SAU Community

Rb25 Afm's In A Gtr

Ok, heard this crazy idea that you can use twin Rb25 afm's in a GTR and they perform better than the standard GTR units.

Is this right?

Do you have to change anything, or do you just plug them in?

I'm maxing my standard afm's, and its a pain the the butt to put Z32's in as they are physically bigger and you have to splice the wiring. So would be alot easier and cheaper if I could use Rb25 afms.

Cheers

-Michael-

GTR MAF is 65mm

GTST MAF is 80mm

Z32 MAF is 80mm

so you have the same issue if you go for twin GTST AFM's or twin Z32's

both need 80mm adapters to make them fit. apparently you can stretch the stock rubber piping, but dont know how reliable/safe/resonable this is

you will have to change wiring and plugs no matter what AFMs you go for (Z32 or GTST) the only difference is GTST AFM' will be cheaper to buy

you should go for Nismo GTR AFM's instead

these are 65mm and flow as much as Z32s and give better resolution as they are in narrow 65mm shell's

the nismo GTR AFM's are direct fit to your std plugs and intake piping etc and you need an ECU to support it (same applies to twin Z32s or twin GTSTs as well)

Green badged piece(series 1 R33) 25's use same plug as RB26, and yes I made mine stretch over the stock rubber without too much drama, the rubber is quite soft. They're overall physically a bit bigger and I still had to use an extra piece of 3'' bend to clear the power steering res. As mentioned the advantage of the 25's is the range of resolution for tuning- the stock one's (RB26) run out of resolution around the 300rwkw mark. If you're not making more than this I wouldn't imagine there's much point going to the effort as you'll also need to retune for the different afm's.

I think the nismo option is a good one as they'll fit stock with enough resolution for at least 400rwkw- it's a fairly costly option but you'd have brand new afm's which is a plus.

Ok, heard this crazy idea that you can use twin Rb25 afm's in a GTR and they perform better than the standard GTR units.

Is this right?

Do you have to change anything, or do you just plug them in?

I'm maxing my standard afm's, and its a pain the the butt to put Z32's in as they are physically bigger and you have to splice the wiring. So would be alot easier and cheaper if I could use Rb25 afms.

Cheers

-Michael-

So use Nismo AFM's.

Basically a Z32 body in a factory shell.

Bolts upto stock piping, good for over 400rwkw - what more do you want?

If you say you wanna use 2nd hand AFM's to save money - sell the GTR now.

rb20 or rb25 series 1 afm are the same plug and wiring as the rb26 afms... they're just bigger and higher resolution. They're good for about 200kw each, so if your running under 400rwkw your golden. Plus they're cheap!

cheers

Justin

I was contemplating this in my GTR a while ago, but I was told by my tuner that the Green AFM's would more than likely be just as old as my stock ones, and being second hand the accuracy of the two of them could vary. Given that you need 2 in a GTR one could be reading higher than the other and make it difficult to tune.

So I just bit the bullet and paid $900 for new Nismo AFM's and had my GTR tuned with them on, and now I have new AFM's which should last a long time!

I remember reading that one of the tuners? Said that most problems with tuning are caused by faulty or old AFM's and coil packs. this is why i went for new items.

Agreed - 2nd hand AFM's are just as old, and just as much of a pain in the a$$ to sort out.

$900? Get onto perfectrun - mine were about 750-800 delivered.

But then I've not checked the exchange rate lately so they might be a bit more expensive ATM :laugh:

Agreed - 2nd hand AFM's are just as old, and just as much of a pain in the a$$ to sort out.

$900? Get onto perfectrun - mine were about 750-800 delivered.

But then I've not checked the exchange rate lately so they might be a bit more expensive ATM :P

yeah I did get them from perfect run, they were 66,600 yen = 866.85 AUD + 46.86 AUD postage = 913.71 AUD

they were still the cheapest I could find at the time.

its not cheap, but nothing Nismo branded is!

and the best part was I didnt have to change anything to fit it. just needed a retune of the Nistune ECU and that's it.

if you were to go for new z32's and some bolt on kit with pods (apexi for example) the cost would be almost the same as just the Nismo AFM's.