SAU Community

Packages To Post Office?

*LOACH*

Hi,

does anyone know if it is possible to have packages sent to a post office in Japan (then I can pick them up from the post office). I want to receive a package without the sender knowing my home address. If so do you know what the name of the service is called? I was told kakitome but isn't that just registered mail? There aren't any English speakers at the post offices near me and my Japanese isn't trustworthy enough to communicate this relatively difficult question.

Thanks in advance.

It's called "kyokudome adoresu" 「局留めアドレス」.

Why not just get it sent to your work?

Thanks mate PM sent, please reply if you have time.

Does anyone know how you specify the post office you want it sent to (ie the address or a branch name)? Do I have to visit the post office to set it up first?

Sorry I cant find any info on the net.

Mate why dont you get it Takkyubin to local depot or to your school unless your getting something real dodgey sent.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/

http://www.sagawa-exp.co.jp/english/

Not dodgy at all, its my tax withheld certificate from my previous employer. He, on the other hand, is a very dodgy Ekaiwa owner hence why I don't want him to know my current address or employer. I don't know the details but I beleive he tried to tell the police a gaikokujin teacher was responsible for a stolen bike that was possibly a company bike. Also breaking at least one labour law, you know usual dodgy Eikaiwa stuff.

Thanks for the links. Most appreciated.

Not dodgy at all, its my tax withheld certificate from my previous employer. He, on the other hand, is a very dodgy Ekaiwa owner hence why I don't want him to know my current address or employer. I don't know the details but I beleive he tried to tell the police a gaikokujin teacher was responsible for a stolen bike that was possibly a company bike. Also breaking at least one labour law, you know usual dodgy Eikaiwa stuff.

Thanks for the links. Most appreciated.

If you are registered at your local city office your previous employer will be able to find out your current address without too much trouble anyways........ , so i think you moght be wasting your time.

REALLY??? I thought there would be some sort of privacy law preventing city hall from giving out my address without my consent. That is f%$ked.

unfortunately not.

I sent a letter of demand to an old company politely demanding unpaid wages (as advised by the Tokyo wages / rights department) , this was sent as kaitome.

I explained to the lady in the post office I didnt want to write my address on the form as I didnt want the company to know where I lived, she was fine with this.

2 weeks later i received a kaitome from their lawyer saying that I would not be getting any money blah blah blah, and any further "threats" would result in them trying to get my visa cancelled and i deported, even though they weren't my sponser ...?

As confirmed by the inlaws, if you are registered in your ku / shi - yakusho (at your current address) you are easily findable.

My advice dont update your torokusho ! :) , but this can / will lead to many complications , eg: being put in the back of a police car and driven back to your old address to show them your visa seal... then having to explain to them they need to drive you back to where they picked you up from as thats where you live. haha

cheers

unfortunately not.

I sent a letter of demand to an old company politely demanding unpaid wages (as advised by the Tokyo wages / rights department) , this was sent as kaitome.

I explained to the lady in the post office I didnt want to write my address on the form as I didnt want the company to know where I lived, she was fine with this.

2 weeks later i received a kaitome from their lawyer saying that I would not be getting any money blah blah blah, and any further "threats" would result in them trying to get my visa cancelled and i deported, even though they weren't my sponser ...?

As confirmed by the inlaws, if you are registered in your ku / shi - yakusho (at your current address) you are easily findable.

My advice dont update your torokusho ! :) , but this can / will lead to many complications , eg: being put in the back of a police car and driven back to your old address to show them your visa seal... then having to explain to them they need to drive you back to where they picked you up from as thats where you live. haha

cheers

Yep Loach your easy to find..

Like Akeen said pretty much anyone can go to city hall and find your details and address if they have the right reason.How do you think the Yakuza do so well with their scams.

And privacy laws..ha ha ..not much of that and if your a foreigner you got buckleys chance of any rights whatsoever.

If you dont want to deal with your ex employer , go see a tax accountant and pay him to get it sent to his address.

yeah even less chance of privacy as an foreigner with an up to date alien registration card. leaving it un-updated may have some advantages but I'll give you a negative too.

a mate of mine when first moved to japan stayed with relatives and his alien registration card stated that address. he soon found an apartment and moved out but didn't both updating his registration. one night something bad went down. involved a night club. some fkwit Moroccans who picked a fight with us and when they came off second best they whined to the police. not cool, they 100% started a fight that we had tried to avoid numerous times throughout the evening until we could take no more. and when it went against them they didn't want to play any more and whined to the cops. it was also 3 of them against us 2 unless you count my girlfriend who stood there and watched. sadly for my friend at some point one of them picked his pocket or he dropped it (not likely), they 'kindly' handed it to the police to assist. police went to his registered address only to find he no longer lives there and no forwarding address. so not having another address for him they went and arrested him at his office on the 48th floor of the roppongi hills mori tower in front of all his work colleagues... not good. imagine that scene.

anyway, completely random story but definitely a negative of not updating your alien registration.

Thats f%#&ed man, hope he got it sorted out in the end, although the damage done to his reputation at his workplace would have been impossible to fix. Friends here say the cops can be rude although mostly I have found them to be ok. Except when I tried to use my Aussie licence to get a Japanese one. Apparently the cop looking at my passport couldnt find my re entry stamp into Australia after a four day trip to Hong Kong/Macau some 4 years previously so he wouldnt let me do it. The cop implied to my friend/coworker (a 40 year old housewife) that we were lying to him. Didnt seem to matter to him that I had been allowed into Japan, obtained a work visa and gotten my visa renewed a year later without any problems with the authorities and that the authorities might have a bit more of an idea about whether I was in the country illegally than him. Nor did the copies of my Bachelors degree attained in Australia well after my returning to Australia have any affect. Still trying to get my Japanese licence.

Anyways I found a way to get stuff sent to the post office - it is called kyokudome adoresu. Basically Japans version of Poste restante. Emailed my ex employer to get him to send my tax withheld certificate. No response to my email and I just checked at the post office and he didnt send it.

Edited by *LOACH*

yeah even less chance of privacy as an foreigner with an up to date alien registration card. leaving it un-updated may have some advantages but I'll give you a negative too.

a mate of mine when first moved to japan stayed with relatives and his alien registration card stated that address. he soon found an apartment and moved out but didn't both updating his registration. one night something bad went down. involved a night club. some fkwit Moroccans who picked a fight with us and when they came off second best they whined to the police. not cool, they 100% started a fight that we had tried to avoid numerous times throughout the evening until we could take no more. and when it went against them they didn't want to play any more and whined to the cops. it was also 3 of them against us 2 unless you count my girlfriend who stood there and watched. sadly for my friend at some point one of them picked his pocket or he dropped it (not likely), they 'kindly' handed it to the police to assist. police went to his registered address only to find he no longer lives there and no forwarding address. so not having another address for him they went and arrested him at his office on the 48th floor of the roppongi hills mori tower in front of all his work colleagues... not good. imagine that scene.

anyway, completely random story but definitely a negative of not updating your alien registration.

Richard your biggest mistake was to not knock them out and bail.

As a foreigner in Japan you have absolutely no rights whatsoever and dont believe anyone telling you any different as they are talking out of their arse.

Cops can and will arrest you and throw you in the slammer for up to 21 days without any charges. They can and do beat the crap out of you in jail and you'll probably get a hiding from any Yaks that are locked up with you.

The Japanese law is very loose and bends whatever way they want it to when dealing with gaijins no matter what sort of job they have.

Lots and lots of stories of foreigners going out for a big night and ending up having a 3 week holiday room and meals included.

Mate you were lucky, there's been mutiple cases of the Moroccans whipping out knives and playing slice and dice.

I had a mate who hadnt updated his gaijin card. Tax officers came to his house after tracking him down through his current cars shakken and he owed money on his compulsory health insurance that hadnt paid for a few years and bingo 1 year in the slammer.

Thats f%#&ed man, hope he got it sorted out in the end, although the damage done to his reputation at his workplace would have been impossible to fix. Friends here say the cops can be rude although mostly I have found them to be ok. Except when I tried to use my Aussie licence to get a Japanese one. Apparently the cop looking at my passport couldnt find my re entry stamp into Australia after a four day trip to Hong Kong/Macau some 4 years previously so he wouldnt let me do it. The cop implied to my friend/coworker (a 40 year old housewife) that we were lying to him. Didnt seem to matter to him that I had been allowed into Japan, obtained a work visa and gotten my visa renewed a year later without any problems with the authorities and that the authorities might have a bit more of an idea about whether I was in the country illegally than him. Nor did the copies of my Bachelors degree attained in Australia well after my returning to Australia have any affect. Still trying to get my Japanese licence.

Anyways I found a way to get stuff sent to the post office - it is called kyokudome adoresu. Basically Japans version of Poste restante. Emailed my ex employer to get him to send my tax withheld certificate. No response to my email and I just checked at the post office and he didnt send it.

Loach you dont need to go to the cops for your licence. Dont ever go to see them unless you really really need to ..e.g lost your wallett or to do your parking permit.

If your in a one hick town go do a trip to the big smoke and hit the licence centre. You'll need your need Aussie licence translated which you can get done at JAF..

You'll have to do a bit of paperwork,pay some money, buy some stamps, get your photo taken and Bobs your uncle..one Japanese licence

Heres some links..

http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/switch.htm

http://australia.or.jp/en/consular/driving...ng_in_japan.php

Loach you dont need to go to the cops for your licence. Dont ever go to see them unless you really really need to ..e.g lost your wallett or to do your parking permit.

If your in a one hick town go do a trip to the big smoke and hit the licence centre. You'll need your need Aussie licence translated which you can get done at JAF..

You'll have to do a bit of paperwork,pay some money, buy some stamps, get your photo taken and Bobs your uncle..one Japanese licence

Heres some links..

http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/switch.htm

http://australia.or.jp/en/consular/driving...ng_in_japan.php

In Nagoya the main licence centre (which is huge) is manned by cops. Even for native Japanese to get a renewal they have to see the cops at the authority. My friend rang up prior to us going and we took everything they asked for including the JAF translation (followed your advice from a post a while ago). We got there and had problems with the passport and now they want some paperwork from the NSW RTA to confirm my current Aussie licence. Something about the issue date not being on my card, maybe it is easier for people from other states in Australia, I dunno.

Yeah its a stupid system as some licences from Oz are a straight up swap and others you need the licence issue date and after that theres a good chance you'll be wearing those probationary stickers for a year.

Pretty sure NSW you need confirmation from RTA, mine was Qld and was sweet but had to technically put the P stickers on but somehow they blew off the first day they were on.

Vicco is a straight swap.

Mate go to another branch as you'll have to learn that in Japan every person you see will give you a different answer...

Its like going to immigration for your visa , its who you see on the day. Some are pricks and some are sweet and easy as. I swear there used to be a guy at immigration that combed his hair like Hitler and had the same style moustache, he was a prick and I always seemed to get him and he'd make me jump hoops and submit so much paperwork.

Go to one of the outer areas of Nagoya licence centres and try again. Got a mate lives 30 mins outta Nagoya in an area where heaps of foreign workers who work in the factories live..e.g Filipino's, Brazillians, Indians, Pakistanis, Russians etc , etc and he never has a problem with licence and rego and trust me, he's the last person you want to give licence to. Lots of the foreign car dealers live out there so they are used to dealing with us aliens.

Mate go elsewhere and try again, thats the beauty of Japan theres always somewhere,someone that will say yes.

Richard your biggest mistake was to not knock them out and bail.

that's exactly what we did.... the downside was my mates wallet that was found supposedly 'on the ground'. it was only him who got arrested. we tried to avoid the fight all night (my gf was with me ffs) but these clowns just would not take no for an answer. they got tough when bouncers were nearby made threats (I believe they already had my mates wallet at this point from previous push and shove the bouncers broke up) and in the end when the bouncers were out of site it jumped off and resulted in the biggest one literally getting ko'd (later sued my friend for 2mil yen for facial plastic surgery - having seen his face before the fight I think he was done a favour) and he was only hit with 1 punch mind you after he swung first.... and threatened to find and kill my mate (big talk of course).

The other attacked me and didn't like getting his arse kicked so called in a mate who also got a good serve. we promptly 'took our leave' and bailed but the 'lost' wallet fcked him. and yes one did have a knife.

and yes you do have zero rights. do not get caught doing anything dodgy in japan.

you do not have to be charged to be arrested (probably the biggest difference to here). they can arrest you purely on suspicion and then hold you in jail while the investigate. I forget the Japanese word but it's 'investigation time'.

japanese cops may look funny in their little uniforms with their little wooden sticks and no guns but do not fkc around with them.

the sad thing was these guys 100% started the fight. it started when I went to the bar and one of them approached my gf and tried to pick her up (quite aggressively too), my mate politely said "umm that's my friends girlfriend mate" which got back "what? what? who me? I'm just dancing". my mate politely said "fine, just dance somewhere else it's a big club". the tough man wanted to go on with it and it spiralled from there until bouncers stepped in but they were waiting for us at closing time and unfortunately they got what they were waiting for.

in australia the cops would have figured out what happend and told those wanna be tough guys to accept when you start a fight and it doesn't go the way you want that is called justice. live with it. especially as it was 3 on 2. and they still got canned.

of course this is most probably just me talking big on the net and never really happened. :blink: >looks over shoulder at the nearest koban...

yeah most cops are ok. but when there is any kind of violence etc they change fast. I have had some driving related encounters without problem.

it did all get sorted but yeah the effect on his status was not good nor was the multi million yen bills he had to pay to get out of it. had to pay compo to the 'victim' etc. all bullshit.

Hey Mark do you know the name of the branch where your mate goes? If it isnt to far I will give it a go otherwise I will see if there is one in Gifu. PM or email if you prefer.

Edited by *LOACH*

that's exactly what we did.... the downside was my mates wallet that was found supposedly 'on the ground'. it was only him who got arrested. we tried to avoid the fight all night (my gf was with me ffs) but these clowns just would not take no for an answer. they got tough when bouncers were nearby made threats (I believe they already had my mates wallet at this point from previous push and shove the bouncers broke up) and in the end when the bouncers were out of site it jumped off and resulted in the biggest one literally getting ko'd (later sued my friend for 2mil yen for facial plastic surgery - having seen his face before the fight I think he was done a favour) and he was only hit with 1 punch mind you after he swung first.... and threatened to find and kill my mate (big talk of course).

The other attacked me and didn't like getting his arse kicked so called in a mate who also got a good serve. we promptly 'took our leave' and bailed but the 'lost' wallet fcked him. and yes one did have a knife.

and yes you do have zero rights. do not get caught doing anything dodgy in japan.

you do not have to be charged to be arrested (probably the biggest difference to here). they can arrest you purely on suspicion and then hold you in jail while the investigate. I forget the Japanese word but it's 'investigation time'.

japanese cops may look funny in their little uniforms with their little wooden sticks and no guns but do not fkc around with them.

the sad thing was these guys 100% started the fight. it started when I went to the bar and one of them approached my gf and tried to pick her up (quite aggressively too), my mate politely said "umm that's my friends girlfriend mate" which got back "what? what? who me? I'm just dancing". my mate politely said "fine, just dance somewhere else it's a big club". the tough man wanted to go on with it and it spiralled from there until bouncers stepped in but they were waiting for us at closing time and unfortunately they got what they were waiting for.

in australia the cops would have figured out what happend and told those wanna be tough guys to accept when you start a fight and it doesn't go the way you want that is called justice. live with it. especially as it was 3 on 2. and they still got canned.

of course this is most probably just me talking big on the net and never really happened. :P >looks over shoulder at the nearest koban...

Its pretty funny talking to crew who think they have at least basic civil rights in Japan...err no you dont.

If they want the cops can drag you off to the hospital and force you to have a drug test against your will and the tests are bloody accurate. They'll do sample of your hair, takes awhile but thats ok as you'll have a room at their concrete hotel for 21 days and then you'll get the results and then they'll charge you.

If your lucky you'll cop a big fine, deported and a black mark on your name and not able to enter Japan for 8 years.

You can get away with alot in Jappa but be bloody carefull.

There are alot of foreigners sitting in the clink who didnt think anything bad would happen to them.

About 10 years ago a mate of mine got in a bit of a disagreement with a few yaks which they started and he absolutely flogged them but copped a solid slice from a glass and had to go to hospital. The yaks tracked him down , came to the hospital and tried to kill him. He was put into police custody and was sent back home at his own expense plus a 500,000yen fine for causing trouble e.g compo money. He cant ever go back !!

I could tell you a billion stories like that but maybe I'll write a book.

Hey Mark do you know the name of the branch where your mate goes? If it isnt to far I will give it a go otherwise I will see if there is one in Gifu. PM or email if you prefer.

I'm pretty sure he's around Sakura area.. I've always been maggoted after big night out at his hostess bar in Sakae.

Just know theres a bucket load of very dogy and bloody good fun kyabba's and soaplands around there.

I know it doesnt take us long to get the auctions from there but I've always been hungovers as buggery until I've had a kebab at the auctions.

I've got his address booting around somewhere. I'll have a look and pm you.

I'm pretty sure he's around Sakura area.. I've always been maggoted after big night out at his hostess bar in Sakae.

Just know theres a bucket load of very dogy and bloody good fun kyabba's and soaplands around there.

I know it doesnt take us long to get the auctions from there but I've always been hungovers as buggery until I've had a kebab at the auctions.

I've got his address booting around somewhere. I'll have a look and pm you.

Thanks mate

yes as a foreigner you can get away with some stupid shit in japan but there is a line and cross it and you will hit the nick so fast your feet won't touch the ground. if you are spending any decent time in japan you need to quickly figure out where that line is. on top of that there is a very real problem. if you are ever involved in a situation where it's he said/she said ie your word vs the word of someone else without witnesses or other evidence and that other party is japanese you are in some deep trouble. like a car accident for instance, or a fight or just some kind of misunderstanding. especially if you don't even speak japanese. that in itself is a sign you're a bad man! a japanese bloke could beat you up and then tell the cops you assaulted him without leaving a mark and then punched yourself in the face before the cops arrived and most likely you'd be in serious trouble. it's a funny place.

the moral is obey the law and you will 99% of the time be absolutely fine. you can still get stitched up though so always be on guard in any kind of police situation even if you are 100% innocent. it's no fun spending 2 or 3 weeks in the slammer while the police figure out you've done nothing wrong.