SAU Community

Upgrade Time ? help!!!

if you want with that much money you could sell the rb25det and put in a rb26dett and play around with the engine. with some hks2530s, bigger cooler,up the boost etc it would be a monster

do u want a drag car or a street car. with 10K you could have a serious turbo setup but lag would be a biatch.

well you're gonna need rocket proof forgies and repairing of whatever you broke contiuing to drive it, since you never took care of the old engine.. Doubt you'll have much change out of $10k by the time you get all that and try for a bigger turbo and the like.

well you're gonna need rocket proof forgies and repairing of whatever you broke contiuing to drive it, since you never took care of the old engine.. Doubt you'll have much change out of $10k by the time you get all that and try for a bigger turbo and the like.

sorry if you got confused but we have 2 gtst's and the one we are upgrading is not broken. so if you seen my post with the dyno graph thats the car we are upgrading.

sorry to confuse you.

• 3 weeks later...
decision has been made and were going with the RB26 conversion !

is their any little details that we should know ?  

it should be in and running hopfuly before july - august

were using the rb25 gear box, clutch, fly wheel.

did you consider the rb30 option? like from R.I.P.S etc alot cheaper than getting an rb26 and having to rebuild that to make sure.

"easier to make a fast car go faster" - quote from latest issue of HPI

moral of the story? sell the r33 GTSt and buy an r32 GTR. in a year you will have more money to put into it and you'll be laughing then...

- i agree Waz, sell the R33 GTS-t, buy a R32 GT-R, GT-R's hold their value alot longer than any GTS-t will, but then again GT-R parts cost abit :(

Has there been any threads on this conversion?I know its been done a million times before a how to guide would be great.And a quick question would you ditch the 4wd gearbox in favor for the stock r33 box and would it be a straight bolt up conversion??

"Craved"

The Rb26 has poped up and it seemed like a good deal with low genine klm's

"usuckpoo"

well we had the option of putting bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump, ecu etc but the rb26 has a lot more potential and in a lighter shell (gtst) it will be a lot quicker then a standard gtr.

"sock"

although the R32 is a cheaper option, the life span on the engine wouldn't be as good as an R33 with low klm's. i disagree with the valve if you look and you will see that the valve has droped a fair bit. its going to be a unique car so it should have a lot of intrest if it decides to be sold, which i doubt as its going to be used for a drag car. Also we thought that it would be a great project to do and to get to know a little bit more about the RB engines.

"Trust33"

I have searched and havent found anything so far. but im intrested to see what other guys thoughts are. were using the rb25 gear box to make the conversion cheaper and yes it will bolt straight up.

any more thoughts ?

Trust 33 did you mean with the RB26 conversion use the 4wd gearbox hence making the gtst a 4wd? If so it can't be done. Well not without a lot of friging around.

We looked into this option when we brought in an R34 GTR V-spec with significant front end damage. The Chassis rails on the GTR and GTS are different, if however the R33 are different I'd be very interested as I’m about to convert my auto 33 to manual, and the prospect of just going the hole hog and dumping an RB26 in would be very interesting to say the least...

which i doubt as its going to be used for a drag car.
If your intent of this 'upgrade' is to make a fast drag car (tell me anyone that does drag racing to go slow) then your best off going to an R32 GTR simply because its faster from the factory than any GTS-t (even a GTS-t with $5k put into it).

I've seen 'basically' stock R32 GTR's in the low 12's. To get a low 12 out of a GTS-t your gonna need $10k in mods + $20k for the car. Your best off picking up an R32 GTR (which in some cases are the same price as an R33 GTS-t) and then throwing $3-5k into it (to tidy it up) and your scratching on 11's.

I've been seriously considering it myself. Originally I never liked the shape of R32's but i've seen a few nice clean straight 1's lately and they are really growing on me (its just the 15yr old dash design which is really holding me back).

"sock"

although the R32 is a cheaper option, the life span on the engine wouldn't be as good as an R33 with low klm's. i disagree with the valve if you look and you will see that the valve has droped a fair bit. its going to be a unique car so it should have a lot of intrest if it decides to be sold, which i doubt as its going to be used for a drag car. Also we thought that it would be a great project to do and to get to know a little bit more about the RB engines.

any more thoughts ?

Cameron, what car is the RB26DETT out of, a R34 GTR, R33 or R32?it will be interesting to see how well the car goes once all modifications are completed.

If your intent of this 'upgrade' is to make a fast drag car (tell me anyone that does drag racing to go slow) then your best off going to an R32 GTR simply because its faster from the factory than any GTS-t (even a GTS-t with $5k put into it).  

I've seen 'basically' stock R32 GTR's in the low 12's. To get a low 12 out of a GTS-t your gonna need $10k in mods + $20k for the car. Your best off picking up an R32 GTR (which in some cases are the same price as an R33 GTS-t) and then throwing $3-5k into it (to tidy it up) and your scratching on 11's.  

I've been seriously considering it myself. Originally I never liked the shape of R32's but i've seen a few nice clean straight 1's lately and they are really growing on me (its just the 15yr old dash design which is really holding me back).

its not going to be a full on drag car.. its going to be street use and drag were not tubbing it.

"Originally I never liked the shape of R32's" - thats part of the reason why were not going the R32 plus as i said the engine wont have as long a life span to compare to the R33 RB26 that we found.

were putting a GTR motor in a gtst not doing the rb25 up.

" then your best off going to an R32 GTR simply because its faster from the factory than any GTS-t (even a GTS-t with $5k put into it)."