SAU Community

Thoughts On This Ecu....

Just looking at plug and play ecus for my r33 gtr..

And came across this one (link to follow) my gtr just has 3,3/4 inch ss exhaust a k&n panel filter and thats it well all i know of anyway...

Here is link is it a good idea??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260763289031

Usually suited to higher octane jap fuels

IMO power fc is the go mate, i also have 33gtr and have just exhaust, cam gears, power fc and 13psi and am making a healthy and safe 260awkw

See thats what i was thinking too (Ie i am worried about our weaker fuels) just wanted to see what others thought of it before i took the plunge....

See thats what i was thinking too (Ie i am worried about our weaker fuels) just wanted to see what others thought of it before i took the plunge....

take the plunge you will love it!!!

just beware the modding bug, im about to swap turbos hahaha had the car a yr :P

I wouldn't risk installing anything like this in Aus, cos of the huge differences in fuels, climates etc between us and Japan. As stated above, best to get yourself a PowerFC or something similar and get the ECU tuned specifically for your engine, better investment to spend that extra bit of cash now rather than potentially destroy an engine.

as long as you keep the boost at a sensible psi it will do some good. just keep in mind they usually get rid of the rev limiter on these types of things so be careful not to over-do it.

So you guys reckon i should just save up the extra say $800 ish and get the power fc to be safe??.....

Dont plan on going mental with mds (I cant afford too!!) i just figure it runs rich anyway from the factory so why not make the most of the fuel being burnt and get a better ecu...

Just to note i did a ecu test (Ie the plug under the dashed pinned together etc and only got fault code 55 (which means no faults) i thougth i had a dodgy 02 sensor and thats why it stunk so much of fuel....

The standard ECU tends to go a bit silly/overboard with fuelling when the boost is increased that is why you would be getting a rich mix, best just to play it safe mate - spend the extra to get it done right the first time.

You will not only get more power but way better fuel economy as well - win, win.

hi

the ECU you are looking at on ebay is un-tunable, that is, you cannot edit the tune, update it, change it etc

it is a once only tune and you are stuck with whatever settings are on there

ie its junk and you cant use it

options such as the powerfc, vipec, motec, autronic, nistune etc let you tune the car as you want

so you can buy it, put it in your car, have your tuner "tune" it and set it up to suit your car

remaps (which is what is in the ebay ad) are basically a flash edit of the standard ECU

but the problem is no one can update the flash tune, so its basically read-only

only select few could edit that map, and it wouldn't be worth it

for a GTR, the powerfc is prefect and well worth every $

and you can resell them for the same price you basically but it for

for info on the powerfc check my signature for the PowerFC FAQ