SAU Community

Lost Reverse

hi i have done many searches on this topic and seems im the only one i a nissan that has ever lost reverse!! the gear box just will not find reverse it is just like it not there ive been told it could could be the reverse gear fork but the shifter doesnt move across properly cos it feels weird to get into 5th aswel anyone with ideas?? does anyone have or nowhere i could get an exploded view or manual for an r32/r33 gtr gearbox?? and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

You're not the only person. Same thing happened to my friend in her 300zx (auto).

She needed a new gear box... life problems solved.

I mean, judging by the sounds of things, it could be a bracket or something that holds the shifter in place, because it's the entire right-hand side of your gearbox. Buutt... get someone skilled to have a quick squizz because it sounds like it needs a new gearbox to me.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like reverse lock out spring fail.

You've probably noticed when shifting from 5 to 4, it's impossible to hit reverse on the way through. (unless you inadvertantly wobble about while in neutral)

That's the reverse lock out spring.

I've never had to do one so can't help re-the labour involved, but selector balls/springs/detents etc are accessable without removing the box.

Perhaps find out if this guy got sorted.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/329424-trouble-selecting-reverse/page__p__5396690__hl__reverse__fromsearch__1#entry5396690

• 4 months later...

yep spring is proberly the problem.

did mine 5yrs ago.r32gtr.

spring broke, still laying in bottom of box touch wood.

cheap to fix.

passengers side of gbox, 10mm bolt holds lock gate/assembly in place.

smallish assembly teardrop shape.

10mm bolt is the hard bit, very little room need very long spanner, I welded a small ext to make it reach.

and placed a magnet over ring spanner end to help stop bolt falling out of spanner.

A ratchet spanner might be a big help.