SAU Community

My Hr31 Buildup

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so i finally got off my arse and set about to fit the flares.

flare - with cable tie that ill need when i do another jump

2012-12-28112921.jpg

As the old adage goes "measure twice, cutonce". works well here.

Also for the rear - you need to cut through the inner guard too and then beatit 'flat' with a hammer and stitch weld/weld it to the outer guard, so makesure you dont cut through both at the same time.

i didnt do this because racecar.

2012-12-28113824.jpg

first line is where the top of the flare will sit, 1in below is the cut line.also be sure to pre drill the bolt holes, otherwise you may dent the guard asit loses a lot of its strength when you remove the lip.

2012-12-28130130.jpg

the scary bit

2012-12-28120224.jpg

all cut up.

2012-12-28120622.jpg

trial fitting

2012-12-28172753.jpg

before and after difference, scuse shitfight shed.

2012-12-28172832.jpg

i am cheating with some spacers here

2012-12-28172826.jpg

flash!

2012-12-30143250.jpg

also gave the front bar a very slack freashen up

just waiting for the new tyres now. the rears (9.5") wil be going from 215 shocked.gif to 265 all round, hopefully will fill out the flares a bit more

2012-12-30143416.jpg

Will drop upto Wakkie to watch your next outing.

The flares look great on Grumblebee !

Also great pic of you on the splitter. (are you loosing wheight?), looking fitter anyway.

Edit: notice three different rims on GB in the pics.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Will drop upto Wakkie to watch your next outing.

The flares look great on Grumblebee !

Also great pic of you on the splitter. (are you loosing wheight?), looking fitter anyway.

Edit: notice three different rims on GB in the pics.

cheers rich, nah im still the same weight :P

im trying to goto a circuit club day at wakie on the 28th.

man those flares look too good !

are they zg flares ?

I got them from Fatz as they were meant to be a31house copy, but they look exactly the same as the S13 universal ones i already had... (i wanted a better fit but they turned out ok - gave the others to a mate)

THey look the same as the ones in this guide http://classicdatsun...lares_inst.html

• 2 weeks later...

Do it, super good quaility and Fatz is a sexy champ to deal with.

Turbo water lines are done, no more perished lines (hopefully)

2013-01-11074429.jpg

And i decided to stop being a girl and bought these...

2013-01-11195935.jpg

Booked in to a Circuit Club day on the 28th, maybe a new PB coming up smiley.gif

• 2 weeks later...

you'll see it again. one day....

So yeah. wet.

I only got 3 sessions, in the morning the track was quite cool and slick till about 12 and then it started raining proper. only managed 1:10.6 which was a little disappointing at first and then i took stock realised that with the track conditions and the car feeling sooo different it wasn't too bad.

The car is going to needs more setup now, i was struggling with mass understeer in some corners but then able to go much faster in others.

one good thing came of yesterday though. I have always had an issue with front brake lock up - to the point of locking up every other corner. i have a bias adjuster which i thought was set to get max rear brakes, this confused me as the car would either lock up the front or get really taily and slide out the rear.

After checking the rotor temps with a borrowed temp thingy, got Front-150 c, Rear-70 c (rears only 10 c hotter than the rear tyres) My mate suggested just turning the other way and low and behold - the bastard stops on a dime now! doesn't lock up the front unless i really step on it (slick track too) turns out i haven't really been using the rears at all...

I felt a bit silly.

the hydro is going to be pissed off too, makes it too hard bleed the brakes properly. i had to double pump after any little straight due to air in the lines.

• 2 months later...

:P

Small update time.

Im going to the next Circuit Club day on the 25th, so I decided to check over the car in the weeks before rather then days as I usually forget things..

Started by adding more front camber, now sitting at -5deg. I need to do the toe as well.
Ive ordered some new sparkies, as I haven’t changed them since 2011 when trying to work out a miss fire at a track day. They still look ok btw.

And when I pulled the old ones out I realised I never gapped them, so they’ve been at 1.2mm rather .8mm. Should help in the upper rev range I think.

Also checked the timing. It was set at 30ish degrees. I had played with it at the same track day (was a boostcut in the end) and never checked it when I got home. Now set to 15deg should also help with power smiley.gif

Next thing is to piss off the hand brake as it makes bleeding hard, I always end up with air in the system.
Mind you, it may also be because I had the rear bias locked off as I found out last outing. Im reaalllly excited to see how the brakes will be now I’ll be using all four wheels to slow down rather than just the fronts. No wonder Im always locking them up…