SAU Community

C34 A Pillar Wind Noise

slippylotion

Hey

I recently bought a S2 stagea and for the first time last week had it sitting on 110km/h on the highway and noticed how much wind noise I can here around the bottom of the windscreen at the A pillars. It's the same both sides of the car and quite LOUD. I assume this is where it's coming from. It's 100% not the door seals as I pushed on the window and can clearly hear the wind caused by pushing the glass off the seal. Very shocked to hear this as otherwise it's very quiet in the car with no other noises.

Does anyone else have this problem with their 34 stagea and is there any fixes for it?

Thanks guys

Edited by slippylotion

No weather shields on my car. So these will stop the noise?

Can people with weather shields confirm if they do/don't have wind noise let me know an also if people without weather shield let me know if they do/don't have win noise.

But keep in mind I'm certain it's not coming in via the window seals and it sounds like it's coming from around the front of th A pillars.

Cheers

i have had weather shields off my car, then on, and it has made no significant difference.

i would suggest its the seal around the window. it doesnt take much to catch some air and make a noise. mine was lifted slightly on the drivers side towards the lower edge - i just pushed it back in, and it stopped the noise.

i have had weather shields off my car, then on, and it has made no significant difference.

Bull shit.

With mine on was silent as a mouse. pulled them off cos they look shocking IMO and hello wind noise :(

what - with the windows open?

if anything having them on should INCREASE noise.

hence why lexus stopped offering them on their LS400's because they increased in-cabin NVH levels. keeping in mind that car had the lowed drag co-efficient AND lowest in-cabin dB reading of ANY car in production at the time.

but you're entitled to an opinion - just as in my opinion the weather shields look sh1t hot! very JDM. i've sprayed the reverse side of mine with black gloss, and sikaflexed them on so that they're water tight. not only are they now very functional, but they look a million times better.

so thats +1 for noisier WITH. +1 for noisier WITHOUT. and +1 for no differnce at all.......

hmm, some inconsistencies in results! hahahah

but seriously, check your windscreen seals, and your window seals.

do you have a sunroof? make sure its closing properly. if its not fully closed there might be an edge on the rear that catches the wind.

Windscreen seal looks to be fine as are the door glass seals. It has no sunroof. I think it might just be the weird shape of the A pillars that causes it but I find it very hard to believe that Nissan designers would have over looked this.

Im going to change the angle of the bottom of the A pillars with STIFF cardboard and gaffer tape to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by slippylotion

well its not been a common complaint as far as i know, and as you said, i doubt they'd let the car go out if it had that problem.

what about your wipers? are they different to stock?

Have shields and noise, there's a thread on here about how to adjust the closing height of your windows and it solved the problem (they weren't sealing). I just cbf raising mine up I just turn up the stereo.

I find it very hard to believe that Nissan designers would have over looked this.

wait until you take off your wing mirrors to find that they fitted sponge behind them

great for breeding rust!

yep the sponge behind the mirrors is GREAT for rust... i have to fix my rust now.. only a little on one side and too much on passanger side... :( What is better to put there instead of the sponge?

but anyway about the wind noise i have myself some irritating sound myself in higher speeds on the drivers side, and i have those nice wind/rain shit deflectors fitted on my ride... looks nice atleast.. :)

But maybe a adjustment of the window would solve that?

i got windshields, and they do make it a bit more quiet, only reason for it is because we have the "glass only doors", where as most other cars have an entire door with glass frame, which actually keeps it more airtight, my rubber is a bit squashed and once i adjusted my window, it has a 1mm gap in between window and rubber seal and damn the noise is quite irritating on really long trips. just make sure your window seals up nicely with the rubber.

also a nice fix for all your rust problems, the best fix EVER, zinc plate your main rust spots after getting them fixed. thats why AUDI is the most Rustproof car manufacturer out there. just to let you all know, thats how i get all my major rust spots fixed