SAU Community

Lsd - 1.5 Or 2 Way

Checkbuzz

I'm looking at purchasing a Kaaz LSD because they are at pretty good prices currently and I need to get more power to the ground (my stock LSD is single legging it all the time now)

I understand the theory of the differences between how the 1.5 and 2 way configurations work but what does this mean in practise?

My car will only be used on the street (not daily) and track days (grip) and I want to make sure I get the right LSD

Some say 2 way is the only way to go...

Others have told me that 2 way is not good for the street (especially in the wet) and that they induce a heap of under steer and you have to completely change your driving style on the track.

Some experienced (weekend) track racers I have spoken to have gone from 2 way back to 1.5 way...

What are your thoughts and experiences guys? 1.5 or 2 way?

2 way - locked under deaccell

1.5 way - partially locked under deaccel

So 2-way & having the rear wheels turn equally going into a corner with it locked up generally will induce understeer.

Once you get over that, it will snap/insta oversteer

I have a 2-way mech locker in my GTS-R... It's kicked the ass out going DOWNHILL in the went when under braking. It's not cool when the rear end is @ 45 degrees downhill.

If you aren't drifting etc, IMO 1.5

2 way is fun if you know how to use em, but very demanding.

• Like 1

+1 for the 1.5way LSD option - DriftPig or not

My Cusco MZ 1.5 in my 34 sedan performs like you would not believe, although the whole rear end has been set up to accomodate this agressive diff.

2 way I think you would cringe each and every time you full lock at low speed, not to mention how much damage it would do to your OEM bushings LOL!

To offset my agressive diff I had to rip out the subframe, install new cradle bushings, solid diff mounts and the driftworks hicas removal kit, now she is very happy, the odd

pink and clunk at full lock low from the cradle/diff, but she puts down very solid and is sooo predictable, beware of the rain haha it is like driving on the ice!

Go the 1.5!!!!

Mate had a 2way tomei tech trax in his car, to crazy for street.

Now has a 1.5way and loves it, so much more street friendly and driveable. Still kicks tail out at will if throttle prodded lol.

I have a 2-way but only because TRD diffs only come as 2-ways and they're significantly stronger and cheaper than the competition. I had heard horror stories about the 2-way, especially on the street but if you drive normally you don't even know its there.

On the track I have a bit of trouble, I'm still in the habit of releasing the throttle when the car gets a bit out of hand so the rear settles down but with a 2-way it just gets worse! pinch.gif

Re-shimming the stock diff is just an exercise in turd polishing. Anyone that knows anything about diffs will confirm that for you.

Viscous LSDs are not the real deal and even when new do not provide the response or locking capabilities of a mechanical LSD, after 100k+km's and a few laps of Sandown the stocker is 100% useless!

The car is currently fairly stock (195rwkw) but won't be staying like that for long... unlike most I am taking the sensible approach and doing the cooling, clutch, diff, brakes and suspension before gunning for more kw. I have a Nistune Z32 ECU and AFM waiting to be installed and are currently looking at turbo and injector upgrades.

I have a bit a track experience with this car and my biggest frustration is not being able to get the power to the ground through my single-legging diff!

Even then I am still smoking M3's, Lotus Elise etc as well as many professionally prep'ed race cars !

I do appreciate all your comments and discussion guys - keep 'em coming!

Edited by Checkbuzz

That's cause you drive like a pussy Nick? :) hahaha

nah not my driving... that shit only happens in old shoeboxes, not state of the art 33's :whistling: lol

I like it when the rear locks a bit when you jump off the throttle, helps to get the nose turned in... lift off oversteer is good... when you go in too hot with that heavy RB in the nose it will want to push wide, jump off the gas with a 2 way and it will slide the ass a little and help you kill the understeer... then jump back on the gas and hold the rear out a fraction as you power out :cheers:

dear god you guys are being overly dramatic... I had a Cusco 2 way in my daily driven GTSt and it was fine... never did anything like what happened to Ash

+1

Nismo GT 2way lsd in my Gts-t was daily drive and no issue even in the wet. My old man even drove it alot with no issue

Also Car is alot more easier to control on the track i prefer 2way, even for gripping

I went for the Nismo Pro GT TT 1.5 way from Hi Octane Racing.

Cost was $1620.

Love the predictability after the stock Viscous with 300 rwkw +.

Single spun so hard once almost flipped it.

I can't say from experience but the Nismo is supposed to be the smoothest of them all plus it has initial torque adjustability. Low, Med, High . Factory setting is medium.

Medium was too tight for me, so I had it adjusted down to low.

No difference in immediate lock, just comfortably looser on cornering.

Plus, adding life to the diff.

As it loosens in time, just have it set up a level to restore tightness.

Re-shimming the stock diff is just an exercise in turd polishing. Anyone that knows anything about diffs will confirm that for you.

You actually couldn't be more wrong.

Longnose R200 in a HR31 is a 2-way mech locker, just very loose.

Few places and shims later, it's exactly the same as the Nismo item, or better if you customise it up a bit.

what ever happened to the old skool diff description???? where you had a 50,60,70% lockup diff???? now its all 1, 1.5 or 2 way......... what do they equate to in percentages???

i remember the best was always a 70% lsd, perfect for street and perfect for a bit of track.

also ive been driving with a 2way in both a NA r34 and a rb26 r34, same car just engine replaced, the NA was easier to drive with a 2way cause it had easier torque down low to pull it out of very slow u turn corners, the rb26 with its giant turbo has absolutely no guts below 4.5k rpm, so makes it a bit harder. but on the road ive never had any lockup in the rear when going downhill in the wet, only in the stock 1way one when i had bold as f*k tyres and i shifted down hitting 4k-rpm