SAU Community

Trouble Modifying Gtr Mfd

Last night I decided to modify my MFD in my GTR.

I can flick the momentary switch and force it into tv mode. Problem is I keep getting to the black screen with yellow japanese comming across the middle of the screen.

I have the link soldered in aswell, that according to the tutorial will eliminate this message.

Anyone run into the same trouble and can give me a heads up on the problem.

One of the components was completely missing on the PCB board. Since Im not using the factory sat nav head unit, I stole the suface mount resistor off that and it all worked. It was the one above where the link is soldered in. Soon as i put that in I had signal no worries, so i now have a reverse camera in the gtr.

its a variation on the MFD mod posted here. you can select the 'tv' and with that selected you have the choice of reverse cam or in that case garmin navi. camera takes over when reverse is selected.

its a variation on the MFD mod posted here. you can select the 'tv' and with that selected you have the choice of reverse cam or in that case garmin navi. camera takes over when reverse is selected.

Sorry OP to hijack this thread, but here's nearly as good a place as any.

Chris - have you played around with touchscreen overlays on an MFD? I've been pondering using my MFD 'tv' button to display output from my CarPC GPS (it has the ability to do that with the second display). The drama there is that it would then really need a touchscreen overlay to be useful.

My concern with one of these would be that I have a sneaking suspicion that it would break the 'sunlight readability' of the MFD screen. The last thing I want is to lose is that. It's so nice having a clear screen even in the brightest conditions.

Any feedback or experience you have would be great.

Sorry OP to hijack this thread, but here's nearly as good a place as any.

Chris - have you played around with touchscreen overlays on an MFD? I've been pondering using my MFD 'tv' button to display output from my CarPC GPS (it has the ability to do that with the second display). The drama there is that it would then really need a touchscreen overlay to be useful.

My concern with one of these would be that I have a sneaking suspicion that it would break the 'sunlight readability' of the MFD screen. The last thing I want is to lose is that. It's so nice having a clear screen even in the brightest conditions.

Any feedback or experience you have would be great.

depends. if you are using the '$5' ebay ones - yes it does affect view. there are companies that do the newer capacitive ones that work fine. size will be the issue though. that is a odd sized screen.

I looked at it a while back when I was doing a few GTRs and the idea was to pop a overlay on the GTR screen and drive the garmin with it. had trouble finding something to fit.

does it need to be in tv mode for the auto switch to reverse cam or can it be in normal "gauge" mode and will auto switch to reverse cam when reverse is selected?

Chris, just wondering, what would be the cost of installing a reverse camera and hooking it up onto a MFD without the TV button (which means a TV button will need to be added).

Cheers

does it need to be in tv mode for the auto switch to reverse cam or can it be in normal "gauge" mode and will auto switch to reverse cam when reverse is selected?

the one I pictured above was set up using the TV button first to get an alternate image and from there the camera took over as required.

I can knock a circuit together that will switch it over whne you throw reverse and switch it back in forward gear.

as for cost probably best to ask someone down your way. I can tell you that if I did it here $600 would not be out of the question by the time I sat down and designed a proper PIC based switching circuit for it,supplied a decent camera and fitted it all.