SAU Community

V35 Auto Transmission, How Good Is It?

HI guys, im looking at buying a v35 and i just wanna know how good is the semi automatic function, i got a mate with a stagea that has the semi auto with the button shift on the steering wheel, but its pretty crap if you ask me, when you rev the car hard and try and shift, it takes forever to shift it just seems lazy, it will also not let you shift down if your revs are too high, which would ruin it a bit in my opinion. but thats the stagea, i want to know how the v35 is and please only comment if you own a v35, not pretend.

thanx guys

HI guys, im looking at buying a v35 and i just wanna know how good is the semi automatic function, i got a mate with a stagea that has the semi auto with the button shift on the steering wheel, but its pretty crap if you ask me, when you rev the car hard and try and shift, it takes forever to shift it just seems lazy, it will also not let you shift down if your revs are too high, which would ruin it a bit in my opinion. but thats the stagea, i want to know how the v35 is and please only comment if you own a v35, not pretend.

thanx guys

Only works well with a grounding kit. $80 - $150 about

thanx guys

Same transmission. Same delay.

As Paul said, a grounding kit makes a difference but only if it is connected to the trans dipstick bracket.

Also, shift kits are readily available and can be shifted interstate if that is what you want.

Have a look at Wholesale Automatic Transmissions here in Vic. If you send them your valve body, they will kit it and send it back to you for installation. They have told me that it has been used on a rock climber with 473kw without any kind of failure from the transmission... just remember to install a trans cooler as well!

Same transmission. Same delay.

As Paul said, a grounding kit makes a difference but only if it is connected to the trans dipstick bracket.

Also, shift kits are readily available and can be shifted interstate if that is what you want.

Have a look at Wholesale Automatic Transmissions here in Vic. If you send them your valve body, they will kit it and send it back to you for installation. They have told me that it has been used on a rock climber with 473kw without any kind of failure from the transmission... just remember to install a trans cooler as well!

that sux, has any one here done the shift kit on a v35, i've heard about them but do they just reduce slippage? does it help at all with the delay?

that sux, has any one here done the shift kit on a v35, i've heard about them but do they just reduce slippage? does it help at all with the delay?

I think im the only one to build the re5 over here, Kewish automatics did mine. Its handling 300awkw at the moment but I had to ditch the torque converter lockup.

Shifts instantly now but the stock ecu still drops timing between changes which is a good thing at that power...

I think im the only one to build the re5 over here, Kewish automatics did mine. Its handling 300awkw at the moment but I had to ditch the torque converter lockup.

Shifts instantly now but the stock ecu still drops timing between changes which is a good thing at that power...

Just go manual ! If ur buying a V35 then why auto?

Just go manual ! If ur buying a V35 then why auto?

i gotta share it with the wife, for when i take her commodore to tow the race car, and she doesn't drive manual, im trying to find a way around it so i can get the manual!! the only way i see it right now is to put a tow bar on the v35 and use that, that way i can get the manual, cause i don't need the wife's car to tow. but i gotta check the tow rating first before i go making plans.

i gotta share it with the wife, for when i take her commodore to tow the race car, and she doesn't drive manual, im trying to find a way around it so i can get the manual!! the only way i see it right now is to put a tow bar on the v35 and use that, that way i can get the manual, cause i don't need the wife's car to tow. but i gotta check the tow rating first before i go making plans.

Just buy her a bus pass when u take her car, problem solved.

I don't drive manual so I don't know about them.

But I think auto is not that bad either, if not the worse. It goes smooth and can enjoy the car more when cruising around.

Also, if you feel like having abit of fun, all you have to do is step on the pedal. :P

I find the V35 autos are pretty smooth and responsive, more so in tiptronic mode.

Had an automatic Supra and compared to the V, its quite slow by way of when to downshift and overall responsiveness.

However the tiptronic sometimes won't shiftwhenever you want since the ECU probably protects the engine from over revving.

• 1 year later...

the weakest nut on any gearbox is the nut behind the steering wheel. the key is to treat it nice, service it regularly, and dont be a tool.

i personally find the auto shifts much better at 3/4 acceleration than when your foot is to the floor. the ecu tends to override manual mode when youre pushing it

and you only really hear about the CVT8 gearboxes being problematic

Edited by Deep Dish V35

In "D" mode the V35 is the best auto gearbox ive come across. Really smooth and 99% of the time chooses the right gear with little delay. In my opinion its better then the 5 speed in the V36 (in auto mode). But in sport mode the V36 one is better.

The RE4/RE5 gearbox has been around for years (my mates 1988 nissan cefiro has a RE4 box similar to mine only with software change) and is a great box, yeah its not a VW DSG unit but do remember your not driving exactly a small car you are driving a big lazy sedan/coupe/wagon

the weakest nut on any gearbox is the nut behind the steering wheel. the key is to treat it nice, service it regularly, and dont be a tool.

i personally find the auto shifts much better at 3/4 acceleration than when your foot is to the floor. the ecu tends to override manual mode when youre pushing it

and you only really hear about the CVT8 gearboxes being problematic

The problematic part of the CVT is probably the nut behind the steering wheel as well.

The RE4/RE5 gearbox has been around for years (my mates 1988 nissan cefiro has a RE4 box similar to mine only with software change) and is a great box, yeah its not a VW DSG unit but do remember your not driving exactly a small car you are driving a big lazy sedan/coupe/wagon

RE4/RE5 doesn't really define the gearbox type, it really just states that it is an electronic controlled 4 or 5 speed auto box. there were many transmissions that started with RE4, some were good, some weren't, all having signifincant differences. eg. the RE4F02A has the valve body on the top and wasn't known for reliability. the RE4F04A has the valve body on the bottom and was much stronger. the RE4/5 in the V35 is quite different again.. considering it is a RE5R.. (RWD box).

That said, the unit fitted to the V35 seems to be quite good..