SAU Community

Cam Choice

t04z

just trying to workout best cam choice for my setup from what i have read bigger the cam the later the power band will be, will the power band be different with an rb30 against an rb26 ie will the same cams in a 30 have a different power band than what they would in a rb26??

Didn't you start a thread asking this question not that long ago...?

From what I understand longer duration = later powerband but higher peak, higher lift = more power at given RPM?

I dunno, but really I'm sure there's plenty of info on it if you search.

Didn't you start a thread asking this question not that long ago...?

From what I understand longer duration = later powerband but higher peak, higher lift = more power at given RPM?

I dunno, but really I'm sure there's plenty of info on it if you search.

nah dude i didnt

yea been searching for an hour or so just want to know what sort of a differnce there is between rb26/30 and just a 26 do i go for less duration due to the fact i dont want to be reving the 30 as hard as a 26 or because its a 30 it has a different powerband?

Size of the engine is somewhat important - what more important is the use of the car, turbo selection, head modifications and so on.

yea thats what im trying to work out its a mostly street car that gets on the track a bit 26/30 ported and polished head, valve sprinds, ti retainers, custom hybrid turbo similar to gt35

in my opinion if its street leave standard cams i posted a thread ages ago about cams and most people came back with if its street leave the standard cams. if you have a 26 head on a 30 block leave the standard cams

If its really a street car with light track/drag duties, slap in some poncams...

Put a set of 256 (8.8mm lift I think) in my 25/30 (GT35R, stock head), piced up 70ish rwhp over the entire rev range.

some people seem to think that a RB30 swallows 280degree duration...

marko had ones around these specs, ask him...the more lift the better in most applications

yes but said engine while all good. makes just shy of 350rwkw on 20psi with dash 10's......

My picks...not guessing

JUN 9.7 264IN and EX on a 30. Easy to put in, good idle, good response.

264In 272out for a RB26 (compliments its revvy nature)

If you want to port the head do the short turns, bowl area, deshroud larger valves. Forget enlarging the ports... the bump on the exhaust port also isn't worth much.

Matt

My picks...not guessing

JUN 9.7 264IN and EX on a 30. Easy to put in, good idle, good response.

264In 272out for a RB26 (compliments its revvy nature)

If you want to port the head do the short turns, bowl area, deshroud larger valves. Forget enlarging the ports... the bump on the exhaust port also isn't worth much.

Matt

yea cheers ill just see how it all goes frist then get cams later down the track already putting in springs and retainers so i can just drop a set of cams in when im ready