SAU Community

Help Wanted On Trip To Japan

old dude

Hi all

Need a heap of help on our next holiday so asking all who have been or who are living there even though it's not until this time next

year and have traveled to Singapore, Malaysia & china i have had all that covered as my wife is Chinese and we have lived in Singapore

we have friends all all three places. Japan no idea no friends and don't speak there lingo are plan is to go to Singapore for the F1's again

but the wife wants to go somewhere we haven't been i said yeah no problems but I'm going to Singapore for the F'1s she said what about

Japan i go sweet as we can stop over in Singapore for the Gp then go to Japan the Monday after the race i get the nod (beautiful) 2weeks

after its in Japan (Shit hot) everyones a winner.

Now i need help on everything the F1's at Suzuka so I'm guessing Osaka the city to land at rather than Tokyo if wrong let me know also i

here i need to buy weekly Bullet train pass's and thats gotta be done here yes? also is it right the J R bullet doesn't get me to Suzuka but

the E/W does what other transport is the way to go?? hotels to stay as our 9yr old daughter will be with us.

Need also good places to visit (family sight seeing) there history all that stuff and of coarse kids stuff and shopping, another highly important

thing/s any other racing i can get to see and there big car car park hang outs, and defiantly wheres good to eat and guzzle beer.

Hope to here plenty of advice

Regards to all

Scott :ninja:

I don't have time to answer all your questions but it seems Nagoya is the place to stay if you're seeing the Suzuka F1 race, it's about an hour or so by express train AFAIK, Osaka is another 30mins longer (or thereabouts). Much of a muchness in real terms.

So that being said, can you not land in Nagoya? You mentioned Toyko or Osaka... if it's only those two then yes, land in Osaka (Kansai Airport) and take a train to JR Shin-Osaka station (not JR Osaka) and there you can board the Bullet train to Nagoya. I've only satyed once in Nagoya at a Japanese style Ryokan in the city center, was a great place, very cheap and the staff were excellent. You may want to stay closer to the circuit though for the GP... which I can't make any recommendations sorry.

You could hire a car to go to the circuit but it may be a bit daunting if it's your first time driving in the Japanese country side... I'd want to be pretty handy with the car's navi system in that case. Anyway Suzuka city isn't a big place and getting to the circuit is easy by train from Nagoya station to Shirako Station, then to the circuit by taxi (takes about 15mins), all up assuming you have no problems it'll take about an hour, according to the circuit access guide on the Suzuka Circuit website.

Nagoya is more convenient but check the airline ticket price as when I came here last year it was much cheaper to fly Jetstar to Osaka then Shinkansen to Nagoya, Jetstar didnt (and I am pretty sure still doesnt) fly to Nagoya. Plus you get the experience of riding the Shinkansen which in my opinion is an awesome way of traveling. 50mins Shinkansen from Shin Osaka to Nagoya. There are also cheaper options for getting from Osaka to Nagoya - the Kintetsu line is much cheaper especially if you go to a discount ticket shop. It is much slower though - about 2 hours I believe.

I am pretty sure there is a bus that will take you from Nagoya station to Suzuka when the F1 is on - shouldnt be too expensive - sorry I dont have any details you will have to search the net.

Hey Loach

Thanks heaps mate there is good advice in there for sure and we travel Singapore Airlines wouldn't do it any other way I'm intrigued about Shinkansen? Sin Airlines only i believe land at Osaka and Tokyo, but thats cool as we plan to be there about 10 days either side of the Gp so

will do a ton of sight seeing half out of Osaka b 4 the race weekend then the rest out of Tokyo as long as i get my motor racing fix's the rest is up

to the cook and daughter.

Cheers

Scott.

No worries,

Shinkansen is the bullet train. All the signs in English around stations etc will say Shinkansen, Japanese people rarely if every refer to it as the bullet train even when writing translations in English so it might be easier for you on your trip if you get used to seeing it.

If you are going to be sight seeing in Osaka my personal recommendation above everything else is the Osaka Aquarium - Kaiyukan. It wasnt that long ago that it was arguably the best aquarium in the world. Even though there are better ones now, including Okinawa, it is still an amazing place to visit - try and be there for the whale shark feeding.

Also while in Osaka you might like to visit Shinsaibashi which is a great place to try Osakas famous foods such as Takoyaki and Okonomiyaki. Or if you are really wanting some Western food there is a Shakeys pizza there which has all you can eat for a reasonable price - has Japanese curry rice as well as pizzas. Shinsaibashi also has plenty of clothes shopping and toys/games to keep the missus and kid happy.

I love Nagoya as a place to live but as far as tourist destinations go its pretty average compared to many other places in Japan. You will probably want to check out the Aichi Toyota museum which is a bit of a trek from Nagoya station but from what I hear well worth it - has many MANY cars not only Toyotas and is way better than the Toyota museum in Odaiba (Tokyo). Nagoya castle is worth a look but Osaka castle is much better.

Between Nagoya and Osaka are Kyoto and Nara which are both fantastic for seeing old buildings etc.

Fantastic LOACH thats all being documented buy the cook and all, speaking of castles someone else suggested Himeji Castle some other places mentioned

are around Tokyo as we will half the trip 8 days from Osaka up until the race weekend the after that another 8 days out of Tokyo the are Shibuya, Akihabara something about the Yamanote line that runs in a circle or something to that and plenty of shopping.

Anyways the info you and Amayama is tops and will help ten fold :)

Fantastic LOACH thats all being documented buy the cook and all, speaking of castles someone else suggested Himeji Castle some other places mentioned

are around Tokyo as we will half the trip 8 days from Osaka up until the race weekend the after that another 8 days out of Tokyo the are Shibuya, Akihabara something about the Yamanote line that runs in a circle or something to that and plenty of shopping.

Anyways the info you and Amayama is tops and will help ten fold :)

only problem with himeji castle is its closed for renovation for about 2 years.....

like loach said, theres lots in osaka and kyoto alone. could easy do 5 full on days of sightseeing between the 2. then add nara for another day.

iv done the trip from osaka to nagoya on normal trains before and it wasnt to bad. you only change 2 or 3 times

Cheers Adam87

Yeah i believe i will run out of days with all the info I;m getting may need to add more days to the trip as i don't need to be running around

like a cut cat trying to fit it all in so may just add another week to cove more thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Scott.

1 day through Osaka

Third day Osaka Castle + third day aquarium.

1 day through Nara (original capital)

+ Horyuji temple 607AD

+ Chuguji temple

+ Daibutsuden temple

2 days around Kyoto including Kinkakuji - which is exquisite during autumn which is when you're going. (gold in colour)

+ old Imperial Palace

+ Kiyomizu temple (Buddhist up on the hillside overlooking Kyoto) has 139 pillars (dark brown in colour)

+ Heian temple near town. (bright red in colour)

Just those 4 will do - and you'll be all templed out by then.

Check out thermal areas if you can too, and you can see just how unstable Japan is tectonically.

If you're in Kyoto don't forget Arashiyama and the Sagano bamboo forest if you've had enough temples for the day.

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=ja&q=...00c011e9d769d,0

Take a taxi to the top of the forest and walk down through it. The temperature should drop noticably when you enter and by the time you get to the end you should be ready for some green tea and maccha ice cream... this place is good:

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=ja&q=...2,46.2,,0,-7.88

If you're in Kyoto don't forget Arashiyama and the Sagano bamboo forest if you've had enough temples for the day.

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=ja&q=...00c011e9d769d,0

Take a taxi to the top of the forest and walk down through it. The temperature should drop noticably when you enter and by the time you get to the end you should be ready for some green tea and maccha ice cream... this place is good:

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=ja&q=...2,46.2,,0,-7.88

Green tea and maccha ice cream??? or alternatively you could drag your tongue through a pot hole puddle....same taste I reckon :laugh: only kidding, I just dont like green tea. If it is your thing then go for it :) . If you are in central Japan and want to try sweets try the coffee shop chain called Komeda. They have a dish called Shironawaru - vanilla ice cream on a pancake/danish type thing.

Definitely agree with Amayama about the temperature drop, not only there in Kyoto but anywhere in Japan where you find a temple with greenery you will notice how much cooler it is inside....now I just gotta work out how to convince the local Buddhists that setting up a quarter mile strip in their temple grounds will give them Dali Lama levels of Karma.....

Well I thought some very Japanese style refreshments might go down well with the atmoshpere of Arashiyama... but yes by all means avoid that tea shop if you don't like maccha. :)

Well I thought some very Japanese style refreshments might go down well with the atmoshpere of Arashiyama... but yes by all means avoid that tea shop if you don't like maccha. :)

LOL tried that.

My biggest tip is avoid that complimentary tea everyone gives out. The Japanese seem to love it, I just couldn't stomach it :S

I felt so rude not drinking it, but I felt sick from it ><

Anyone know what it's called? It's like a brown, grainy kinda tea...

Also, we felt like being tourists so we went on a tour. It's VERY touristy, and the yanks that attend give you the shits, but you get some good information from the tour guide. You can always go back and visit the temples etc.

If you go to Nara, visit the Great Shinto Shrine and feed the deer. It was one of the highlights of my trip ^.^ Just be careful, they like to eat your clothes, too.

Also, considering you're on SAU, I would highly recommend finding a cafe that faces the street at watching cars as they go past. Funnily enough, the Corvettes, Porches, GTRs and all those cube cars kept me content when we couldn't be bothered going to a temple etc. :P

If you're in Osaka, go check out that shopping area in Numba... I think it was... M18 on the subway? I really can't remember, all I remember is that there are HEAPS of gaming areas, there's an arcade-game place with this cool game where you sit in a pod and control a robot in a robot-battle.

There's also heaps of shops to browse, and take some yen with you because there's heaps of cool tech gear if you're into it.

If you deviate a little past the Apple store, you can find this little Americanized area which was rather amusing and lively. Some cool clothes and accessories there, and cheap jewelry.

There's a cool manga museum in Kyoto if you're interested in that, heaps of old mangas to read.

Osaka Castle is a massive disappointment, it's nothing but a tourist center on the inside, don't waste your money going inside (can't remember if it cost anything.. probably did). It's nice outside and surrounding, but inside was just bleh, nothing traditional. It has a good view over the city, though.

Remembering my trip makes me want to go back... :)

LOL tried that.

My biggest tip is avoid that complimentary tea everyone gives out. The Japanese seem to love it, I just couldn't stomach it :S

I felt so rude not drinking it, but I felt sick from it ><

Anyone know what it's called? It's like a brown, grainy kinda tea...

Also, we felt like being tourists so we went on a tour. It's VERY touristy, and the yanks that attend give you the shits, but you get some good information from the tour guide. You can always go back and visit the temples etc.

If you go to Nara, visit the Great Shinto Shrine and feed the deer. It was one of the highlights of my trip ^.^ Just be careful, they like to eat your clothes, too.

Also, considering you're on SAU, I would highly recommend finding a cafe that faces the street at watching cars as they go past. Funnily enough, the Corvettes, Porches, GTRs and all those cube cars kept me content when we couldn't be bothered going to a temple etc. :(

If you're in Osaka, go check out that shopping area in Numba... I think it was... M18 on the subway? I really can't remember, all I remember is that there are HEAPS of gaming areas, there's an arcade-game place with this cool game where you sit in a pod and control a robot in a robot-battle.

There's also heaps of shops to browse, and take some yen with you because there's heaps of cool tech gear if you're into it.

If you deviate a little past the Apple store, you can find this little Americanized area which was rather amusing and lively. Some cool clothes and accessories there, and cheap jewelry.

There's a cool manga museum in Kyoto if you're interested in that, heaps of old mangas to read.

Osaka Castle is a massive disappointment, it's nothing but a tourist center on the inside, don't waste your money going inside (can't remember if it cost anything.. probably did). It's nice outside and surrounding, but inside was just bleh, nothing traditional. It has a good view over the city, though.

Remembering my trip makes me want to go back... :huh:

the tea was probably mugicha if it was brown. its barley tea. kind of reminds you of a bug smell. if you dont smell it you can drink it easily.

shopping area is Namba and shinsaibashi.

the americanised place is actually called amemura which means american village...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Tokyo 2 weeks ago it was insane mate but if you don't want to be running around to much then you'll need more than 10 days as thats how long I was there for.

Yamanote Line runs through the main areas of Tokyo like: Shibuya, Harajuku, Ikebukuro, Ginza, Tokyo Central, Akihabara and Ueno...if you want to do any of the sightseeing tours of Tokyo or visiting Mt Fuji you'll need this train to get to Hamatsucho where the tours generally leave from at 9am.

Easiest way to get around on the train system is using a Suica Card comes in handy as a swipe card and can also be used on vending machines for drinks and food as well.

As for accomodation depending on your budget there are places like Dormy Inn which only cost us $360 each for 8 nights or you can go all out at Cerulean Hotel in Shibuya for $500 per night :P

post-59566-0-48074000-1292124325_thumb.jpg

This is the Suica Card

If your looking for entertaining car places you've got: Toyota Megaweb(Odaiba), Toyota Amlux (Ikebukuro), there's Nissan Galleries in Tokyo and then if interested there's R31 House which is a must see for any R31 enthusiast.