SAU Community

Fuel Wats Best

caliibre

yo

just wondering were u all go to get fuel for ur skylines

i got mine a few weeks ago n been going to caltex fillin up wit vortex premium 98 usually around 1.45-155 per litre

is caltex decent or should i switch to another place?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all the same shit... I can't believe people believe the hype surrounding BP fuels, they are no different, the only difference is they charge ~7 cents.litre more...

Personally I always fill up with Vortex, as caltex is my local servo. Never had a problem.

BP98, my cars don't seem to like anything else. Occaisionally I'll put $20 of Peak 98 in if I don't think I'll make it to a BP but it feels a bit doughy and not as responsive.

I know for a fact that there is a difference in the fuels...

they may have the same octane rating but do not confuse yourself thinking they are exactly the same... each company adds their own additives to perform different tasks in their fuel..

BP/Woolies - adds more cleaning agents and power add on's

Sheel/Ampol - add more fuel ecconomy

Peak/Gull - add water :) nah they add thinners to extend the fuel but get worse power and ecconomy...

If you dont believe me then try it yourself in your Mrs. car and you will see it :)

I use BP ultimate.

I know for a fact that there is a difference in the fuels...

they may have the same octane rating but do not confuse yourself thinking they are exactly the same... each company adds their own additives to perform different tasks in their fuel..

BP/Woolies - adds more cleaning agents and power add on's

Sheel/Ampol - add more fuel ecconomy

Peak/Gull - add water :) nah they add thinners to extend the fuel but get worse power and ecconomy...

If you dont believe me then try it yourself in your Mrs. car and you will see it :)

I use BP ultimate.

Ok so how exactly do you know that then, do you work for each of those fuel suppliers or something...

I've used 98 vortex and 98 BP, no difference. I use 98 vortex because its closer to home.

When you switch the BP Ultimate, you will notice a massive change in power and economy. With the first tank of BP Ultimate, your car will develop an extra 200rwhp and you still start pulling more chicks.

Make the switch man, it will change your life instantly.

I don't use BP Ultimate, i'm not that cool nor am i that rich, i just stick to 91 Unleaded.

i have never really "got" the fuel debate myself...

but while we're on the topic - i just use the ipod / iphone app to locate where the cheapest fuel is closest to me... generally doing that saves me about ten cents per litre...

that said - i consistently find that the United station on beaufort street mt lawley is consistently the cheapest 98 by a mile...

...anyone have any views on united??

protip - there is only one fuel refinery in WA.

All 98 octane fuels in WA are listed on their MSDS as having <%1 benzene and >50ppm sulphur (the main variables affecting octane)

coincidence? I think not ;)

The main factor on how the fuel makes your car "feel" is how old the fuel is, and what condition the tank it came from is in. Generally, buying fuel from the servo's with the highest product turnover is the best way to ensure quality.

Ok so how exactly do you know that then, do you work for each of those fuel suppliers or something...

I've used 98 vortex and 98 BP, no difference. I use 98 vortex because its closer to home.

One of my close mates is a chemist and used to work at the refinery in Perth :)

Pretty much all fuel in WA comes from the same point and each company adds their own additives..

Think of it as the 'wynns' octane booster and fuel cleaners being added to the fuel for you, that is basically what they do and if you do long country runs you will notice the small difference in fuel ecconomy..

Hi, all. There have been loads of topics over the years on "what's the best fuel". (The search button is your friend!) The situation has also changed over the years as more 98 octane fuels became available in WA. I have, with undoubted modesty, pontificated on the topic in several threads in that time!! For want of repeating myself, here is a quote from a post I made in a thread in 2008 which deals with most of the relevant matters:

Hi, all. There have been heaps of threads about comparing fuels, so please have a look at them to see more about it. Some facts that may help:

## The BP refinery at Kwinana is the only refinery in WA. So it supplies all fuel to all other retailers. There is a product sharing agreement between the oil companies. The way this works is that the local refinery in whichever part of Australia, where there is not another refinery for a large distance, will supply basic fuel to the other retailers. This saves each of them shipping loads of it across the Nullabor, etc. (The minor independents may buy cargos, i.e. ship-loads, of refined product on the spot market, but I doubt that makes up much, if any, of the market.)

## So BP Kwinana supplies fuel at 91/92 RON and 95 RON (or close to it) to the other retailers. They each add their own ingredients to "make it their own". Hence, Shell Premium (95 octane) that you buy here is pretty much the same as Shell Premium over East.

## BP Ultimate is the only 98 octane fuel in Australia that achieves its octane rating largely through refining. The other fuels, such as Shell Optimax and the Caltex stuff, achieve it by taking a 95 octane refined fuel and bunging in a load of additives (unless things have changed in the last year or so). So the "nice smell" you get from the Caltex stuff is indeed from all of the aromatics and the like.

## Shell Optimax is not available in WA, presumably because the cost of installing the kit to mix the additives and ship the additives is too great. But Caltex have done it .. ... .... ... !!

## There is considerable debate about whether the additives that achieve the octane increase are good, bad or indifferent for your tuned motor.

## If you are driving a Skyline, whether GTST or GTR, you should be very careful running it on 95 octane fuel. The cars are tuned from factory to run on 100 octane fuel in Japan. So if you are doing any hard driving, you will probably be getting some knocking and could get a catastrophic detonation, if you push it hard enough. If your car has been tuned on 95 octane, your tuner should be telling you to change to 98!

## BP are not the only stations that engage in the practice of marking their higher octane/premium pumps as "out of order" the day before they are putting prices up. My wife has experienced this with several Shell stations with their 95 octane premium.

When all is said and done, any 98 octane fuel is likely to be adequate for your car, if it has been tuned for 98 octane fuel. Any differences you might experience between brands are unlikely to be significant or scientifically based. You are as likely to see variations over several months with the same fuel as the crude mix changes or there are minor variations in additives.

Just to show I am subject to human frailties and bias like the rest of you :bunny: - I only buy BP Ultimate. The one time I bought the Caltex stuff, the car appeared not to run as well and I got less from the tank. And my favourite toy when I was about 3 years old was a BP tanker by Matchbox! :bunny:

For your homework, please write 2,000 words on the effect of distance on the operation of the petroleum industry in Australia. :down:

Cheers. :bunny:

The original thread is here: Dec 2008 BP Fuel Thread

I hope this helps. Have a go at a search on "Kwinana" and you will find several fuel threads in the first three pages.

Cheers. :cheers:

Personally I think go with whatever fuel your car was tuned with. If it had BP98 in the tank then go with that, if it had Vortex then go with that. Car will run best using what it is tuned for.

BP98 is the only TRUE 98 octane fuel in Perth, the others use octane boosters to get a 98 octane rating.

personally use bp98 after copping a few bad batches of vortex 98. but having said that i've had 1 bad batch of bp98 aswell (filled up at bp maida vale and had to pull out 5+ degrees of timing to stop it pinging, which is a shitload of timing). as said the most important thing is to find fuel which is fresh, not always easy tho.