SAU Community

Lsd - 1.5 Or 2 Way

Checkbuzz

You actually couldn't be more wrong.

Longnose R200 in a HR31 is a 2-way mech locker, just very loose.

Few places and shims later, it's exactly the same as the Nismo item, or better if you customise it up a bit.

WTF... Are you reading the same post mate? or even the next line after the one you have quoted above?

"Viscous LSDs are not the real deal and even when new do not provide the response or locking capabilities of a mechanical LSD, after 100k+km's and a few laps of Sandown the stocker is 100% useless!"

No doubt the R31 diff is a doozy... but the R33 viscous LSD is a POS!

Edited by Checkbuzz

• 8 months later...

2 way - locked under deaccell

1.5 way - partially locked under deaccel

So 2-way & having the rear wheels turn equally going into a corner with it locked up generally will induce understeer.

Once you get over that, it will snap/insta oversteer

How do you deal with the tendency to plow on in corner entry then - I'm referring to driving style - you just got to chuck it about more?

If you aren't drifting etc, IMO 1.5

2 way is fun if you know how to use em, but very demanding.

So you're saying that?

1.5 way = ghey

2.0 way = Charles Bronson?

:rofl2:

Ok so i know sweet F A about diffs and dont profess to but my car has a kaaz 2 way and its rough as guts at low speed cornering on nice smooth concrete it chirps turning & the whole car shudders it is quite unfriendly for a daily drive. I personally havent noticed any difference in how it affects the handling though i must admit in the wet it does feel seriously slippery but i boiled that down to lotsa hp lol! BUT with 386hp on the tar my car doesnt do a great deal of wheel spinning

Never get why ppl complain about 2ways shimmed welded diffs for street i drove on weldy with 300 kw on the street for over a year and no problem if you drive properly its fine besides being abit noiser theres not much difference for everyday.

The Kaaz LSDs are noisey as fark during low speed cornering and put alot of stress on the rear subframe etc.

Some guys claim to quieten them down with LSD friction modifier but that only detracts from the performance of the LSD and is IMO ghey...

Kaaz LSDs are "off road" products designed for racing not daily driving it's as simple as that.

After I did mine I also replaced the diff mounting bushes and installed alloy lock collars on the rear subframe instead of poly pineapples - a vast improvement in rear end shuddering, axle tramp and subframe movement!

I can assure you that if you went back to a standard diff you would notice the difference - bigtime with 386HP!

My Kaaz LSD improved my lap times by over 1 sec @ Sandown simply because I could get more power to the ground earlier on corner exit and therefore reach higher speeds on the straight etc. It is also much easier to control the car in a power over-steer (i.e. drift) situations and in general.

Ok so i know sweet F A about diffs and dont profess to but my car has a kaaz 2 way and its rough as guts at low speed cornering on nice smooth concrete it chirps turning & the whole car shudders it is quite unfriendly for a daily drive. I personally havent noticed any difference in how it affects the handling though i must admit in the wet it does feel seriously slippery but i boiled that down to lotsa hp lol! BUT with 386hp on the tar my car doesnt do a great deal of wheel spinning

The best thing you can do for a KAAZ is to run an 85w140 or similar LS oil. The 80w90 that they come with is just a run in oil and way too thin, creates heaps of noise when the oil warms up a bit.

Also, when going around corners at low speed (daily driving etc.), you can either hold the clutch in so it just coasts around the corner silently, or with clutch out give it plenty of throttle so that the tyres start chirping instead of the diff chattering. It's slipping the clutch around a low speed corner that causes the most chatter because you are power on / power off.

WTF... Are you reading the same post mate? or even the next line after the one you have quoted above?

"Viscous LSDs are not the real deal and even when new do not provide the response or locking capabilities of a mechanical LSD, after 100k+km's and a few laps of Sandown the stocker is 100% useless!"

No doubt the R31 diff is a doozy... but the R33 viscous LSD is a POS!

Is it the A-LSD that you are referring to ?

still running one with a lot of track work and 600+rwhp fine ?

I dunno dude... Do you see the letters "A-LSD" anywhere in any of my posts???

You can probably work out the answer for yourself from here... :blink:

P.S. You should be up for TROLL of the year with this! Nice work!

Is it the A-LSD that you are referring to ?

still running one with a lot of track work and 600+rwhp fine ?

both me and a mate have OS giken 2 ways in our cars...

his.. unknown how long its been in, or when the oil was last changed..

i ordered my diff from otomoto in sydney, had to be shipped out from japan,

i am using the genuine oil... 80/250w grade oil , seriously thick!!

my mates one... chatters and makes noise like crazy.. mine is still quiet!

it has started to get a bit noiser now, but that could also be put down to the fact i just added solid metal subframe bushes and diff bushes.

getting use to the diff is easy... first time i drove it after fitting it ,was at a track day at wakefield.. just had to adjust the way i drive.. on the street i dont notice any real difference, coming out of round abouts is a bit more fun under acceleration as it feels alot better.

each to their own..