SAU Community

Need Some Advice On My Accident

PIG747

^^^

I've never opted for 3rd Party Insurance either,

...but isn't it useful to be at least covered for TPP on occasions when

* your car might roll down a hill and smash into a mansion

* accidently (at fault) T-bone a Veyron

* chased by a Mustang into a fuel station and cause it to explode?

Then you don't have to die owing money :(

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valid point Terry :(

But if everyone had full insurance it would solve problems like this with just one phone call, rather than having to deal with morons who have no regard for other peoples property.

^^^ True in regard to the fact that...

if (with $13K) I had a choice of owning a 5th gen Prelude with full comp insurance compared to a R34 GT and could barely afford TPP, I'd prefer the former.

^^^ yes Owen, there's a certain dollar value threshhold below which, it's only worth having TPP

...or above which, Comprehensive protects your investment (as well as damage to something else). And then, "Agreed Value" policy (rather than "Market Value").

$4K is about right.

Yeah, it's the fine line. Basically, because all I've invested in my daily car is about $500 so far, if it goes missing from the train station one afternoon, sure it sucks, but ah well. No huge loss.

On the other hand, anything over a certain value (as you agreed, and around the 3.5-4k mark I'd think), you start looking towards comp. I know that TPFT covers up to 5k if it's stolen, but still, if you're not at fault in an accident, you might as well just dump the car somewhere if it's undriveable.

tl;dr: comprehensive sucks but it's worth it. find a good insurer and hope for the best.

Buy a car worth 4k, pay $1, 600 in insurance, no thanks.

cy@

odd that they'd charge that much for a 4k car.

having said that; my first car was insured for $5500 and NRMA wanted $1300 or so (paid $2200 for it), but for the first year of having it, definitely.

was that the best that was avail? sheesh :) ouch.

Was any of the cars towed? Either drivers injured? Assuming you didnt get an infringement from Police other bloke got no chance.Police only issue ticket to driver at fault in case of P4 MVA (Major collisions). Get a copy of Policereport through freedom of information. Attach that along with 2 quotations and letter of demand. What did you insurance company say? It doesnt matter what other driver says it comes down to who got a ticket ie driver at fault. Give Police officer a call and ask him who is at fault.? is it P4 MVA? Hopefully everything works out for you mate...cheers!!

odd that they'd charge that much for a 4k car.

having said that; my first car was insured for $5500 and NRMA wanted $1300 or so (paid $2200 for it), but for the first year of having it, definitely.

was that the best that was avail? sheesh ;) ouch.

I think you'll find the price doesnt vary much between a 2k and 5k car, a big chunk of that is the risk to a third party. Went through a lot of comparisons when my little brother recently got his P's. All you can do is shop around and hope for the best. Some like AAMI will give you your parents no claim bonus if they are with them.

not sure if anyone has said this yet but....

if you call your insurance company any make the claim they will chase his insurance company for the money!!!

this is what i did... got the car fixed and didn't hear anything else...

give that a try...

Well i received 2 letters of demand samples from my insurance company

1 for when the other party isn't insured and 1 for when i'm not at fault

Considering the car and insurance was under then name of his father and he's not covered i will be going for the 1st one

Turboty one of the letters of demand covers that so i will be pursuing that a venue.

I'm just in the process of chasing up quotes for parts

my mates and i though decided to have some fun while i still have the smashed bar on lol

post-16021-1290648434_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help

not sure if anyone has said this yet but....

if you call your insurance company any make the claim they will chase his insurance company for the money!!!

this is what i did... got the car fixed and didn't hear anything else...

give that a try...

They wont because our mate is insured with third party property damage.

If it were full comp then yes.

because he isn't covered (driving his dad's car) just cars said they will chase him up for the money not his insurance

I am confused with this statement.

4adrmn is saying that the other driver is not covered by any insurance as the car is only insured in his fathers name. Therefore he should qualify for his insurance company chasing the other party.

There was also another post in this thread from someone with 3rd party insurance who paid an excess and then had the insurance company chase up the other driver.

I would try the uninsured thing with the insurance company first, and then if no good see if you can pay an excess and get them to chase up the other guy.

Keen to hear the results as I have always been intrigued by 3rd party insurance.

insurance still covers unnamed drivers unless it is specifically excluded - like if its a performance car with a no under 25's stipulation or if you choose to lower your premium by not having young un-named drivers. I'd go for the assumption that he is insured, it will be a lot faster.

I am confused with this statement.

4adrmn is saying that the other driver is not covered by any insurance as the car is only insured in his fathers name. Therefore he should qualify for his insurance company chasing the other party.

There was also another post in this thread from someone with 3rd party insurance who paid an excess and then had the insurance company chase up the other driver.

I would try the uninsured thing with the insurance company first, and then if no good see if you can pay an excess and get them to chase up the other guy.

Keen to hear the results as I have always been intrigued by 3rd party insurance.

The man knows his insurance, I'd pay heed :bunny:

Ok,

If you are insured by a company for Third part property damage only - and you have a not at fault accident...

if the person at fault as full comp - you go through THEIR insurer

If they have third party property also - you need to work it out. some insurers may offer assistance, but general case is no. this makes it difficult to the not at fault person such as our mate here. it will be hard to make the at fault person lodge a claim. Id contact the police and notify them of the accident (if hasnt been done) and get event number.

then you do what is being discussed - letter of demand.

If they have no insurance at all - Im fairly sure this is a standard cover provision in the general insurance contracts act - however if it isnt, it means some companies will have it, some wont, some at different levels of cover/indemnity.

If you were at fault, you pay your XS and YOUR insurer pays for the damage caused by you to the third party BUT not your car.

read the PDS

call the insurer.

Why would an insurer waste their time for a TP property policy when they get nothing out of it? look at it from that side of the coin!

HTH

Great post, but it was suggested that you could pay your excess for your 3rd party cover and then they would chase it up. Therefore, they would get the excess dollars.

What I dont get is how are you supposed to know if the other driver is actually covered by insurance or not?? What if you raise it with your insurance company saying that he doesnt have insurance and then they find out he does, you can just say oops sorry. That way you know for sure and pushing with letters of demand should see him lodge it with his insurance company.

Great post, but it was suggested that you could pay your excess for your 3rd party cover and then they would chase it up. Therefore, they would get the excess dollars.

What I dont get is how are you supposed to know if the other driver is actually covered by insurance or not?? What if you raise it with your insurance company saying that he doesnt have insurance and then they find out he does, you can just say oops sorry. That way you know for sure and pushing with letters of demand should see him lodge it with his insurance company.

Cheers Jeff!

from my dealings it still isnt the case from most insurers. There could be "some" out there that could do that but to my knowledge I dont know! would be good though - but I could see it as a way for a company to lose money and people to get away from full comp cover maybe?

Exactly - sad thing is we dont know until it happens :(

however you do need to provide your insurer with all the correct details...plus when you give them the rego and name and contact details, - they'll ask for who is the other insurer