SAU Community

Roadworthy With Hole Cut For Fmic?

i didnt know where to post this but its about panels i guess so here we go lol.,

an Auto engineer who visits my work leads me to believe that on an r33 gts-t, whatever series a hole cut for an fmic is legal as long as it does not go through chassis rails or structural support, it is actually the crush point of the car that changes with the adition of the intercooler now sitting a further 4 - 5 inches out in front, from the standard ac condensor/electric fan. technically making the car longer.

This changes where the air bag impact sensor should be placed in order to keep to ADR(just to keep things simple), and hense makes the car unroadworthy.

this sounds fair enough to me as hes the engineer and im the mechanic lol and i can so truth in that.

my question is would a gtr front end conversion, (reo,, guards blah blah) be able to be used in getting engineered on obviously a gts-t import/build plate? or do you simply have to put the impact senser in a position that keeps to front of the car the same distance from it as standard

i am just interested to know as i have seen and spoken to heaps of people that seem to think the hole is the problem, which i doubt it is.

what other ways are there to get around this as this is the opinion of one engineer and im sure opinions will differ

last question is probably a stupid one, if the statement about the cooler is true then all a roadworthy would require is the standard intercooler reinstalled, the hole does not matter, right?

what do you think

They will probably require the hole to have a plate welded over it.. When I got my car they requested reinforcing steel be welded around the hole and was passed.. Suppose it really depends on the place doing the RWC and whether it is legal is different.. Will have to speak to an engineer that can give you a cert. as to what they require to get one..

I was told by a cop that an engineer certificate is not worth the paper its printed on. He said that he can defect a Toyota Yaris that just popped out of the factory. Its kind of BS but most cops probably aren't as uptight as this guy. Then again he could be bluffing and just showing strength.

Honestly, as long as its not hindering the main car structure and reinforcement it should be alright. Its not really gonna affect the car in an impact. The FMIC is aluminium so will probably get crushed anyway lol.

i figured that the intercooler would just get crushed too but apparently its all about the actual length, which i think is really disregarding the safety of the car anyway as like you said if the structure of all the supporting frame and chassis is not touched then its just as safe as factory,

i have heard the exact same thing and have a funny story about defects on brand new cars (well i think its funny),

one of the guys at work had a brand spanking stato (2003 so a lil while ago), was pulled over and was a smart ass to the jacks, in the end they defected it cos its indicators flashed to fast (mind you he reckons this was one week after picking it up) which just shows that no matter what we do or dont do to our cars as performance car enthusiests (not that a stato is "performance") no matter what car, we cant win angry.gif.

when i cut the hole for my intercooler piping i got 1/2 steel rod, used an oxy to give it its shape and welded it on the outside of the engine bay n then painted it to look pretty, it might be overkill with 1/2 steel but it did the job, have been lucky enough so far i have not had to open my bonnet when pulled over but when the time comes im confident that i would get a roadworthy (once i get all the other s*^t out) and hopefully the info my engineer friend gave me has not reached the dude doing the roadworthy lol

can anyone verify about the crush point? i would like to know

Lol that might be overkill man. Seriously all we are cutting out is what, a 3inch diameter hole? If we put rods or other crap and weld it to the chassis there is a chance that again, it will not crumple as designed by Nissan. Seriously they should let off this shit. If you're gonna have a head on collision, it will make a bees dick difference to the outcome. If you have a big one, you're gonna have a big one no matter how small or big or non existant your intercooler and intercooler hole is. If you cut something out or reinforce something it could hinder the crumple point but read on.....

Excuses for more money. They should spend time an effort getting drivers to take driving skill classes to improve driving skills rather than nit pick this shit. People who disagree can kiss my ass, show me any situation where a intercooler install has made an impact on a collision. Sure if you get a CF bonnet, you will be making it alot more dangerous for other drivers but there are things which really don't matter and are kind of a joke. That 3 inch hole is NOT going to mean the difference between life and death. So long you don't damage or hinder the performance of the air bag sensors in cars equipped with them, there should be NO RULE about intercoolers.

Increasing tyre width to gain better traction and grip on the road is a defect. Installing 4 way seatbelt to help secure the driver and passenger to the seat more effectively in an accident is a defect. A big exhaust is a defect, yet I just had a f**king Harley drive past my house deafen the shit out of me thanks to the rules, or lack thereof, on the sound levels of motorbikes.

If something hinders safety directly, harms the environment, like actual f**king harm not by sound, then sure stick us with a fine. But when its just the faggots out there who cry from the sound of a sports car with a large exhaust but for some retarded reason adore the sound from a V8 with straight pipes, you can suck my dick.

Sorry for the rant but it just pisses me off the way shit here works. I like japans laws, 98db up front 94 at back I think it was. Thats a nice sound level without deafening the shit out of everyone.

• Like 1