SAU Community

R32 Gts4 - Restoration/rebuild

I'll take you up on that. I figure it weighs easily what a GM box weighs if not more. engine I already know ill be heavy.

I have the radiator/AC out and I'm dropping as much weight as I can off the thing so its easier to remove.

ok picked this up today.

post-2209-1287562515_thumb.jpg

its a new radiator overflow bottle. there is a trap when buying these things: you can buy the bottle/hose, you DO NOT get the yellow cap. that cap costs $10 extra! bottle cost is $170.

I'm on trade with the dealer. thats not my price.

some things on this car are cheap some are not. the electronics and ABS pump are not cheap.

the washer bottle is roughly the same cost. I'm replacing that as well.

there is not a cheap way out of restoring a car. yes you can toss a new engine in one but to fully rebuild one costs money and a LOT of time.

those asking for part numbers - by all means. if its 32 related I have probably looked it up and put it in my book.

for those with a Sunroof in a 32 - have fun! I'm about to order a new glass panel for mine. at a retail cost of $1K the thing had better come with revised seals. thats the reason I'm replacing it.

the seals on mine are well beyond their use by date and the frame on the glass has rust spots. the main unit itself is fine. needs a DAMN good clean and grease but it works.

sunroof = maintainence. thats the short of it. repairing one takes patience and $$ (lots of it!!)

Reading this, I'm glad mine didn't have the roof. However you'll have a nice roof to enjoy when it's done. Does the sunroof clash with your deck height? Back to your earlier thread are you going to leave the body GTS4 narrow? You are going for decent brakes, which will lead to decent sized wheels and rubber. By the way we've spoken on project speed, I've always preferred to take a little time. For me taking time helps, getting it right, learning, and reflecting on where I want it to end up.

Edited by WHITE gtt

yep the stock rear guards stay. I have located a set of 33 GTR wheels that I need to see the owner about.

been told (and shown) that they fit but I'm not sure what has been done to do so.

sunroof - I fit in the car fine and I like the idea of having it. only thing is that you have to keep them clean and greased. somthing that this one did not get - hence the hefty repair bill.

I spent a bit more time on it after the prevoius post and determined there is something up with the motor as well. I have priced a new motor and whilst its not as bad as the glass its still not cheap. I'm going to go digging as the 'motor' side of it looks a LOT like a nissan window motor with a worm drive. if I can find the correct motor I'm going to attempt to rebuild the thing.

spent 45 minutes tonight with WD40/thinners. 6 rags later I have a clean sunroof mechanism. now to regrease it and get the motor serviced. found a place in northgate that does window motors so thats where I'm heading next.

need someone with a R33 that has a sunroof.( I need your chassis number) I'm looking for a part.

3 more rags tonight. its clean now.

also:

(this is FYI )

91210-04U10 - $1k - no longer in production

91210-04U11 - $1200 - only just in production -I bought this one and I'm told I got the last one in japan.

these are the roof glass panel numbers.the second one is for 90-93 2 door cars.

Sunroof is FIXED!

for those in brissy with electric motor related issues - Pow Win - banyo. handed them a quite tired motor about 3-4 days back they handed me a rebuilt one that has NO issue opening/closing the roof. I'm happy with that and the fact I did not have to for out $580 for a new unit. repair was $80 in my case.

most of the rubber stops on it were perished - I used vac hose on a few spots and that made up perfect stops for the rear of the glass.

only thing left to do with it now is to resync the motor with the roof mech so it does the open/close thing and I can pop the roof up/down.

if you present them with a motor they are a lot happier to work on it than if they have to pull the car apart themselves. when I initially called and asked if they worked on sunroof motors they immediately asked what it was in. when I said I was dong a resto and the roof was out and being cleaned I heard a sigh of relief on their end.

top guys after I had a 20 min chat with them and worked out that they can do anything with a dead electric motor given time they definitely get my vote.

spent 45 minutes tonight pulling what was left of an Apexi exhaust off the car. this when straight to the scrap metal bin. the muffler has a rear hanger torn off and it looks like the front of it smacked a curb at some point.

the cat in the middle was a hollowed chamber so I ditched that as well.

in all I pulled the lot from turbo back and deemed it scrap metal. My steel guys are going to like me for a bit whilst I toss out what is not needed or repairable on this car.

I'll do a simple but effective LEGAL exhaust when I get to it. the idea of a cannon that I can stock my foot in does not really appeal to me.