. Show me where I can get one in your quoted price bracket and I'll be there ;)

Thanks for your help fellas :D

Ok so the sat nav and Japanese buttons are fairly minor issues, which won't bother me at all. Not having a warranty does worry me a bit, but I guess I have to weigh up whether it's worth paying $10k/20k?? for an ADM with warranty.

What are the potential major problems going to set me back? I'm guessing that parts for Nissan will be a lot less than the Merc?

Speedah, virtually every GTR in Australia is asking for over $140k. Show me where I can get one in your quoted price bracket and I'll be there ;)

correct...and they have been for sale for 6 months + (2009 models). Offer these guys $130 and Im sure you will get one.

7ORTY, I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts yet. If you don't mind me asking here, how much did you pay for your JDM last year? And have you had any problems with the car yet (costly repairs etc)? Is it an 08 model?

I won't be tracking the car btw.

correct...and they have been for sale for 6 months + (2009 models). Offer these guys $130 and Im sure you will get one.

Oh ok, I just thought it's being a little ambitious. There is one in my state (NSW) for $140 atm.. but like you said, it has been there for almost a year now. I just thought it was dodgy, because there have been a lot more come and go between then (that were listed for a lot more than $140).

I sold mine recently for $130K. Its basically where it is at now for an 09 car - if not lower.

I also know a couple that sold for under $120 for an AUD one. All with less than 20,000kms.

So I personally wouldn't be paying more than $100K for a JDM one now.

ADM 09's are going for well under $140k and as Snowman said I have also seen ADM R35's going for the $120k mark aswell and the odd closer to $100k for imports. If you could find an import $20k cheaper or more than an equivalent ADM then i'd grab the Import. If not then grab a used ADM.

The used car market for R35's have had the ass raped out of them to the extent that imports are not really a cost effective venture anymore... all because of the Luxury car tax and the fact that people are not paying the money for used R35's.

I'm looking for an R35 as a daily, I haven't done much research, but it doesn't look like there is a big enough saving to import it myself with my Raws Mate, I don't think the new car price is justified as the prices around the world are an easy $50-$90k cheaper depending on the country (new R35 in UK costs $105k AUD onroad!!!! http://www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/sports-cars/gt-r ),

and the fact that a used ADM is such a big saving on new and isn't much more expensive than an import makes an ADM most probably the way to go.

It all depends on the price and individual cars you are comparing them too, also the ADM's are a year younger and if you expect to keep the car for 15years (which i doubt you will but is possible) an adm will be worth much more then...

Basically you can justify it anyway you like, but this is my thought process, i'm still not decided and i'm only expecting to keep the car for a year or two before I get sick of it and get a new daily.

Or take the plunge and get a 458 Italia for an extra $500k ontop of the price of a used R35, awesome car to drive, not really a daily though and not really value for money :)

I think 70RTY summed it up pretty well. decide if warranty is important to you. if it's not so important you would want to be saving about $8-$10K over a comparable ADM car with warranty. so if a good used ADM is around $130K these days I would be looking for a good used JDM around the $120K mark give or take a little.

Performance wise there is nothing between them the real big difference is warranty and the value of the warranty is highly debatable....

If it were me I'd look at the cars available on the market, both ADM and JDM and pick the car with the best cost vs condition/spec compromise whether it be JDM or ADM.

Ok, so i should be offering the guy $115-$120 max. If he takes it, it's gotta be a pretty good deal considering the car only has 3,000kms on it. (Seems a bit strange being an 08 model though)

Kujotk, I will only be keeping the car for 2-3 years. I'd say it will be worth around $60 or $70k by then. I can handle that.

I've just been thinking though, would it be possible to get an aftermarket warranty for it? I'd be prepared to pay up to $10k for a 3 year warranty.. no more than that, because it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Only 3,000km on a '08 JDM. Sounds extremely sus to me. Also what about the history of the thing. You mentioned it had a cobb and ecu retune which means alot more grunt and hence more stress on the expensive bits. What condition are they in? Has it been flogged on the track? Remember no warranty so you don't want any nasty surprises.

IMO either have it checked out thoroughly or pay a few extra bucks (in the scheme of things) and get an ADM.

In any case ... good luck.

Only 3,000km on a '08 JDM. Sounds extremely sus to me. Also what about the history of the thing. You mentioned it had a cobb and ecu retune which means alot more grunt and hence more stress on the expensive bits. What condition are they in? Has it been flogged on the track? Remember no warranty so you don't want any nasty surprises.

IMO either have it checked out thoroughly or pay a few extra bucks (in the scheme of things) and get an ADM.

In any case ... good luck.

Yeah I have a suspicion it's been flogged on the track. I haven't seen it in person yet because the dealer had it at another shop getting detailed. I'd definitely get an inspection on it before I buy it though.

Btw the car is at "autostyle prestige and performance", they had a few r33's and r34's.. would like to know if anyone on this forum bought one from there.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/search/ve...p;nr=D_14661287

I will only be keeping the car for 2-3 years. I'd say it will be worth around $60 or $70k by then. I can handle that.

put me down then as the buyer in 3yrs time !!!!

Id pay $60-$70k in 2013 for a r35!

:P

keep it in mind . . . . . :P

Yeah I have a suspicion it's been flogged on the track. I haven't seen it in person yet because the dealer had it at another shop getting detailed. I'd definitely get an inspection on it before I buy it though.

Btw the car is at "autostyle prestige and performance", they had a few r33's and r34's.. would like to know if anyone on this forum bought one from there.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/search/ve...p;nr=D_14661287

unfortunately we can't have people posting negative experiences about businesses on this forum. purely because it opens our forum owner (a private citizen) to being sued for libel.

Having said that as with any car you need to draw your own conclusions about the condition and history of the car. and definitely get it independently inspected by someone who knows R35 GTRs.

There is one thing you can be pretty sure of. being at any car dealer it would have been bought quite cheaply from a desperate to sell owner and then had a very decent mark-up added. Personally I would be looking to buy one privately you will most definitely save money that way.