SAU Community

Tv Tuners Once Again - The New Asuka

Commsman

thanks for the guide, great info to have all in one place.

any word back on the possibility of an HDMI input special?

Sorry, I forgot to post the reply I got last Thursday from "Richard" in China.

Subject: Re: modified TV tuner

Dear leon,

I got your meaning and transfered it to the manufactory. It is realizable to do that, however they have to change the components parts and it will make a big change of the inner structure and the outer shell.

One important point is not the cost, but the production run. The Min order to them is 500pcs, but I will do my best to discuss with them, please keep contact with me for this issues.

I'll ask them again once they've had a chance to think about it for a while. Hopefully they will be able to produce a couple of samples. Otherwise you might need to find 499 other people who want one :unsure: .

Edited by Commsman

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big change to inner and outer doesn't sound at all positive.

and no, unfortunately i don't have 499 friends...

keep me posted, but if there's no positive news within the next week or 2 i'll just go with the normal version and put a converter in

Haha. I wouldn't know 499 people, let alone have that many friends either.. I will keep you posted tho

Cheers, Leon.

With the help of Leon, i got my tuner installed today!

AMAZING!

love it to bits, great install, top quality product with alot of features!

TOP QUALITY PRODUCT!

clear, even while driving.

Thanks again Leon. if anyone else wants any information on the tuner from a customer prospective... just ask me.

Aww, shucks :blush: . What a glowing review.

I'm glad you are happy with it. It was an easy install for me - you did all the work & I just talked about cars :thumbsup: .

• 2 weeks later...

big change to inner and outer doesn't sound at all positive.

keep me posted, but if there's no positive news within the next week or 2 i'll just go with the normal version and put a converter in

It was just confirmed that the manufacturer won't do a small production run (less than 500) of tuners with a HDMI input.

They added the AV input to the ones I got becuase that feature was part of the existing chipset & didn't require too much rejigging. I think the HDMI input requires more extensive R & D.

Sorry, there's no good news. :(

12v HDMI to composite converter?

I think he has/can get an RCA - HDMI cable (or converter) but was concerned about loss of quality going from digital to analog & wanted to keep the signal digital for as long as possible..

I don't think there will be much difference since the OEM screen is low res anyway - unless the idea was to run it into a HD screen

I think he has/can get an RCA - HDMI cable (or converter) but was concerned about loss of quality going from digital to analog & wanted to keep the signal digital for as long as possible..

I don't think there will be much difference since the OEM screen is low res anyway - unless the idea was to run it into a HD screen

I don't think you will see any difference in quality if you get a HDMI to RCA or composite converter unless you are running a 50 inch screen in your car?

I don't think you will see any difference in quality if you get a HDMI to RCA or composite converter unless you are running a 50 inch screen in your car?

Now there's an idea! I'll measure up the back to see if one will fit. The vehicles behind would love it if it was faced out the back... :laugh: .

• 3 weeks later...

have got the TV tuner installed and works a treat. Really good product. I am quite surprised at signal quality. The reason I am posting this is that I would recommend the tuner to anyone with a V or M35.

Installation wasn't to hard either , for a novice like me anyway , lol

yes i have to agree it is a great product. I ended up pulling half my boot lining down and finding the 2 x clarion antennas and wireing them up. The only issue i have with it is the reception when i am traveling. When the car is sitting still picture is clear but when i travel it seams to drop out alot. I feel that around my area i get crap reception but that shouldnt account for everywhere. May also be my tuner box as one of the arial jacks snapped off the curcuit board and i had to solder it back on. great product and exerlent service

yes i have to agree it is a great product. I ended up pulling half my boot lining down and finding the 2 x clarion antennas and wireing them up. The only issue i have with it is the reception when i am traveling. When the car is sitting still picture is clear but when i travel it seams to drop out alot. I feel that around my area i get crap reception but that shouldnt account for everywhere. May also be my tuner box as one of the arial jacks snapped off the curcuit board and i had to solder it back on. great product and exerlent service

Was it the f-type aerial connector on the new tuner that broke Josh? If it was faulty let me know & I'll send you another one. You should get good reception pretty much all over Brisbane. There may be a few dead spots behind big buildings & hills, but my (very brief) testing there showed great results.

Was it the f-type aerial connector on the new tuner that broke Josh? If it was faulty let me know & I'll send you another one. You should get good reception pretty much all over Brisbane. There may be a few dead spots behind big buildings & hills, but my (very brief) testing there showed great results.

it was the very top arial f connector that you plug into. female port. ive never had good reception with my install. only when stationary. may just be a black sheep

it was the very top arial f connector that you plug into. female port. ive never had good reception with my install. only when stationary. may just be a black sheep

I'll send you another so you can swap it out to test. Could also be a stray 'hair' of the shield braid touching the centre conductor on one of the aerial coaxs, but will be easier to fault find with another tuner.