SAU Community

Intake Compairson Thread From G35Driver

Interesting reading, but as someone who has just installed the Takeda intake (which retains use of the Power Duct but replaces everything back), it's sort of like being told there's no Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny died of myxomatosis... If I read the data correctly, I should expect *less* horsepower (3) than the standard filter. Seriously, I find that hard to believe but then I didn't put the car on a dyno either.

Maybe there's something in how the ECU deals with different air flows detected by the MAF after all.

Thanks.

Edited by Stuart McK

wouldn't really put the car on the dyno over an intake mod, mainly because most dyno tuneups are done with the hood open and a fan forcing air to the engine bay, hardly replicating the *real world* driving with the hood down in heavy traffic and 45 degree heatwave

What is wrong with the stock intake?

Stock inlet path is designed and built to ensure the vehicle meets emission and road regulations. This is why, for example, it has that odd air baffle hanging below it. Replacing it with a straight-through, in theory, should provide the engine with a faster path for taking in cold air (which increases explosion quality). Replacing the stock filter with a lifetime cone filter also means I save money on services (although when you consider the cost of either, it's arguable how much you really saved).

But then there's the additional growl level offered when you put your foot down... rolleyes.gif

Stock inlet path is designed and built to ensure the vehicle meets emission and road regulations. This is why, for example, it has that odd air baffle hanging below it. Replacing it with a straight-through, in theory, should provide the engine with a faster path for taking in cold air (which increases explosion quality). Replacing the stock filter with a lifetime cone filter also means I save money on services (although when you consider the cost of either, it's arguable how much you really saved).

But then there's the additional growl level offered when you put your foot down... rolleyes.gif

im running the stock box no worries. seems to flow enough.

more interesting was the almost stock looking Stillen Set up.. has anyone here done it?

im running the stock box no worries. seems to flow enough.

more interesting was the almost stock looking Stillen Set up.. has anyone here done it?

I have the Stillen box with the Z-tube and it does indeed make a difference. I only dyno'd my car after the Stillen box, Plenum spacer and HFCs were installed so it would be difficult to ascertain what individual component is responsible for the gains. I can however vouge for the fact that it is a lot more responsive, it sounds a lot better (with the Z tube) and especially mid-range torque (between 3000-5500 rpm) seems to be up a notch. I'm quite happy to see it responsible for the most power gains on his thread...quite subjective but good to see :thumbsup:

I have the Stillen box with the Z-tube and it does indeed make a difference. I only dyno'd my car after the Stillen box, Plenum spacer and HFCs were installed so it would be difficult to ascertain what individual component is responsible for the gains. I can however vouge for the fact that it is a lot more responsive, it sounds a lot better (with the Z tube) and especially mid-range torque (between 3000-5500 rpm) seems to be up a notch. I'm quite happy to see it responsible for the most power gains on his thread...quite subjective but good to see :thumbsup:

well running the turbo VQ25 engine, the Z-tube isnt compatible with our engines. only the box would be necessary.

whats the retail on one of those.

well running the turbo VQ25 engine, the Z-tube isnt compatible with our engines. only the box would be necessary.

whats the retail on one of those.

http://www.importpartspro.com/402835g35.html

US$ to $AUS is currently similar, so just add shipping (~$100). Becomes expensive by itself...

And here's another thread where it was installed: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/295327-new-parts-installed/page__p__4923762__hl__cold+air+intake__fromsearch__1#entry4923762

hmm. seems the cheaper option would be the "takedo" or something. not really sure whether it would fit in our engine bay, and if it bolts up the same way. stillen works in ours with the AFM housing bolting to the box.

hmm. seems the cheaper option would be the "takedo" or something. not really sure whether it would fit in our engine bay, and if it bolts up the same way. stillen works in ours with the AFM housing bolting to the box.

Hard to say. Perhaps you'd get some clue here: http://afepower.com/...=V6&&brandID=78

Note the installation instructions PDF with pictures of the engine bay, and ignore the price on the factory website (I got mine cheaper).

I also note that the Stillen box appears to point the cone at an angle. This may allow it to take air direct into the side of the cone, rather than hitting it almost head on. The Takedo design is angled, but it doesn't look as much). Still I'm happy with the Takeda though - engine seems much more responsive than before.

Edited by Stuart McK