SAU Community

Build Thread: Adam's Nissan Stagea C34

Run-It-Hard

It feels like and sounds like mine opens up half way sometimes. The screamer is quieter sometimes than other times it's really wierd. But yeah will deffinately be going back to Tial next time.

The more I think of it, the more silly the idea on it being the cooler sounds. I've seen/heard of Skylines pumping out plenty of power with them.

Meh, it'll do for now. Just was expecting quite a bit more. Pretty shitty how all this shit happened with the turbos injectors, only to put down a dissmal power figure, should of just left the turbo stock lol.

Edited by Run-It-Hard

By looking at all your previous mods, i would say you're more than capable of being able to drill and weld in nuts on the cooler piping and measure pressure before cooler and pressure drop after cooler with a boost gauge.

I do think your intercooler could be at fault because the air has half the space to move through. It's essentialy pushing it through a intercooler half height but twice length.

It was tested with the first TD06, I had a 2psi drop I think, I've been told "that's not too bad" but yeah who knows.

I'm going to try out a mates JJR return flow and see if there is any noticable difference. I really want to stick to return flow to keep it all looking stock.

I've found a used HKS type S kit in Japan which I'm contemplating on getting too, they look like a normal core and have the piping come back to the OEM position. Can't find much info on them though I doubt they'd be restrictive.

DSCN2504.jpg

Edited by Run-It-Hard

PHOTO DUMP: CURSED SUNDAYS DRIFT DAY - VIEW ON THE BLOG!

Nissan-Stagea-Skyline-drift-1.jpg

Pictures from Cursed Sunday’s private day have just emerged from Streamline Media and they managed to get quite a few pics of the Stagea and Skyline. Most of these were taken early on in the day, you can see that my front lip is already mangled though haha.

R33-skyline-drift-4.jpg

Benny baking hard.

Nissan-Stagea-drift-7.jpg

Stagea following suit.

R33-skyline-drift-3.jpg

Putting on a show

Nissan-Stagea-drift-4.jpg

My week old lip demolished, nothing a few cable ties didn’t fix!

R33-skyline-drift-2.jpg

Benny has a knack for loosing his side skirts, he rolled up next to me on the straight and I could hear something scrapping, I’m like “uhh bro, you ran over your sideskirt”. Funnily enough it was still mostly intact and went back on the car.

Nissan-Stagea-drift-5.jpg

Blurry Stagea is blurry.

R33-skyline-drift-1.jpg

Benny is so happy that the R33 pumps out smoke now, we made a switch to Rotalla tyres … they are pretty rad for the price, grip right to the belts, don't delam and smoke up. What more could you want?

Nissan-Stagea-drift-1.jpg

Ah, it was a good day. We are doing it all again on the 27th on the new EC South circuit. Can’t wait!

I don't usually come over this side of the forum but i have just spent the last 45 minutes at work (slow day!) reading every page of this build and i must say Adam through all the shit, depressing, dissapointing moments that have happened with your build you've managed to overcome it all and built a sick sideways machine! I'm personally not a huge fan of the Stagea's but this has certainly changed my view on them, especially with stance like that!

Hat off to you mate, goodluck with whatever you do

It was tested with the first TD06, I had a 2psi drop I think, I've been told "that's not too bad" but yeah who knows.

I'm going to try out a mates JJR return flow and see if there is any noticable difference. I really want to stick to return flow to keep it all looking stock.

I've found a used HKS type S kit in Japan which I'm contemplating on getting too, they look like a normal core and have the piping come back to the OEM position. Can't find much info on them though I doubt they'd be restrictive.

DSCN2504.jpg

I would say 2psi is a fair drop if it's only 10psi in. If it's 20 psi in and 2psi drop not too bad.

Forgive me for not looking back through previous posts to confirm but if you are running more boost or a higher flowing turbo since it was tested that pressure drop could have escalated.

The HKS unit pictured does look extremely well crafted. Very nice sloping end tanks. Massive height core though !

+1 on the return flow to keep engine bay piping stock looking. Try out your mates JJR and best of luck !!!

Your latest pics also look awesome. Love seeing a sideways stagea.

Perhaps a new Blitz (se?) return flow cooler might be worth looking at, around $600 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLITZ-SE-INTERCOOLER-KIT-SKYLINE-R32-R33-R34-HCR32-ECR33-ER34-RB20DET-RB25DET-/320842554529?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab3b4dca1

Love the front lip mod. Im Soooooooooooo going to grab one. One day...... to fix the cut away centre bottom of my dayz bar

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370642933863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Seriously don't waste the extra cash on name brand, the jjr cooler is just fine plenty of ppl use them and make solid power i made all my diff power fig & turbo combos on the stag using one

@Jez

I've been thinking about it HEAPS these past couple of days. I think that drop was at a low boost setting too, so higher could mean a bigger drop.

Also thought, how can my 12cm rear housing make 230kw on 14psi, and the 10cm only make 235kw on 18psi. Obviously there should be a variance due to the rear housing size, but 4psi to make 5kw kinda tells me something is restricting it (ie intercooler). Makes me wonder why my mech or tuner didn't think anything of this =/

So I guess the setup I have now is good for around 220-230kw @ around 15psi. Anything more and it starts to choke.

Then I came to the design of a new intercooler setup. I was thinking of going a normal cooler and putting in a bend like the HKS setup, but measured it all up and realised it wont fit without going under the cooler, and that means the pipe will be hanging super low.

I'm really stumped at the moment, I'm thinking of just going the blitz or maybe the HKS (can get it pretty cheap) and be done with it. I'm worried that if I went JJR I'd have a similar problem with it causing a restriction. If I were running a bigger turbo (i.e Garret 3076) I would be able to make power on less boost and I don't think it'll be a problem then. But Ideally I want 20psi, if a JJR can handle that or not without causing a similar problem I don't know.

Pros on the HKS/Blitz

HKS uses 3 inch piping
HKS has designed the core and fin layout specifically for return flow, as I'm sure blitz has aswell.
Blitz uses 3 to 2.5 piping

Blitz has been proven to handle over 300kw with ease

Cons on the HKS/Blitz

price to replace the core if/when I stack it at the track
Not much info on the HKS in terms of people using it, but the design looks solid

Pros on the JJR

Price point, $400 for a full kit is cheap

Would be easy to replace if I stack it at the track

Cons on the JJR

Seems that few people make big power with them, and others happen to have problems ... is it the boost they run or turbo size I don't know.

Pros on super dooper custom shit (conventional cooler made for return flow)

Cheap, can probably do it for $300
would be easy to replace the core if I stack it (and cheap)
can design it how I want it

cons on super dooper custom shit

a lot of pipe work

worried that the sharp 180 degree bend will hinder the intercoolers performance, and in turn cause a restriction.
Need to figure out where to run the return pipe, going under will hang too low and behind looks like there isn't much room
effort to fabricate, setup etc.

Ideally I'd like to do the custom piece, but I'm just worried the bend will cause restrictions. Then I figured why don't I just do something like the XR6T/F6 coolers.

!B9zMd7wEGk~$(KGrHqMOKjkEzJ08J5DBBM6zsvs

Slightly smaller than a nomal core coming in at 500x260x65, and would allow room for a return pipe.

Or, I could just get the HKS and ship it via sea (would be super cheap then) if I stack it, make a conventional cooler fit the piping.

At the end of the day, I want the intercooler to be happy with 20ishpsi, and not cause a restriction to enable around 260-280kw like the TD06 should be making.

So yeah that's where I'm at, at the moment. Been thinking about it a lot as you guys can see lol

Edited by Run-It-Hard

I don't usually come over this side of the forum but i have just spent the last 45 minutes at work (slow day!) reading every page of this build and i must say Adam through all the shit, depressing, dissapointing moments that have happened with your build you've managed to overcome it all and built a sick sideways machine! I'm personally not a huge fan of the Stagea's but this has certainly changed my view on them, especially with stance like that!

Hat off to you mate, goodluck with whatever you do

Thank you for the kind words Sean! It has been a roller coaster with this Stagea, just like my R33 build previously ... I must be unlucky with Nissans or something lol.

Seriously don't waste the extra cash on name brand, the jjr cooler is just fine plenty of ppl use them and make solid power i made all my diff power fig & turbo combos on the stag using one

I'm just worried that if I do go JJR and I run 20psi through it, it'll choke up like my current setup. How much boost have you run through yours?

It's odd, some guys have problems with the JJR and others don't.

I was thinking something along the lines of this, but with a 600x300 cooler.

48026066.jpg

21631558.jpg

57151543.jpg

Just worried about the length of the return pipe, and the bend going into the intercooler. But considering some people setups like this:

24112009.jpg

I should be ok, otherwise people wouldn't do it, right?

I hate when I over-think things =/

Wow you have been doing alot of thinking !

If i put those into simplicity + cost factor it would probably go in this order

1. Friends JJR test

2. Custom SupaDoopa intercooler (see attached)

3. Ford XR6T

4. HKS/Blitz

My suggestion on a Custom intercooler would be a top/bottom tank style. End tanks could be made of 2.5"-3" tube pipe cut along on an angle.

post-58831-0-71224500-1361501206_thumb.jpg

post-58831-0-62552900-1361501220_thumb.jpg

post-58831-0-32406700-1361501949_thumb.jpg

That's a good idea!

Something like this eh?

cpsmdtopcool.jpg

Can find anything in a decent size though.

This is what I am running at the momment.

au-ic0014-1.jpg

I like the custom idea as you can get plenty of 600x300 cores cheap (theres a few on ebay for $50 new never used lol) the piping would probably cost $200 in material, and then get my mate to weld it all up. It's just effort doing it all I guess. I guess I know for a fact that a 600x300 intercooler won't be a restriction too. Just running the return pipe will be the tricky part.

Edited by Run-It-Hard

Found a pic of those XR6T upgrade coolers compared to a OEM one.

i.jpg

Looks like a good option too.

I wonder if I could mount it with the return facing towards the reo, hmm.

Edited by Run-It-Hard

That's a good idea!

Something like this eh?

cpsmdtopcool.jpg

Can find anything in a decent size though.

This is what I am running at the momment.

au-ic0014-1.jpg

I like the custom idea as you can get plenty of 600x300 cores cheap (theres a few on ebay for $50 new never used lol) the piping would probably cost $200 in material, and then get my mate to weld it all up. It's just effort doing it all I guess. I guess I know for a fact that a 600x300 intercooler won't be a restriction too. Just running the return pipe will be the tricky part.

Try gkech for a better version of the first cooler.