SAU Community

Rb20det Sounds Like A Wrx. Runs Like Shit

hey guys

i reset my ecu to try and suss out my bad fuel economy problem yesterday

went for a spin and car ran beautifully. this morning it sounds like a wrx and drives like ass. really hesitant etc

could it be the coils or plugs?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey guys

i reset my ecu to try and suss out my bad fuel economy problem yesterday

went for a spin and car ran beautifully. this morning it sounds like a wrx and drives like ass. really hesitant etc

could it be the coils or plugs?

probably coils mate, but check the easier things first like plugs etc.

okay coils are out

dont have the long tool to get the plugs out though :P

second noob q- how do i tell if my coils are dead?

Look very carefully around the sides of the coils to see if there are any scorch marks or pit holes.

If a couple are like that, it's better to replace the whole set.

You might get a temporary repair or test, by applying a coat of silicone sealant around the outside and wrapping it with electrical (insulation) tape.

alright,i put it all back together and started it. again "brabrabrabrabrabra" but i also noticed a hissing sound

followed it and found out theres a small hole on the plastic hose joint where the throttle body meets the intake pipe

could this be it?>

none of the plugs looked scorched or anything btw

Edited by Mohsen

Sounds like it's not running on 6 cylinders. Coilpacks are actually the easiest for initial diagnosis. Use the following logic to determine which one is problematic...

Have the engine running, one by one pull out each coil pack wiring loom plug...if a cylinder is working it will make the car struggle even more when you pull it's coil pack plug off. If a cylinder is dud then it will make no difference. Once you locate the dud cylinder/s, switch off the engine and switch the coilpacks between a healthy cylinder and a dud...start the engine again and start pulling coilpacks again. If the previously healthy cylinder is now a dud then it was obviously a faulty coilpack, but if dud cylinder is in the same place then you can rule out coilpacks and start looking at plugs, wiring loom, or fuel supply for that particular cylinder.

alright,i put it all back together and started it. again "brabrabrabrabrabra" but i also noticed a hissing sound

followed it and found out theres a small hole on the plastic hose joint where the throttle body meets the intake pipe

could this be it?>

none of the plugs looked scorched or anything btw

yeah this could definitely be the problem. any leaks in the intercooler will cause it to run terrible.

Are the wiring looms stiff/hard/brittle?

i had the same problem with my 32 after my mechanic degreased the motor 2 days later it was like driving a wrx just went through the elimination process with which cylinder it was and found it was a fried coil which i had a spare set anyways

yeah as boz said, go the 6's with the taller top. will make slightly better contact with the coil and being a hotter plug will be less prone to fouling. you aren't running enough boost to bother about 7's.