SAU Community

Someone Reversed Into Me..

cosmokram3r

Hey guys,

Pretty much the story is last saturday a learner driver who was with his mum reversed into me.. We exchanged details and everything but I cant for the life of me find the scrap paper that I wrote all their details down.. I know how stupid!!

I took photos of my car and their car which includes their rego number, so what would be the best way to try contact them to get them to pay up?

I usually have insurance but this time I dont.. They do and they have acknowledged they are at fault.

Whats the best way to go to resolve this situation?

Any suggestions would be great.

Lance.

If you have third party insurance your insurance company can sometimes still help you out with chasing up the other party. Alternatively, contact a solicitor who deals with civil traffic matters and they should be able to contact them for you. The police will not be allowed to divulge you any information based on you having their rego number. Just make sure you make it known that the other party didn't flee the scene of an accident, you merely lost their information.

Don't recommend sitting around and waiting for the other party to call you, however stranger things have happened.

But then im looking at solicitor fees.. The guys mum said they probably wont go through insurance and just pay me out instead so long as I can contact them I'll be sweet I think. I heard you can pay VicRoads to get the information or something?

Yeah it happened on Saturday and they still havent called me so I dont expect they will.

It won't cost much to get a traffic lawyer to do a search for you - especially when you tell him/her that you have 2 wives and 5 kids to support.

Nah, the lawyer is the best bet. "Birds" is totally correct.

And get insurance immediately eh?

But then im looking at solicitor fees.. The guys mum said they probably wont go through insurance and just pay me out instead so long as I can contact them I'll be sweet I think. I heard you can pay VicRoads to get the information or something?

Yeah it happened on Saturday and they still havent called me so I dont expect they will.

Huh? Ask a solicitor how much it will cost then. Just explain that you lost their details. You're not threatening them with legal action or putting together a case, merely obtaining contact information and the best way to do that is through a solicitor on behalf of you. The alternative is quite literally sitting around, waiting for a call that might not come. Police and Vicroads cannot give you information due to the privacy act (might be worth asking the cops if they will call the person on behalf of you though, and giving them your details as I can't see how this would breach the priacy act).

Just use the same solicitor that one of your parents used to write up his/her will.

The solicitor will consider you to be a future client one day - of a more substantial nature.

I used my mother's solicitor a few weeks ago to coach me on how to fill in a Schedule #1 for the NSW Police as I helped organise the R32 GT-R 21st. He wouldn't charge me a cent > Quickly ran across the street to buy him a Jacobs Creek whatever. :blink:

I spoke to a solicitor who advised to go through "Accident Solutions". But I need the details of the registered owner first so straight after work I'll head to the police station with the pictures on my phone of the car and rego and see if I can get their details and long as I can I'll be sweet :blink:

Just use the same solicitor that one of your parents used to write up his/her will.

The solicitor will consider you to be a future client one day - of a more substantial nature.

I used my mother's solicitor a few weeks ago to coach me on how to fill in a Schedule #1 for the NSW Police as I helped organise the R32 GT-R 21st. He wouldn't charge me a cent > Quickly ran across the street to buy him a Jacobs Creek whatever. :blink:

Top idea :devil:

I spoke to a solicitor who advised to go through "Accident Solutions". But I need the details of the registered owner first so straight after work I'll head to the police station with the pictures on my phone of the car and rego and see if I can get their details and long as I can I'll be sweet :cool:

Hmmm I wouldn't hold my breath mate...when I had a DRUNK driver smack into my car, and flee the scene of the accident with a can of bourbon in his hand, I went straight to the local cop station with his rego and my car freshly covered in his paint...cop had the persons details on screen but couldn't give me them because of the privacy act. Shame the privacy act protects the drunk driver and not my property. I think the officer will more likely be able to contact the person on behalf of you and give them your details / tell them to call you than the other way around. Good luck with it in any case.

Thanks Birds. I called up the Narre Warren police station who said to go into the Cranbourne Police Station and they should be able to call them and just give me the phone to speak to them.. So we'll see how that goes because I dont want them to give them my number, they already have it I cant sit and wait!

Thanks Birds. I called up the Narre Warren police station who said to go into the Cranbourne Police Station and they should be able to call them and just give me the phone to speak to them.. So we'll see how that goes because I dont want them to give them my number, they already have it I cant sit and wait!

Yes but they might be waiting on your call, so if they atleast get the message that you lost their details, they might call :P

Sounds like you'll have it taken care of in any case. Just make sure they aren't giving you the handball around. I got bumped back and forth between the police and my insurance company. When you have two bodies confusing you like that it gets really frustrating. I wasn't smart enough at the time, to realise I should have gone to a solicitor (it was over $500 worth of damage).

I think the officer will more likely be able to contact the person on behalf of you and give them your details / tell them to call you than the other way around. Good luck with it in any case.

Yep, this is true. Exactly what I did when someone smacked into me and did a runner.

Man I wish I had Graeme back when I had my smash :P

I think people would respect police so much more for that kind of work, as that is where the real protection is at.

Thanks anyway gdogzgtr but I think I'm all set.

I went to the police station last night and showed them the picture of the car with the license plate.. Then she went inside and came out asking what the address was.. Lucky I had a rough idea i said the street and its number 42 or 46 or something.. The police officer had a look in the system but came back saying there was no contact phone number so I was like sheiiit im screwed but lucky she goes its number 49, so she pretty much gave me the address which was one better :)

I'm not sure if they're allowed to do that lol but maybe because I had a rough idea where it was thats why she gave it, either that or she made a mistake? :P

I don't think I can find the number on white pages because I dont have the name, but I'll either send a letter or just head over there and knock on the door and speak to them, it was a family so I'm sure they'd be willing to co-operate. I'll get a quote ASAP and see if they wanna pay it out or go through insurance :blink:

Sounds like a good idea mate, go there in person. It's better to do that anyway, make it known that you're not just lazing back about it and want it all taken care of quickly. But do get a couple of quotes before you go there lol.

Have you heard of Accident Solutions? http://www.accidentsolutions.com.au/

The solicitor gave me a referral to go through them as it seems they take care of everything and use genuine parts (they have a few workshops around to take it for a quote)

The solicitor said after going to the cops and getting their details, thats when its best to go to Accident Solutions.

Hey guys, I've attached the photos of the damage to the bumper, its gonna need a respray at least but heres the problem.

The way the last guy put on my body kit he covered all the bolts so I dont have access to simply take off the bar, it would need to be cut off or something.. This panel beater I was talking to said he would need to cut off something starting with E. europhane or something?

So if they take it off and it cracks or something hows that gonna work?

I think they said the excess is $1500 so if it costs less they can pay it, if it costs more they'll need to go through insurance.

The panel beater said they can mask the bar and do it with the bar on, but I'm just thinking since its the other persons fault, maybe I could get them to rip off the bar, if it cracks though and we need to get a new one but we've already given a quote to them hows that gonna work? Plus it may need work on the quarter panel etc if thats affected.. I just have a feeling its gonna cost more then its gonna be quoted to be.

post-42730-1290656625_thumb.jpg

post-42730-1290656631_thumb.jpg