SAU Community

Looking At Importing An R33 S2 Gtst

juzz88

Get him to get a report from stateroads, + rwc, and if all's good, you fly up and grab the car, can be done in like what? 48hours?

That's time that I don't have at the moment. Like I said, Tuesday is my only day off and is when I do the bulk of my homework. Driving down to Frankston and back to look at this car took up half my day as it was and I'm still doing hw now. Every other day I have work, uni or both. Don't have time to be going interstate to pick up a car and drive it home. In November I will, but in the mean time I don't see the harm in looking at importing. If I find something, I find something. If I don't, I don't.

Why is everyone on this forum so anti-importing R33s? Don't give me this "buyers market" bullshit. From the two 33s I've seen, there is a reason they are all going for 10-12k. And they aren't as common as people make them out to be. At least not in my area anyway.

this thread provides the lols

Thank you for your input.

That's time that I don't have at the moment. Like I said, Tuesday is my only day off and is when I do the bulk of my homework. Driving down to Frankston and back to look at this car took up half my day as it was and I'm still doing hw now. Every other day I have work, uni or both. Don't have time to be going interstate to pick up a car and drive it home. In November I will, but in the mean time I don't see the harm in looking at importing. If I find something, I find something. If I don't, I don't.

Why is everyone on this forum so anti-importing R33s? Don't give me this "buyers market" bullshit. From the two 33s I've seen, there is a reason they are all going for 10-12k. And they aren't as common as people make them out to be. At least not in my area anyway.

Thank you for your input.

you've looked at 2 cars out of about 200+ for sale in melb. i hope what ever degree your doing it relates more to arts than intelligence cos you aint gotta a clue son.

go import a car and have the most over priced r33 in the country. :)

i have work + uni too

i'm doing an engineering degree, so my life isn't exactly slack either, but you can always take some time off school, won't kill you to do that.

+1 exact same situation.

I never said for you to fly around the country looking at them all and paying mechanics. Go through carsales and pick say 10 that are in your price range, look good in the pictures and seem to be legit. Call them - hell a phone call won't kill you - and ask some decent questions regarding paint, accident history, servicing, more high res photos etc. If you have done enough research you know what to look out for and will be able to narrow down that 10 to say 2.

I looked at a couple in Townsville when I first started and they were all shit, I then started doing what I just told you. I narrowed it down to two in Brisbane which were both exactly what I wanted and I was hell picky with very exact specifications (immaculate white stock standard Series II GTST, non sunroof with ABS under $20,000 with 50,000-80,000km and first or second owner in Aus). In essence I wanted the best condition series II with those specs in QLD that I could find. I flew down and went to look at the first one which was a fresh import and I had spoken to the guy a lot on the phone and the car was exactly how it was described. Took it for a test drive for quite a while, talked to him a lot about it and couldn't fault the car in any way so I bought it straight up and drove it back.

Honestly I just feel like you are doing something wrong. Importing one of these cars is just silly, maybe back in the day fair enough, but nowadays I just don't see the point.

Edited by PM-R33

Yeah I'm waiting for that guy with the white 33 to get back to me. It looks really clean from the pics and already has a high flow. I'm gonna go look at it without an inspection first, and if it's as clean as it looks from the pics then I will get the inspection done. I've learned that pics can be very deceiving.

If the car is clean, I'll get it looked at and pick it up if all goes well.

I already have planned what I wanna do to it! lol

• 2 weeks later...

there are alot around....but from my experience not too many good ones...but same will go for importing. as the others have said above, you'll be hard pressed finding a good one in japan too. at least here you can go look at it without flying to japan, or hoping the importer isnt lieing.

and as others have said you cant compliance a car like you want straight from japan...so the money you will need to get it all removed and put back on to get it complianced is not worth it.

look local. take your time. do it on holidays if your too busy (importing will take alot of time and work aswell). and dont just buy anything.

• 1 month later...

be patient, i bought a beautiful gtst 40th anniversary edition stock as a rock, for a lot cheaper than 15k....yes its stock...but personally i see that as a value adder. and yes i still go to uni and work too.

Edited by boosted_andy

^^^thumbs up to this guy :P at least then you know it hasnt had ridiculous amounts of boost, power and all that wear and tear that goes with it. you get to do it yourself later. which is a whole lotta fun

which adds up and gets expensive real quickly. =D

• 2 weeks later...