SAU Community

R33 Diff Abs V Non Abs

AFAIK the only difference between ABS and non-ABS skyline diffs is the ABS halfshaft flanges have the ABS teeth on them. If both diffs are VLSD units the halfshafts flanges should swap straight over.

• 4 weeks later...

so essentially there is no diffrence? only the half shafts are diff?..... so if i needed i could fit a ABS diff in my non abs car using my current non abs shafts?

Well I went the other way, I put a centre from my non-ABS 32 into my ABS wagon housing but had to use the 32s' half shafts as the wagons open centre half shafts were too small for the VLSD centre, I pressed off the ABS teeth and pressed them onto the non-ABS half shafts.

So if both centres are R200 VLSD units, either shafts should fit as there is no difference in length between the ABS and non-ABS shafts, the teeth are just a collar.

Edited by bubba

sweet so there is no difference... just the abs sensor collar for abs cars..... only asking coz there is a ABS diff available and i want to shim it up and put it in..... so for r33 the dimensions are the same abs-non abs no need for long tailshafts like the s-chassis

The housing and gears in my 32 are S13 items with an 32 back plate, not aware if there is a difference in input shaft length between ABS and non-ABS for S13s.

Edited by bubba

i always thought abs diffs were longer in the 'snout' so the tailshaft was different lengths between abs and non abs?? , so the pinion gear is longer in abs models??

If that model of car has the ABS sensor on the tailshaft side of things then probably yes, but if the model has the ABS sensors on the halfshafts, then no.

• 1 month later...

hey can anyone give me some help?

I was in the process or swapping over a non abs shimmed diff from a s1 r33 into my r33 s2 (has abs)... we then realised the snout of the non abs diff housing was shorter.

If i were to swap the tailshaft from the s1 would it all be sweet?

Edited by Luke_GTS-T

R33 Non-ABS Diff is shorter

R33 ABS Diff is longer, with a sensor plugged into the side, has a cable coming out of it

R33 half shafts are the same in both. I believe you guys are getting mixed up with S15 and R34 diffs, the sensor is on the shaft output.. has a ring with grooves on it.