SAU Community

R32 V Spec Front Bars?

Hi Guys,

Doing some research on the R32 GTR V Specs, as I'm looking to pick one up soon.

Found out the obvious bits like Brembos, BBS Wheels, retuned ATTESA system etc but I've noticed that the front bars on some examples are different. Some of them have the two rectangular openings (one each side of the number plate) and some don't have any. Were there two different front bars fitted at the factory or are they specific to the each V Spec model or what?

SilverVSpecIIfrontbumper.jpg

WhiteVSpecIIfrontbumper.jpg

Edited by JDMracer

I'm not 100% but i think in early models it only came in V-Spec. later 93-onwards all came with the front bumper vents.

Well the few I've seen without the extra holes have been on a V Spec I, so I assumed it might have been specific to them but the white one pictured above is apparently a V Spec II, which made me wonder whether it was an original front bar.

Stuff like this may have been covered before - you know at some point in the last however many years this place has been going.

The cut outs are not linked to the V spec cars. They are derived from the Nismo Group A evolution homologation Nissan (Nismo) built in 1990.

Some V specs may have them, some may not. They may or may not be original. Most would have been built without them.

As an aside V-specs are a waste of money unless you want

A. To keep the thing stock and basically not use it.

B. To brag about how your car is a Vspec.

Stuff like this may have been covered before - you know at some point in the last however many years this place has been going.

The cut outs are not linked to the V spec cars. They are derived from the Nismo Group A evolution homologation Nissan (Nismo) built in 1990.

Some V specs may have them, some may not. They may or may not be original. Most would have been built without them.

I tried searching here and on the net, and the only thing I could find in regards to the front bars was this on the Wiki page:

The Skyline GT-R 'Nismo', introduced on February 22, 1990, has a total production of 560 units as required for the "Evolution" models regulation (over 500). Its purpose is to homologate a number of aerodynamic changes used in Group A racing. Changes include additional ducts in the front bumper to improve airflow to the intercooler, a bonnet lip spoiler to direct more air into the engine bay, and an additional boot lip spoiler to provide more downforce. The 'Nismo' GT-R was only available in Gunmetal Grey.

Sounds like this related only to the Nismo versions, not necessarily the V Spec versions, hence the question. The fact that some have and some haven't seems a bit odd.

Yes I am looking at buying a stock standard, unmodified R32 V Spec and keeping it that way :)

Edited by JDMracer

Sounds like this related only to the Nismo versions, not necessarily the V Spec versions, hence the question. The fact that some have and some haven't seems a bit odd.

Yes I am looking at buying a stock standard, unmodified R32 V Spec and keeping it that way :)

Well done... us "stockers" can keep together.....:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Bob.

You will find these ducts on MANY R32s, be it V spec, standard, N1, Nismo etc, they were standard on the Nismo and Maybe N1s, but have been added to a lot of others. The best indication of if they were a factory fit or done later is to have a look at the bumper reo, as they go straight through it, and the normal approach to this seems to be to hack a hole in the standard reo rather than go and buy the factory Nismo reo that I am guessing must exist.

The lip on the leading edge of the bonnet, and also the lip under the rear wing were also often added, but are again only standard on the Nismo and possibly N1s.

SilverVSpecIIfrontbumper.jpg

WhiteVSpecIIfrontbumper.jpg

1st pic is a R32 GTR with a Nismo Front Bar.

2nd pic is a R32 GTR with the OEM Nissan Front Bar.

Nismo Bodykits can be added on after, does not matter if the R32 is a base model or V-Spec range.

Rectangular vents are there to allow more air to the intercooler.

thumbsup.gif