SAU Community

Removing Piece Of Plastic Under Front Window Wipers

AAARGH 33

Hey everybody,

I have just removed my front window wipers ready to be painted atm so while I had them of I thought I might as well paint the faded plastic underneath it but im having trouble getting it of.

Does anyone know how to get it off? and what is holding it on,clips?

Cheers.

Ok so I painted all the wipers and the plastic gloss black and I reckon it turned out pretty darn good.

Position of clips for future reference:

post-74314-0-42865600-1299582221_thumb.jpg

And end result:

post-74314-0-14639600-1299582293_thumb.jpg

post-74314-0-42310200-1299582343_thumb.jpg

post-74314-0-77337200-1299582405_thumb.jpg

post-74314-0-67243200-1299582516_thumb.jpg

Pics don't do it any justice though,looks much better irl and yes yes I know my car desperately needs a wash lol.

borat-high-five.jpg

Edited by AAARGH 33

• 4 weeks later...

How did you remove the wiper arms? Also how did you go about painting them? did you prep them or anything or just spray paint over the existing paint?

Edited by Dani Boi

How did you remove the wiper arms? Also how did you go about painting them? did you prep them or anything or just spray paint over the existing paint?

Yeah what cal said.

There's a plastic cover at the base of the arm,pop them off and it should reveal a 12mm nut.

The driver's side one is pretty easy,once you got the nut off you push down on the joint to relieve the spring tension and it should come off.The passenger side one is a bit harder,once i got the nut off it took me two vice grips to get it off lol.

In terms of prep work i just gave them a quick rub over with 400 grade and got rid of old flaky paint.

Also just a note,when your putting them back on it helps to put a bit of lubricant grease around the boss and inside where the wiper arm slots into it.I used marine grade.

Yeah what cal said.

There's a plastic cover at the base of the arm,pop them off and it should reveal a 12mm nut.

The driver's side one is pretty easy,once you got the nut off you push down on the joint to relieve the spring tension and it should come off.The passenger side one is a bit harder,once i got the nut off it took me two vice grips to get it off lol.

In terms of prep work i just gave them a quick rub over with 400 grade and got rid of old flaky paint.

Also just a note,when your putting them back on it helps to put a bit of lubricant grease around the boss and inside where the wiper arm slots into it.I used marine grade.

Looks good! Been meaning to do the wipers on mine for ages. They are chrome underneath the black >_<.

Amazing how something like a scuttle panel and wiper paint job makes you feel so much more in love with the car haha.

yeah I have to pull that bit of plastic off and paint it as well, now that I've seen the results. I painted my wiper arms ages ago but there starting to fade again

Might give this a go sometime soon

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread team.. With the black plastic beneath the window wipers, does anyone know if the rubber strip that attaches to it is sealed to the windscreen too, or just sits above it? Also is the rubber attached to the black plastic via sealant or something else eg double sided tape?

Cheers

That rubber strip is not attached to the windscreen itself,so if your pulling it off don't worry about it sticking on or anything.Its been a while since ive had a look at it,but im pretty sure that strip slides into a slot which holds it on.

• 1 year later...