SAU Community

Getting A New Skyline - Need Advice

Hi guys,

I hope I am posting in the right section.

Brief History bout me on how noob I am:

I have owned a Toyota Celica 97 Auto for 6 years

Mods done:

Neons

GramLight Wheels 18"

3.5" Exhaust

What I know:

Change engine oil every 5000km's

Car health check once a month

Change tires when threads go flat

I cannot drive a manual :P but I am keen to learn.

Wanting to buy a skyline hopefully by the end of next month the latest (melb - victoria)

I am looking at R32's but it seems automatics aren't that common for these models obviously.

My budget is 15k - Incl all costs as well as car insurance.

R32 - reliable? They are 89s-93s so I am wondering how much it will cost maintaining R32s.

I am also up for r33s and r34s but the r32s somehow seem to grab my attention.

Dealer or used? As I am a real noob with cars I am thinking of getting a skyline from a dealer but getting a r32 auto from a dealer is hard to find as well, i think i saw roughly around 5 online at the moment.

Would anyone suggest me to get a manual r32? how long does it take to learn to drive manual :P ?

Sorry for the blabbering, I am happy for any advice given.

1. Auto Skylines are gay.

2. Get Manual, you will DEFINATELY not regret it.

3. You dont need a 'health' check every month.

4. r32? for 15k? You can literally go buy an R34 GT-T for that.

5. R32's are alot older. I personally reckon they have more problems, i've had 2 33's and they had problems. 0 problems with the 34. My saying is, the older the car, the more problems.

6. Petrol will be a bitch. depending on how much power. expect 350-400km (60L) out of a stockish GTS-Turbo.

7. Go on carsales, whatevers cheaper/cleaner. buy it, make sure you do a mechanical check cos most of em are thrashed.

8. Manual, if you know auto, you'll learn it within a few days, after that is just 'perfecting your manual' but you will be fine after a day or two. you may stall a few times, but eventually realise how easy it is to drive.

5. R32's are alot older. I personally reckon they have more problems, i've had 2 33's and they had problems. 0 problems with the 34. My saying is, the older the car, the more problems.

6. Petrol will be a bitch. depending on how much power. expect 350-400km (60L) out of a stockish GTS-Turbo.

7. Go on carsales, whatevers cheaper/cleaner. buy it, make sure you do a mechanical check cos most of em are thrashed.

8. Manual, if you know auto, you'll learn it within a few days, after that is just 'perfecting your manual' but you will be fine after a day or two. you may stall a few times, but eventually realise how easy it is to drive.

Thanks Richar,

Hmm yeah may have to learn how to drive a manual first before I get one I guess, only reason was cos my gf cant drive a manual too. I guess ill renego with her to get meself a manual.

Not a big fan of turbos...may be one once i get one tho haha.

Highly considering the r34s, they are hot.

Thanks for ur input!

I agree with auto being a mistake. You'll probably want to sell it within 6 months and get a manual.

These cars are a drivers car in terms of feel and performance.

Everyone whose driven my GTS-T immediately is blown away by how tight it is and how much you can feel the car.

With a little suspension work, it's amazing how much control you have.

Choices of Skylines

GTS-T and GTT are single turbo or N/A rear wheel drive.

GT-R are twin turbo and 4 wheel drive and double the insurances premiums too.

Good idea is to get quotes for various models online- no obligations

Once you get a taste you'll want to start to modify.

Remember the GT-R is far more desirable and hence the parts are marginally dearer too. "GT-R factor''

Other differences between the GTS/GTT and the GT-R include:

GT-R has traction control, mechanical diff, better breathing head with solid lifters, bigger brakes, wider wheel track, wider body guards and a few more things I've forgotten.

I'd look at getting a heavily modifed R33 GTS-T.

Still quite cheap and beautiful to drive.

UAS sell some nice examples occasionally.

I agree with auto being a mistake. You'll probably want to sell it within 6 months and get a manual.

These cars are a drivers car in terms of feel and performance.

Everyone whose driven my GTS-T immediately is blown away by how tight it is and how much you can feel the car.

With a little suspension work, it's amazing how much control you have.

Choices of Skylines

GTS-T and GTT are single turbo or N/A rear wheel drive.

GT-R are twin turbo and 4 wheel drive and double the insurances premiums too.

Good idea is to get quotes for various models online- no obligations

Once you get a taste you'll want to start to modify.

Remember the GT-R is far more desirable and hence the parts are marginally dearer too. "GT-R factor''

GT-R has traction control, mechanical diff, better breathing head with solid lifters, bigger brakes, wider wheel track, wider body guards and a few more things I've forgotten.

Thanks Conan,

another great advice.

Probably can't get a gtr cos they are too expensive n way over my budget.

Am now considering getting manual lessons till im comfortable n then buy a gts or gtt.

And yes, people here seem to sell some nice rides lol.

You don't want turbo..?

Thats like saying you want to get laughed at. and the only reason you want a skyline is for 'image'.

Trust me, go turbo, worth every second.

And you don't need to learn manual, you will pick it up straight away when you buy ur car.. (i did anyway..)

Look in Uniquecarsales.com.au and refine the search

Heaps of skylines under $20,000

Nice yellow auto there for 9950, still would go manual though.

Also check UAS - Unique Auto Sports website for cars.

You'll pay a bit more but it will be in good condition.

Also make sure it's registered and doesn't have any defects standing.

Good luck mate.

Edited by conan7772

Hey everyone thanks for all your input. I am now looking online on manual driver instructors to grab a few lessons hopefully before i get a skyline.

I heard the clutch can become a pain during peak times and that is wat most bothered me as i work business hours lol.

Thanks all again. :)

Edit: Anyone know how long it takes to learn to drive a manual confidently? I have been with autos for 6 years. Also, Is it cheaper to run a manual maintenace wise? I knowi ts more economical than driving an auto.

Edited by Baruna

maual is a peice of cake.. all depends on the driver i spose.. once you master taking off in 1st.. it's all downhill from there.. just remember what gear you're in on corners.. don't wanna be too high as you wont move fast..

i got a button clutch.. and it can be painful during peak hours LOL.. lucky i got the daily.. which is auto ahaha... just put it in neutral when you arent moving..

driving manual is second nature after you learn it.. you dont even ntoice changing gears.. and clutching. you just do it.. but then u jump in an auto and u look for the clutch and go WTF? It feels like ur not even driving.. and you wil pick up manual in a day.. easily.. just borrow a friends car and drive away....

9. NO NEONS :)

My budget is 15k - Incl all costs as well as car insurance.

R32 - reliable? They are 89s-93s so I am wondering how much it will cost maintaining R32s.

I'd get a series 2 r33, a 40th anniversary r33 (I like the body kit and gtr wing), and did get an r34 gtt stock for around 15k. I don't regret it at all, but in retrospect there are stockish '94 r33 gtst's for 9k which would have done me just fine. I too love the r32 look, but its a 20 year old car.

+1

Definitely get a manual. In traffic they can be a bit more of a pain but most of the time you don't notice it. But when you get a nice bit of road with no traffic, you sure will notice it and you'll love it. Everyone on here does haha.

Hmm yeah may have to learn how to drive a manual first before I get one I guess, only reason was cos my gf cant drive a manual too. I guess ill renego with her to get meself a manual.

Not a big fan of turbos...may be one once i get one tho haha.

Highly considering the r34s, they are hot.

I love my r34, though being stock is actually a massive pain in the arse. Had to replace coilpacks and upgrade clutch as there's no replacement. There's no tinting and the exhaust is only catback. There's no boost controller or aftermarket ecu, and hasn't been tuned so there's a bit of a flat spot. But all in all, I'm learning fast and it been a good car.

Turbos are actually really fun. You can feel it kicking in, and hear it spooling up. And if you really don't want the surge, set it to 7psi and enjoy the relatively smooth power (just changed mine from 14 to 7 psi, much less explosive, and I'm saving so much of my rear tyres!)

r34 gtt has traction control, optional mechanical or viscous lsd, solid lifters rather than pneumatic, r33 gtr brakes (from memory), fits the r33 gtr clutch as well. The pull type clutch mechanism in the gtr's and r34 gtt is apparently better (?) and the r33 gtr clutch kit fits directly in.

Am now considering getting manual lessons till im comfortable n then buy a gts or gtt.

You'll pick up manual really quickly. It's not something to worry about, esp in cars which have so much feel and power to get you out of trouble. More power means harder to stall (for the same clutch).

Edit: Anyone know how long it takes to learn to drive a manual confidently? I have been with autos for 6 years. Also, Is it cheaper to run a manual maintenace wise? I knowi ts more economical than driving an auto.

You'll pick it up in 20 mins with some good instructions (ie: don't watch rpm, just feel the car start to move forward as you let the clutch out, find the point where the clutch starts to pick up, and just be slow and smooth with your left foot. People always panic and drop the clutch and either stall or burn out.). And you'll be a master in no time, as soon as you've come across a bunch of tricky situations you'll be really confident. It's such a bonus having 6 years driving experience.

driving manual is second nature after you learn it.. you dont even ntoice changing gears.. and clutching. you just do it.. but then u jump in an auto and u look for the clutch and go WTF? It feels like ur not even driving.. and you wil pick up manual in a day.. easily.. just borrow a friends car and drive away....

Whenever I have to stamp on the brakes I hit the enormous brake pedal with my left foot, which was going for the clutch. Makes for some crazy times hahaha

Yeh I see the for sale section :blink: lol....but not the want to buy section..... :P lol

Thanks XD

What's the difference? May as well hunt down what you want rather than waiting for people to make you an offer.

In any case, if you really want just put a wtb post in the for sale section, plenty of people do it.

Glad you're looking into skylines, they're good cars. Great for learning about cars and mods etc, and sau is a good community.