SAU Community

Modern Skyline Gear Knobs?

PM-R33

the black nismo alloy knob rocks... and the heat doesnt bother me either... but one with a red glowing H diagram would be neat...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the black nismo alloy knob rocks... and the heat doesnt bother me either... but one with a red glowing H diagram would be neat...

Yeah, would be awesome if they can do it in aluminium with H pattern :D:D:D

still keen :thumbsup:

Please put one for me as well. Let me know when you buying

To easy guys. I'll PM you when I open the group buy. Might do it tonight or tomorrow.

i'm interested.. but how will it fit againt the skyline gear stick? this picture looks like the gear stick is lower down? will the boot marry up to the skyline?

dont they have to do more than just make it 10mm to fit the skyline?

ie. shape of the base surround, height of the stick, etc?

Other than the diameter the only factor is the length of the internal thread in these new gear knobs. If there is plenty of thread it will bottom out on the stick and won't be a problem. If the length is short, it may not go all the way down and sit a little bit higher. This really depends on how tall the gear stick is that you had on there before.

In regards to the gear boot. I suppose it depends how much play there is in the boot. Mine is custom made and is a bit baggy so should be allright in that respect. In regards to the base of the boot once again varies from boot to boot in how it is stitched.

However I want to replace mine with suede and I have found a manufacturer in the UK that does good ones for good prices. So we can always get custom made ones to our specifications.

Please let me know if I am over looking something.

Phil, not sure if you have mentioned this or not, but do they only make it in leather?

I want aluminium xD

The ones I posted on the first page are the ones they make. All have leather.

Basically the options are as follows (I will go into more detail in the actual group buy):

-All leather

-Leather with a ring of chrome

-Leather with a ring of aluminium

-Leather and chrome mix

-Leather and aluminium mix

Ah yes handbrake boots! Forgot about them. Definetely keen on that aswell since mine is the factory one and looks a bit old now.

Wouldn't mind actually doing something about the handbrake itself. Havn't really seen any one doing anything on a Skyline though.

my little bro has the nismo alloy one in a black 32. gets real hot in summer, but is easily fixed by removing it from the car and running it under cold water for a minute or 2...or until it stops steaming :happy:...seriously tho. it gets real hot, even under a sock

I would be keen, any idea on how they will sit ? Ive got a small "ball" shaped one and I love it, I bought another one of eBay and it was a stick type one and it sat up way to high, to the point were I was literally punching my stereo when changing to 3rd.

Just do what I done when I accidentily bought a m12 nismo knob, get a 10mm bolt, put it at the end of a screw so you have room to work with it, then using a bench grinder grind the edges till it's perfectly round and fits the m12 hole in the gear knob, then just epoxy it into the knob, whole process should take about 30 mins :)

Also just so you know why I havn't posted the group buy up yet.

I'm just trying to confirm with them whether the gear knobs actually have a thread inside them or whether they are just a hollow shaft. Because I believe a lot of European cars don't have a thread on the end of the shifter, they are just a shaft.

EDIT: Here is an install I found. See how there is no thread.

http://www.seat-leon.de/vboard/showthread.php?t=70056

The group buy will be for the gear knob only from this supplier.

There is another guy in the UK that does really good quality gear boots which we could also do a group buy for. However that isn't in the plans at the moment.

I'm just trying to confirm with them whether the gear knobs actually have a thread inside them or whether they are just a hollow shaft. Because I believe a lot of European cars don't have a thread on the end of the shifter, they are just a shaft.

I know when my mate changed his gear knob on his E46, it wasn't threaded inside the knob. Just had to pop off the old one and slide the new one on.

So they do or don't have a thread in them?

That's what I'm trying to find out.

I emailed them so waiting for a response.

If not, as Craig said, we could just hand tap them since i'm assuming the inside would be aluminium so should be soft enough to tap.