SAU Community

Tv Tuners Once Again - The New Asuka

Commsman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was interested in buying one of these tuners for my v35 would u happen to know anyone that can install these in perth cheers

A few months ago I sent one to guy over there who had an import yard. I joked with him about becoming a regular installer but haven't heard anything from him recently. I'll follow that up for you.

Having said that, quite a few tuners have gone to WA & I think everyone has done their own installs. It's not overly hard, especially in a V35 as you don't have as much trim to pull off as the Stageas. Also I'm happy to respond to any PM you send me asking for advice.

• 1 month later...

It will go into a C34 you will just have to get the screen unblocked so that you can watch it while you drive.

Hi could you give me an idea of cost for ASUKA and all parts to fit to WGNC34 car has unblock fitted

Regards Sasha 2

Hi could you give me an idea of cost for ASUKA and all parts to fit to WGNC34 car has unblock fitted

Regards Sasha 2

Hi Sasha, about $250 (or less) delivered. However, I can't say if I have any for you right now. Another guy was after one & I wanted to keep one for any warranty issues that may come up. If you are patient, I may be able to get the last one to you in a few weeks.

Cheers, Leon.

• 3 weeks later...

what do you mean by good power? just not sure what constitutes good power..

ive joined them together; both antennas into 1 pair of leads (1 pos, 1 ground) and ran them into my headunit loom..

not sure if thats the right way to do it..

Hi from the email you sent me it looks like you have done everything right. Maybe try the antenna in a different spot. The furtherest apart and highest position works best. And try re-tuning it in sight with the tv transmitting tower.

I get a better tune when Im in full view of Adelaides TV tower.

thanks for the reply guys..

saw it a few days ago but didnt get a chance to test it yet..

i live in liverpool which is south west and reception isnt an issue for houses here. http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/ shows that i have green (good coverage)

my questions are that, given my wiring approach is correct:

1) does the wiring for the antennas need to be run isolated from everything else? i ran mine along the top of the roof lining and down the side A pillars then along with massive loom that runs to the rear of the car. I don't know if this will interfere with reception or hinder it if the antenna wires are sensitive?

2) the windscreens have a black lining (i believe on all cars) along the edges, do you need to avoid these? unsure if they heat up with demister lines and pose a risk to the wires.

3) the excess wiring was then just coiled and cable tied for tidiness under the mat? bad idea?

car is a late model toyota sedan.

i just feel so frustrated since installing it as everyone seems to be getting reception apart from me and I live in Sydney :(

apologies for these sorts of questions i am new to auto electronics altogether.

antenna image for reference: (taken from eBay but look exactly like them)

817aeeb040566f43467092f894d3ff2b.jpg

thanks for the reply guys..

saw it a few days ago but didnt get a chance to test it yet..

i live in liverpool which is south west and reception isnt an issue for houses here. http://myswitch.digitalready.gov.au/ shows that i have green (good coverage)

my questions are that, given my wiring approach is correct:

1) does the wiring for the antennas need to be run isolated from everything else? i ran mine along the top of the roof lining and down the side A pillars then along with massive loom that runs to the rear of the car. I don't know if this will interfere with reception or hinder it if the antenna wires are sensitive?

2) the windscreens have a black lining (i believe on all cars) along the edges, do you need to avoid these? unsure if they heat up with demister lines and pose a risk to the wires.

3) the excess wiring was then just coiled and cable tied for tidiness under the mat? bad idea?

car is a late model toyota sedan.

i just feel so frustrated since installing it as everyone seems to be getting reception apart from me and I live in Sydney :(

apologies for these sorts of questions i am new to auto electronics altogether.

antenna image for reference: (taken from eBay but look exactly like them)

Some answers

1) running near a lot of other wires could cause an issue, but not very likely. As a last resort, try moving them further away from other wires if possible.

2) I doubt that would be a problem

3) As long as no one can put weight on the cable/coax, then it will be ok. If there's a chance someones feet are going to be resting on them, I'd move the spare to somewhere else.

I saw a pic you sent me showing the 13.x volts across the antenna power wires. That should be fine.

I can't see anywhere you've made a stuff up. It's probably a PITA, but I'd recommend removing it from your car & bench testing it. You may need to find a 12V DC plug pack or a battery to do it, but that will help prove it one way or another.

Edited by Commsman

just had a go at driving somewhere else on an elevated hill sort of area..

still didnt pick up anything except sbs/tvs, but ive taken the antennas out and wiring is away from the main loom and isolated on its own so i'll try tonight or tomorrow and let you guys know what the results are

had a talk with someone here and the antennas are too short to pick up VHF in sydney. up north its not so much of an issue as there are UHF converters but anywhere else, we need telescopic antennas in sydney :(

Ummm, if they are the antennas from me, or similar, they are for DTV, not VHF. What tuner do you have?

im using the new Asukas bought from Andy in Sydney (has HD function), some digital TV guys identified the antennas that came with it as DTV antennas that are suitable only for UHF (SBS, TVS) rather than VHF (channel 7, 9, 11 etc)

Edited by seohyunjin

When you tune it are you tuning it to Australia. Sometimes they go back to Taiwan. The region might have to be set.

Other than that I would be borrowing anothet tuner to see if it does the same or try another set of aerials. The ones supplied with the tuner work well in Adelaide and everyone else.

You could also try tuning it with the aerias outside of car with vision of your main TV transmission towers if thats possible.