SAU Community

Scam?

glaze

Here is an email I got from a guy this morning as I put my GTR up for sale a few days ago. Had a lot of response already, but this guy has an interesting way of buying a car. Obv a track prepped GTR is great for a wife who just had a baby-HAHAHAHA-IDIOT!!!

Mate,thanks for the response,i would have loved to call but due to bad weather our SATphone is currently scrambled please can i know the full condition of the car as am buying it for my wife who just gave birth to a baby boy in my absentia she lives in perth,am a sailor and am currently onboard.

i want to be sure if the car is still in good condition , preferably if i can get more close up picture (engine inclusive), i will not be able to come for inspection now all i really need from you is the exact details of the car.

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day .i will pay with the fastest and safest online payment "PayPal" so i will need you to send me your paypal email address so i can effect the payment,as i have my bank a/c attached to my paypal account. will be sending my shipping company to come and pick it up and make a personal delivery for my wife in WA after have sorted out with the payment.

PS:

In case you don't have a PayPal account,Its reliable fast,secure and easy to use PayPal,all you need to do is to log on to visit www.paypal.com and register with them. When you are done with the registration send me the email used for the registration with PayPal so i can make the payment.Please get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the car to be picked by a pickup agent.Await your response.

Regards,

Robert.

Anyone had this happen to them before, Obviously I wrote back not interested :)

I had my old car up on Carsales before it sold for about 2 months.. Received about 3 of these emails each week. Started getting really annoying when a bit of genuine interest started appearing and you open a new one thinking this could be it finally!

And then it's an email like the one you just got.rant.gif

Edited by eiresgaus

I work for carsales and this problem is happening everyday, anything to do with paypal etc

email private support at carsales and give them the the enquirers email address to have it blacklisted

it doesn't stop them from using another email address of course but its the best option at this stage

yep, scam

offer to pay via paypal

idiots agree and say, "ok!"

you receive a paypal "receipt" in your email, purporting to be confirmation of their transfer to you

they then ask for you to transfer money to western union or something like that for 'shipping' or some random expense

you send money, pull carsales listing thinking it's sold but car never moves, you just blew $1500 or whatever and when you actually check your paypal account, there's no money in there :domokun:

willL: have people ever ACTUALLY sent their cars anywhere? or is just the transfer of $$ they're duped out of?

^no I havent heard of people actually sending their cars to the buyer, but the amount of people who fall for it and send through payments really shocks me.

My mate received one and rang me up asking how to set up a paypal account lol lucky i asked why he wanted to set it up. After i told him it was a scam (which took lots of convincing believe it or not) he didn't reply to them any more

I had the exact same email sent to me when i was selling my Audi.

Completely ignored the "wanting to purchase your vehicle" talk, and told him my uncle was a sailor, and asked him which vessel he served on :P

He got a bit aggressive and kept forcing the "paypal email address" on me, but i just kept replying with stuff like, "My uncles been on and off service for the last 30 years, im sure he would know your name, what vessel do you sail on?"

They just got more pissed off, and never emailed me again.

Twas wonderful fun.

Sailor ay?

When i was selling a bike a month or so ago i got a guy telling me he worked on an oil rig, everything seemed pretty genuine at first apart from the fact that i got not far from the exact same text message twice from two different names and numbers lol

So it was all followed up etc etc and eventually it became simply obvious it was a scam haha

Isnt it sad that there are that many people out there that do this? or maybe more so that it has become normal to us :mad:

yep, scam

offer to pay via paypal

you receive a paypal "receipt" in your email, purporting to be confirmation of their transfer to you

they then ask for you to transfer money to western union or something like that for 'shipping' or some random expense

you send money, pull carsales listing thinking it's sold but car never moves, you just blew $1500 or whatever and when you actually check your paypal account, there's no money in there :domokun:

willL: have people ever ACTUALLY sent their cars anywhere? or is just the transfer of $$ they're duped out of?

A client selling his hilux on carsales had this same scam attempted with him. He strung them along a bit to try and obtain some email header information to workout what servers they are using. I doubt it will pan out though.

My mate received one and rang me up asking how to set up a paypal account lol lucky i asked why he wanted to set it up. After i told him it was a scam (which took lots of convincing believe it or not) he didn't reply to them any more

You're a good mate!

I had the exact same email sent to me when i was selling my Audi.

Completely ignored the "wanting to purchase your vehicle" talk, and told him my uncle was a sailor, and asked him which vessel he served on :P

He got a bit aggressive and kept forcing the "paypal email address" on me, but i just kept replying with stuff like, "My uncles been on and off service for the last 30 years, im sure he would know your name, what vessel do you sail on?"

They just got more pissed off, and never emailed me again.

Twas wonderful fun.

Well played!

Isnt it sad that there are that many people out there that do this? or maybe more so that it has become normal to us :mad:

Yep..."For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and yet forfeit his soul!" Mark 8:36

Im getting scammers... 2 in a week... latest one was the oil rig guy... my response:

Hi John,

Thanks for your email.

WOW!!! You work on an oil rig? So does my dad? Which Oil Rig are you working on at the moment? Maybe you could speak to him if you're on the same one... that would make it so much easier!

Ive always wondered what it would be like working on an oil rig... Dad always comes home and tells me all these amazing stories about them. Are they Dangerous? Is it scary being out there on an Oil Rig?

Can you send me pictures of your oil rig? Im creating a collection of Oil Rig photos that im going to auction off on Ebay to try and make some extra money... I would be willing to go halves with you if you can provide me with some good photos... What are your paypal details so I can transfer the money through to you once the auction has ended?

I was thinking that If my dad and you work on the same rig i could have the car helicoptered out to you so you can see it in person, then if you like it you can just transfer me the money and then have it helicoptered back when you go back onshore?

The other day i was thinking about joining an oil company and go out on a rig, i hope you dont mind me calling it a rig, im not trying to be disrespectful, im just trying to get into the mindframe of a rigger... is that what you guys call yourselves? I think if you called yourselves riggers it would be pretty awesome, everyone would look at you and be like, that guys a rigger, how cool... is it cool working on an oil rig?

Do you guys have your own secret society? Whose the head rigger? Do you know him? Do you guys have secret oil rigs that you use in your time off to make extra money? That would be pretty cool... Can I join the Society?

Please let me know what Paypal details to use as the Auction for the ebay Oil Rig pictures has ended since ive been writing you this email and I want to make sure you get your fair share. It sold for $23.16, so your share would be $11.58.

Back on track, is your courier agent a fellow rigger? Will he be able to teach me a few tricks of the trade before i join up when he comes to pick up the car? Does he have the appropriate paperwork for me to join the Secret Society?

My Paypal details are as follows:

riggersocietywannabe@riggerssecretsocietyshhdonttellanyone.com.au

I look forward to hearing from you!!!

"Rig Master"

P.S do you think anyone would mind that im calling myself "Rig Master"? Its a pretty cool name i think, but i dont want to upset the Society, so if theres any problems let me know please.

Ben

• Like 3