SAU Community

Tv Tuners Once Again - The New Asuka

Commsman

because your popup display can do 1080p :P

ohh i guess 11 and 7mate are HD only. so i take that smart ass comment back lol

When I installed my reverse camera I decided to connect the pop up display to the tuner as well as my double din Eclipse. I figured when reversing it would be better to not look down too much.

It took me a minute to work out why the pop up display looked so crap (NTSC - check, ahh resolution). Funnily enough, when I dropped it down to 480 lines (I think) and it worked, the HD Eclipse still looked pretty good. It's not quite as easy to read the headlines scrolling across the bottom of the screen as it was in 1080p, but in general it's OK.

I figured it's only a few remotes clicks away from restoring the HD if it ever ticked me off.

RE the HD channels, the tuner still receives them OK. It just transmits them to the screen in whatever format you require.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great info guys.

commsman: in your travels, have you come across a tv tuner with an hdmi receiver? I'm keen to run hdmi out of my phone and into the factory A/V system. The phone (samsung galaxy s, soon to be a galaxy s 2 ) will also do RCA via 3.5mm, but it's a noisy signal that i think would need particularly high impedance inputs to counter this :\

edit: forgot to mention, I'm aware of the hdmi to rca convertor boxes available from ebay, etc, but with the A/V signals already bouncing through so many boxes, i'm keen to avoid any extra equipment if possible...

I've only ever seen HDMI out on car tuners, sorry.

However, I can ask the manufacturer if they could do one for you. This exquisite one (sorry, I just love it on their brochure) never came with the AV input originally. That was a mod they did for me so we could run other devices thru it. They modded 2 samples and had them to me to test in about a week!

Let me get back to you on that one.

Edit - can you do without the AV input? ie if they changed it so that the HDMI connector was an input (not output) and it didn't have the AV input would that do? Or do you want it as it is PLUS a HDMI input?

Edited by Commsman

That's just typical. Installed my Asuka a couple of months ago and now this one comes along with HD- the Asuka is only SD. Hmm.... might have to get one....

Great looking tuner and good price too Leon!

I'm glad you think so. Many hours over many weeks trying to get good hardware at the right price. I take it the one I sent you has arrived?

I've only ever seen HDMI out on car tuners, sorry.

However, I can ask the manufacturer if they could do one for you. This exquisite one (sorry, I just love it on their brochure) never came with the AV input originally. That was a mod they did for me so we could run other devices thru it. They modded 2 samples and had them to me to test in about a week!

Let me get back to you on that one.

Edit - can you do without the AV input? ie if they changed it so that the HDMI connector was an input (not output) and it didn't have the AV input would that do? Or do you want it as it is PLUS a HDMI input?

I think i would probably want to retain the rca input as i want to be able to fit a reversing camera at some point (unless there is another way around this that i'm not aware of) but if there's no way to have both then the HDMI is the one that i need. if you could enquire with the supplier as to whether or not it is possible it would be much appreciated.

thanks

I think i would probably want to retain the rca input as i want to be able to fit a reversing camera at some point (unless there is another way around this that i'm not aware of) but if there's no way to have both then the HDMI is the one that i need. if you could enquire with the supplier as to whether or not it is possible it would be much appreciated.

thanks

There is a way around that.

You can either

1) add another source input into the OEM tuner for the reverse camera

2) fit a relay that switches between the New tuner's input (TV or AUX) or the Reverse camera.

because your popup display can do 1080p :P

ohh i guess 11 and 7mate are HD only. so i take that smart ass comment back lol

Yes indeed. I was going to make a crack about needing hdmi input until I saw that the next comment was any other connection gave poor quality with noise....

Yes, I miss maaaaaaaaaate, 11 and one of the 9 channels- go or gem, whichever is HD. Simpsons, futurama and Knight Rider- does it get any better?

Oh and Leon- what did yo send me? Must be confusing me with someone else :rolleyes:

My 3 drive ac arrived today...without Stagea specific instructions....

Edited by andynogo

There is a way around that.

You can either

1) add another source input into the OEM tuner for the reverse camera

2) fit a relay that switches between the New tuner's input (TV or AUX) or the Reverse camera.

I like the sound of that relay idea :thumbsup:

For the factory system: Don't forget that any cameras or inputs you add on need to be in NTSC as our factory screens only support ntsc. Obviously if you have an aftermarket screen then it's whatever that screen is designed for.

Oh and Leon- what did yo send me? Must be confusing me with someone else :rolleyes:

Sorry, my bad. I didn't send you anything. Tuners have gone out to 3 or 4 guys & I was talking to you about the throttle controller / cruise control and got all confused.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't send you anything. Tuners have gone out to 3 or 4 guys & I was talking to you about the throttle controller / cruise control and got all confused.

:thumbsup: I get confused all the time.....

I've decided to put together some info to help you DIY.

It'll be pretty basic to start with but I'll add more as questions are asked. If anyone else wants to contribute, please feel free to do so.

I've not done a V35 install (yet) so I've borrowed pics from other threads. I hope to have some of my own in a short while.

The steps will be numbered so anyone can add a part A or B etc if sub steps are wanted with more detail.

Cheers, Leon

Step 1 :- Locate your OEM tuner

M35 - LHS

post-76144-0-49654700-1300006892_thumb.jpg

V35 - In boot

post-76144-0-86537700-1300007123_thumb.jpg

Step 2 :- Get 12V & Earth

You can use the 12V that powers the OEM tuner, but I recommend running a dedicated power cable from the front fuse panel (behind kick panel in driver footwell). You are less likely to overload the existing wiring (not really a big chance though) and will have extra capacity if you need more power for other devices later. When you consider that you need to run other cables to the front, you might as well put the power wire in at the same time.

BTW, accessory power is OK. Unlike the Asuka tuner, these don't lose their station memories when you turn the power off.

The earth connection is as simple at putting the wire under a convenient screw/bolt that makes a good connection to the chassis. Use a eyelet style connector on the end.

Edited by Commsman

Step 3 :- Connect antennas

If you have a M35 with factory antennas, cut off the original connectors and combine 2 into one new F-type connector. I recommend soldering the twisted inner conductors to provide greater strength.

post-76144-0-95178100-1300011771_thumb.jpg

The antennas are powered and so require 12V to work. I left mine powered from the OEM tuner (they work OK) but some previous installations haven't worked properly when done this way. It is therefore recommended to connect the power wires on/from the antennas to your new 12V supply wire.

You will need to cut a hole in the side of the plastic cubby hole for the antennas and other cables. Make sure it is in a good position due to the short length. Up high is probably best. A holesaw or even a stanley knife will cut through the plastic.

If you have a V35, you will need to use the supplied powered antennas. These seem to work best when placed on the front & back windscreens. You will need to run a coax cable under the trim on the A pillar and back under the door sill trim panel. Likewise, run the coax for the rear antenna under the C pillar trim and into the boot.

Step 4 :- Connect Infrared Receiver

While you have the door sill and other trim off, lay the IR cable along and place the receiver end where it will be easy to aim a remote control at. Most people stick it just above the passenger side kick panel.

I put mine at the top of the passenger side B pillar so my back seat passengers could easily use the remote. Also, my lead was only 3m long & wouldn't reach to the front :(. I requested 5m long leads for the production models so you can choose the best position.

post-76144-0-23966100-1300012919_thumb.jpg

Step 5:- Connect new tuner to OEM AUX in

Plug the connecting lead from the new tuner (RCA outputs) to the AUX in (white connector) on the OEM tuner.

M35

post-76144-0-16907200-1300018664_thumb.jpg

V35

post-76144-0-42260500-1300018729_thumb.jpg

You can make a cable in about 30 minutes or so by cutting a RCA lead & soldering on connectors taken from an old computer.

I can also send you one that looks a bit like this, though I've since used heat shrink around the whole thing to strengthen it & make it look a little better.

post-76144-0-14647500-1300018570_thumb.jpg

Step 6:- Test operation

In its simplest form, your new digital tuner should now be operational. By selecting the AUX on your front screen/buttons, you should see the setup menu and be able to configure your new tuner (using the remote) to output NTSC, set the correct resolution and scan for TV signals.

Stay tuned later for further steps that will make your TV operation easier & more enjoyable.